Offense | Syracusefan.com

Offense

timkay99

All Conference
I am not sure what the bigger problem on offense is - the playcalling or the players.

Really, ever offensive player has a weakness. MCW can't shoot, JS isn't off the bounce, CJ needs room for his deep jumper, BT is streaky.

So, with a team loaded with obvious offensive deficiencies, the plays we run tend to be designed to get a player in position to go 1 on 1 or to shoot a jumper. Then, when that gets shut down, the offense must reset.

I really think the biggest issue with the team as it relates to offense is the "system" as opposed to the individual pieces.

I am not sure what the bigger problem on offense is - the playcalling or the players.

Really, ever offensive player has a weakness. MCW can't shoot, JS isn't off the bounce, CJ needs room for his deep jumper, BT is streaky.

So, with a team loaded with obvious offensive deficiencies, the plays we run tend to be designed to get a player in position to go 1 on 1 or to shoot a jumper. Then, when that gets shut down, the offense must reset.

I really think the biggest issue with the team as it relates to offense is the "system" as opposed to the individual pieces.

More teams will start to zone us. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a team try it in the tourney. When that happens, I hope BT has one of this "on" days.

More teams will start to press us. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a team try it in the tourney. When that happens, I hope BT has one of this "on" days.
Why would teams press us???? HUH????!!!! Just pack in a zone and watch us struggle. The last thing teams want to do is speed us up and make it a track meet.

Why would teams press us???? HUH????!!!! Just pack in a zone and watch us struggle. The last thing teams want to do is speed us up and make it a track meet.

My apologies. I meant *zone*. I will edit.

It's the players. No offensive design looks good when the players don't execute proper technical or tactical fundamentals.

That said, the lack of continuity in our motion against zones is troubling. We rarely overload 2-3 zones the way other teams do ours, and we never hit the short corner to attack it. The reason that we never do the latter is probably because Coach B likes to trap other teams in that spot, but to ignore it completely is neglecting a useful point of attack.

It's neither and both. The players don't fit the system. Same issue Kentucky is having offensively this year. We both run a dribble drive offense but don't have the drivers or shooters to make it work. No shooters = no spacing. No spacing = no driving.

The issue with the zone offense is we attack it 4 on 5. You have to utilize the big man against a zone. We got the ball into the middle to Fair a lot. He never squared up to the hoop and looked for Xmas. He always just dribbled it out.

One thing I've noticed about Fair is that when he gets the ball in open space, he almost always feels the need to dribble first before shooting. By the time he decides to do that, he usually has two or three defenders on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I've noticed about Fair is that when he gets the ball in open space, he almost always feels the need to dribble first before shooting. By the time he decides to do that, he usually has two or three defenders on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Even when he doesn't dribble, he takes forever to get his feet set. He requires a lot of space and time to get his shot off.

Absolutely. Even when he doesn't dribble, he takes forever to get his feet set. He requires a lot of space and time to get his shot off.

This probably indicates a player still developing the skills, so that they are "natural" through repetition. However, he is still quite efficient and finds ways to be productive. In regards to when he takes that dribble, he's good at creating space for himself. In the end, it's better to be a step slow than to rush on offense.

This probably indicates a player still developing the skills, so that they are "natural" through repetition. However, he is still quite efficient and finds ways to be productive. In regards to when he takes that dribble, he's good at creating space for himself. In the end, it's better to be a step slow than to rush on offense.

Agreed. He's our most consistent scorer and shooter at this point. Doesn't mean he isn't still pretty limited though.

We could use an inside presence in the worst way. We could also use a slasher. And a couple of shooters. And some more ball handlers.

Damn

Brandon is streaky

Yes, he's on a 30 percent three point shooting streak for the year and 34 percent streak for 4 years. Im sure it is just a slump.