Offensive Line Observation | Syracusefan.com

Offensive Line Observation

LeMoyneCuse

All American
After looking at pictures and video of the O-Line yesterday, I noticed everyone (except Macky) is wearing knee braces. Syracuse hasn't done this in the past- only guys with knee problems. I've seen other teams do it (UCONN in 2011 for example).

Does a knee brace actually help support/protect the knee from injury? Or is it a precautionary measure that can actually make a difference?

I don't know if it prevents all but it probably prevents certain types of knee injuries or at worst gives extra protection.

I believe it can also weaken the knee and lead to a reliance on the brace. Coaches have different opinions. I think most NFL guys wear them. Perles obviously believes in them being an NFL guy.

It'll help prevent knee injuries resulting from contact coming from the front or sides, but could also weaken the knee and the musculature supporting the knee if worn too much. I would suggest wearing it for team drills with full contact and games, but not with SAQ drills or one-on-one drills where incidental contact is less likely.

back in the 80's it used to be mandatory for interior lineman to wear them i believe, at least d3 it was, not sure that is still the case.

With the number of ACL injuries exploding (seems every night on the news there are 3 or 4 more players with torn ACL's) wearing knee braces might become mandatory for every position.

With the number of ACL injuries exploding (seems every night on the news there are 3 or 4 more players with torn ACL's) wearing knee braces might become mandatory for every position.

Such is life when athletes are a lot bigger then their bodies were intended to be. Tendons carrying extra weight and being stretched to their max with added muscle mass don't take much to snap.

Knee braces reduce racking (it might be wracking) which is back and forth, side to side stress on the acl amd mcl. For a position on the interior line I think it helps especially considering not just racking (sic) occurs during blocking and or eating up and offensive lineman but also during opposing players falling on the joint

I am a physical therapist so i can shed some light. The knee braces we see the interior linemen wear stop varus and valgus stress on the knees from a medial and lateral force. Research shows they are effective in helping to prevent sprains to the mcl and lcl. Research also says they don't help avoid acl or pcl injuries which are typically caused involving rotational forces. Those braces have a bit of a psychological benefit for those with a history of ligament injuries.

Indeed if the braces are worn too much the wearer will develop a dependency on the supportive qualities of the brace.