Obligatory my thoughts post | Syracusefan.com

Obligatory my thoughts post

Millhouse

Living Legend
I am cool with the hire for a few reasons.

This staff is good. Marrone shouldn't get all the credit. I think he deserves less credit than he gets from the average observer. I thought Marrone did a good job too, I'm just talking percentage weights.

I'm not a big "stability" guy when I don't like the job the staff did. I wouldn't never not fire (DOH english much?) a guy over fears about a recruit. I am fine with stability now because they had a good year and maybe we can get better soon if Hackett is actually the brains behind the 2012 offense and if Shafer's supposed "risk taking" applies to more sensible decisions like not punting from the 32 you big stupid bufu. I put risk taking in quotes because it's only risky if you don't know the probabilities, people frame it all wrong

Also, it's January 8th. How much time do they have to do an exhaustive search? In an ideal world, they might find somebody better than Shafer. But whatever. What are the odds they would in such a rushed slapdash way? I think it shows an uncharacteristic humility by Gross if this is his call, and I welcome it.

I wish people would resist the common pitfall of always assuming that RIGHT NOW is always the most important pivotal oh my god this means everything moment. Too many people skim a Malcolm Gladwell book and start spouting incoherent in a blink it's a tipping point most important precipice ever nonsense.

Some yards per play numbers. These are averages of averages which isn't perfect but i'm doing this fast.

Since 2009. Offense 5.36 ypp. That would be 85th in the country this year on offense.

Since 2009. Defense 5.28 ypp. That would be 41st in the country this year on defense.

Shafer has been there the whole time. Hackett has been the offensive coordinator for 2 years and they've gotten better the more involved he's been. Maybe it's coincidence. i don't think so. I hope marrone gets a young numerate offensive coordinator in buffalo

When Marrone goes up tempo and gets more plays, he got the credit on offense and shafer gets dinged in overall point and yardage totals, even though the decision means you are going to gain more and give up more. That's what will happen when there are more plays in a game.

Shafer has been a very successful coordinator on a per play basis considering where we were coming from. They gave up 5.94 per play the year before he got here.

He and Hackett have earned their shot. If it doesn't work out, we'll go find someone else. We had the worst coach in the world and they turned it around pretty quick. If we can recover from the worst coach ever, we can recover from going with these guys.

wouldn't never not

a triple negative...niiiiiiccccce

I wonder how long TGD knew this was going to happen, especially now that we've heard the Marrone was inquiring about NFL jobs before the Pinstripe Bowl, and I also wonder how long TGD had Shafer tagged as the successor. Did Marrone have any input on Shafer vs Hackett replacing him? My guess, yes.

a triple negative...niiiiiiccccce

I wonder how long TGD knew this was going to happen, especially now that we've heard the Marrone was inquiring about NFL jobs before the Pinstripe Bowl, and I also wonder how long TGD had Shafer tagged as the successor. Did Marrone have any input on Shafer vs Hackett replacing him? My guess, yes.
do you know how not hard it isn't is to do a triple negative

I was going to read your post but it was too long so I decided to punt.

Nice post millhouse.

I was going to read your post but it was too long so I decided to punt.

Nice post millhouse.

i channel snottogrotto every time there's a coaching change. i'll go back to dashing off WHY PUNT AHOLE **nm** tomorrow

I am cool with the hire for a few reasons.

This staff is good. Marrone shouldn't get all the credit. I think he deserves less credit than he gets from the average observer. I thought Marrone did a good job too, I'm just talking percentage weights.

I'm not a big "stability" guy when I don't like the job the staff did. I wouldn't never not fire (DOH english much?) a guy over fears about a recruit. I am fine with stability now because they had a good year and maybe we can get better soon if Hackett is actually the brains behind the 2012 offense and if Shafer's supposed "risk taking" applies to more sensible decisions like not punting from the 32 you big stupid bufu. I put risk taking in quotes because it's only risky if you don't know the probabilities, people frame it all wrong

Also, it's January 8th. How much time do they have to do an exhaustive search? In an ideal world, they might find somebody better than Shafer. But whatever. What are the odds they would in such a rushed slapdash way? I think it shows an uncharacteristic humility by Gross if this is his call, and I welcome it.

I wish people would resist the common pitfall of always assuming that RIGHT NOW is always the most important pivotal oh my god this means everything moment. Too many people skim a Malcolm Gladwell book and start spouting incoherent in a blink it's a tipping point most important precipice ever nonsense.

Some yards per play numbers. These are averages of averages which isn't perfect but i'm doing this fast.

Since 2009. Offense 5.36 ypp. That would be 85th in the country this year on offense.

Since 2009. Defense 5.28 ypp. That would be 41st in the country this year on defense.

Shafer has been there the whole time. Hackett has been the offensive coordinator for 2 years and they've gotten better the more involved he's been. Maybe it's coincidence. i don't think so. I hope marrone gets a young numerate offensive coordinator in buffalo

When Marrone goes up tempo and gets more plays, he got the credit on offense and shafer gets dinged in overall point and yardage totals, even though the decision means you are going to gain more and give up more. That's what will happen when there are more plays in a game.

Shafer has been a very successful coordinator on a per play basis considering where we were coming from. They gave up 5.94 per play the year before he got here.

He and Hackett have earned their shot. If it doesn't work out, we'll go find someone else. We had the worst coach in the world and they turned it around pretty quick. If we can recover from the worst coach ever, we can recover from going with these guys.
This post is just so well said. Should be mandatory reading

stability now is the best thing when going into a new world of teams. depending on the buy out , if it crashes and burns it could be a one year thing and hire fresh and early next year. with stability is the bar set a bit higher. DM got 5 years and many wanted it to be less than that after year 3. does SS get 3-4 years to take it a bit higher even? we could play better and not see a better record.

The funny thing is DM actually agrees in theory with Millhouse. It was in practice that he got cold feet.

i channel snottogrotto every time there's a coaching change. i'll go back to dashing off WHY PUNT AHOLE **nm** tomorrow
Funny. Your mom channels snottogrotto too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The funny thing is DM actually agrees in theory with Millhouse. It was in practice that he got cold feet.
That's what I'm worried about him in buffalo. If going up tempo is dependent on having a yards per play advantage (I think it might be considering how he slowed it down in prior years), what's he going to do against Tom Brady twice a year? People there don't know anything about college football but they hear that these college guys are wide open and wacky. I think they'll be in for a rude awakening next year when Marrone says oh I have Tavares Jackson and we have to play brees brady twice kaepernick ryan newton and roethlisberger - white knucke turtle time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom