offical scoring of shots. | Syracusefan.com

offical scoring of shots.

SBU72

All Conference
My question about flagrant fouls (Flagrant fouls) was answered a couple of weekends ago when refs reviewing a push by a defensive player after a whistle saw that the offensive play hit the other guy in the face before the push. Both were hit with "Ts", flagrant 1. Now my question on shots. Does an "air ball" count as a shot or a turnover? What about an olley-oop that is missed but hits the backboard or rim. Is it a shot or a turnover? And lastly what about an air ball fro the corner caught by a teammate and jammed home. Missed shot & rebound or an assist?

1) shot, team rebound
2) turnover
3) shot, rebound, no assist
Thanks. I still wonder that after watching major college basketball for almost 50 years, that I still have questions to ask.

its interesting that some official scorers dont even know the assist rules or even apply them much of the time

its interesting that some official scorers dont even know the assist rules or even apply them much of the time

What is the rule on assists? Is there a concrete definition?

I've always gone by whether or not the scorer had to do something extra to get the shot off after receiving the pass. 'Extra' meaning something other than dribble in a straight line or shoot. For instance, a player could catch an outlet pass a little beyond halfcourt, dribble 3 or 4 times before shooting a layup and, in my book, it could be an assist or not be an assist depending on if he had to navigate defenders or modify the layup midair. Some of my friends think there's basically a strict two dribble limit.

1) shot, team rebound
2) turnover
3) shot, rebound, no assist
I believe it's also a team rebound if there's a foul (like "over the back") called on the rebound.

What is the rule on assists? Is there a concrete definition?

I've always gone by whether or not the scorer had to do something extra to get the shot off after receiving the pass. 'Extra' meaning something other than dribble in a straight line or shoot. For instance, a player could catch an outlet pass a little beyond halfcourt, dribble 3 or 4 times before shooting a layup and, in my book, it could be an assist or not be an assist depending on if he had to navigate defenders or modify the layup midair. Some of my friends think there's basically a strict two dribble limit.
It's pretty flexible with assists, with lots of home cooking, especially at the NBA level.

There are guidelines that get ignored. like if you are driving in uncontested and lob it off the backboard for a team mate to slam, thats not an assist. the other forgotten one is that the assist does not have to go to the person who makes the pass that leads to the score but should go to the person who made the pass that best defines the play that leads to a score. so for instance if you get a rebound and make a tough outlet pass to mid court who them makes a simple pass to the dunking teammate the first pass gets the assist not the second one. not like hockey though only one guy gets the assist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom