Offensive line gelling, developing reserve players to improve depth | Syracusefan.com

Offensive line gelling, developing reserve players to improve depth

These guys are thee key to me, if they gel it'll make everything work offensively. The new qb is more comfortable, the wr's have extra time to get separation and our talented backs can punish d's over and over again. Make it happen men!

What a crock about Foy subing for Pugh. Foy and Trudo rotated at the right guard. Didn't Alexander play right tackle til Pugh came back. Foy's move to tackled happen this spring. Hard to believe these guys make a living paying attention to sports. As for our O-line, who ever plays just needs to line up and knock the snot out of the defense in a hard nosed sort of way!

What a crock about Foy subing for Pugh. Foy and Trudo rotated at the right guard. Didn't Alexander play right tackle til Pugh came back. Foy's move to tackled happen this spring.
You are correct on all counts.

Isn't it amazing that all the info in the article didn't come from the coaches. If I were the players I wouldn't talk with Mr. Cohen for fear my comments would be twisted into another "tabloid journalism" article.

Yes, Daniel Anyaegbunam is on the depth chart. No, I don't think Daniel Anyaegbunam is going to see any playing time this season.

I'm tired of the "look at the depth chart and just assume that's exactly what's going to happen" approach to writing.

Daniel Anyaegbunam is a walk-on transfer from a D-II school who was converted from D-Line because of a lack of O-Linemen during Spring 2012.

This is not a knock on Daniel Anyaegbunam. I'm just saying there are other guys who are going to surpass him.

What a crock about Foy subing for Pugh. Foy and Trudo rotated at the right guard. Didn't Alexander play right tackle til Pugh came back. Foy's move to tackled happen this spring. Hard to believe these guys make a living paying attention to sports. As for our O-line, who ever plays just needs to line up and knock the snot out of the defense in a hard nosed sort of way!

Hey, look - a question he could have asked instead of counting reporters around opposing coaches.

Just read the article - another "terrific" Cohen piece. This just in: coaches are concerned about who the backup players are on the line.

Every year, Cohen. Every year.

What a crock about Foy subing for Pugh. Foy and Trudo rotated at the right guard. Didn't Alexander play right tackle til Pugh came back. Foy's move to tackled happen this spring. Hard to believe these guys make a living paying attention to sport

Give the guy a break! He was busy "evaluating" recruits earlier this Spring, remember? He didn't have to time to let something like facts get in the way. ;)

One thing I'm hoping for is that Macky has taken his backup(s) under his wing and getting the line ready for next year as well.

If Pearle can get this line flowing not only will this be a good thing for us this year but in the future when it comes to recruiting linemen as well. I like the two deep depth it has and I'm more comfortable with it than I have been in a while.

1) Haven't read the article, not surprised it's a hack though.

2) OL is a big issue for this team. Good job by Nick Robinson if he wins the job, but that fact that he is penciled in as the starter worries me.

2) OL is a big issue for this team. Good job by Nick Robinson if he wins the job, but that fact that he is penciled in as the starter worries me.

Why? [not disputing your position, I'm just curious about your rationale for #2 above--is it due to the inexperience factor or something else?]

Why? [not disputing your position, I'm just curious about your rationale for #2 above--is it due to the inexperience factor or something else?]

I'm not sure when he was recruited that anyone saw him as a starter in his third year. He was a late commitment because a slot was available.

I'm not sure when he was recruited that anyone saw him as a starter in his third year. He was a late commitment because a slot was available.

Could go either way, right? Unheralded recruit comes out of nowhere to become all ACC. Unheralded recruit shows the lack of depth at Syracuse.

I personally think its option #1 :).

Nor have I as I refuse to give those clowns the "hits".

I get that. Robinson was a good "gamble" because of his athleticism / size / strength, though. Third year in the program is about when you'd expect people to emerge as contributors. I wonder what might have happened had Palmer been fully healthy for spring practice.

Regardless, the interior of the line looks like it has really good depth. Trudo, Mackey, and then Robinson / Palmer / Emerich / Miller. I'm much more concerned about Foy shifting to RT and being adequate than I am about Robinson--will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Totally get what you're saying, and I'm not disagreeing with you. But are we giving him the local kid treatment? (IE From B-ville, therefore can't be big/strong/quick/talented enough to hold his own at the high D-1 level.)

... Third year in the program is about when you'd expect people [Robinson] to emerge as contributors. ...

Regardless, the interior of the line looks like it has really good depth. Trudo, Mackey, and then Robinson / Palmer / Emerich / Miller. I'm much more concerned about Foy shifting to RT and being adequate than I am about Robinson--will be interesting to see how things shake out.

I always wonder what this sort of comment is based on. On what Robinson did as the extra lineman in goal line situations, on how he did in the Spring? Same for Foy. Trudo proved to be better, but Foy shared time at R-OG last September -- not bad for a RF. Has the size to play OT. How did he do there in the Spring?

To me, the OL line-up is what it should be -- Robinson & Foy were the 6th & 7th guys last year, saw some action, you move Foy to get your best five on the field, and you get this group in place early and work on cohesiveness. Unless Mike Lasker comes in and is a revelation.

Nick Robinson is 6'6" 285lbs, very bright and athletic. Why is it difficult to see him starting? When Chandler Jones and justin Pugh were recruited with exactly one BCS level offer did you see them as first round NFL draft picks? The answer is absolutely not.

I know that Doug Marrone was very high on Nick and it has carried over to the new staff. So just because he wasn't highly recruited doesnt mean he isn't good. It was amazing to me that he wasn't a multiple BCS level kid. If he wasn't in upstate New York he would have been.

He played more than special teams last year, he was part of the "Tank package". Thats the second time I've seen Mr Cohen miss that>

Nick Robinson is 6'6" 285lbs, very bright and athletic. Why is it difficult to see him starting? When Chandler Jones and justin Pugh were recruited with exactly one BCS level offer did you see them as first round NFL draft picks? The answer is absolutely not.

I know that Doug Marrone was very high on Nick and it has carried over to the new staff. So just because he wasn't highly recruited doesnt mean he isn't good. It was amazing to me that he wasn't a multiple BCS level kid. If he wasn't in upstate New York he would have been.

He played more than special teams last year, he was part of the "Tank package". Thats the second time I've seen Mr Cohen miss that>

Plus take into account that Bromley wasn't highly recruited and we see where he is now as well.

What a crock about Foy subing for Pugh. Foy and Trudo rotated at the right guard. Didn't Alexander play right tackle til Pugh came back. Foy's move to tackled happen this spring. Hard to believe these guys make a living paying attention to sport

Give the guy a break! He was busy doing a horrible job at"evaluating" recruits earlier this Spring, remember? He didn't have to time to let something like facts get in the way. ;)
There fixed it for you LOL

Totally get what you're saying, and I'm not disagreeing with you. But are we giving him the local kid treatment? (IE From B-ville, therefore can't be big/strong/quick/talented enough to hold his own at the high D-1 level.)
Mackey got the same treatment and look at him now, one vote from being preseason all ACC.