Offense vs. Defense | Syracusefan.com

Offense vs. Defense

SWC75

Bored Historian
Obviously our best teams have both. But it's often been said on these pages in recent years that if we had a good offensive team, at last the losses are more entertaining. I think that's true. We had a lot of great games and amazing performances in the 2017 season and we're having that again now. There were a lot of hard-to-watch slug-fests in the other recent years, 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019.

But take a closer look. the 2015 wasn't allowed any post season play in a failed attempt by SU to impress the NCAA infractions people. the 2016 team made the NCAA tournament and won four games, winding up in the Final Four. The 2018 teams also went to the Big Dance but started out in a play-in game. the won three straight before losing to Duke in the Sweet 16 by 4 in a game we might have won except for Marek Dolezaj's foul trouble. The 2019 didn't need a play-in game. they lost 69-78 to a Baylor team currently ranked #1 in an 8-9 game.

The exciting 2017 team wound up in the NIT where they lost at home to Mississippi in the second round. This team has looked like and NIT team all year and will probably wind up there again.

Offense sells tickets but if you want to go dancing, you'd better be able to defend yourself.

Good defense can turn into easy offense i.e. transition offense off of live ball turnovers, long misses off of bad shots, etc.

But good offense does not help your defense (this is not football) you have to continue to score for 40 minutes, which is hard to do against good teams.

a made basket lets the zone get back. a long carom and run out means we're playing man in transition.

I know folks were frustrated with the rock fight games that ended in the mid-50s. And at times they were tough to watch, even when they ended in wins.

But I honestly find it more frustrating to watch a game where Syracuse goes several minutes without getting a stop. Watching a defense get picked apart and having little confidence that the team can get even just one stop down the stretch is brutal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom