Officials are Ruining NCAA Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Officials are Ruining NCAA Basketball

CuseCPT

All Conference
I'm not even talking about Duke and Kansas home cooking here, I'm talking about the overall number of fouls per game in general. So much ticky tacky stuff gets called the flow of the game gets absolutely destroyed.

With certain old school refs, like Tim Higgins, I think they get off on pissing off the crowd and being the center of attention. Another theory I have is that with the college game being more coach than player oriented, the officials are more prone to being influenced and "worked".

My boss has interesting theory: that the NBA avoids this problem by canning refs that call too many fouls since they understand that people pay $$$ to see guys play, not foul out.

Thoughts?

Its the second worst thing in college BB, after paying recruits, etc. Culling out the bad refs, based on review of their calls in games would do it, but I don't think the NCAA thinks it a big problem, and they are probably don't have the competence to fix it even if they wanted to.

I'm not even talking about Duke and Kansas home cooking here, I'm talking about the overall number of fouls per game in general. So much ticky tacky stuff gets called the flow of the game gets absolutely destroyed.

With certain old school refs, like Tim Higgins, I think they get off on pissing off the crowd and being the center of attention. Another theory I have is that with the college game being more coach than player oriented, the officials are more prone to being influenced and "worked".

My boss has interesting theory: that the NBA avoids this problem by canning refs that call too many fouls since they understand that people pay $$$ to see guys play, not foul out.

Thoughts?

I have been watching college hoop for over 50 years. Fans have been saying those same exact words for all of those 50 years. The reffing is actually better now. In the good old days, there were two refs, not three. They got out of bounds calls wrong all the time.

I enjoy the games. It would be nice to every call perfect but it's a very difficult job. Unless something smells bad and a teams getting obvious favoritism I'm not going to jump on the officials.

NBA has the same issues IMO. Such a
fast paced game.

Tim Higgins says you can’t blame me anymore, I’ve been retired 5 years. :p
When I said "old school guys" I meant not currently reffing anymore. I should have been more clear.

Old Tim Higgins is definitely seared in my mind though. When I was younger I thought he hated SU, but as I got older my theory changed. I think he actually hated basketball fans, so he was biased against the home team, whoever it happened to be. I think he loved nothing more than every eye in the arena on him, soaking up the jeers like a lizard basking in the warm sun.

Last edited:
The NBA has cleaned up their rules and ENFORCEMENT and, subsequently, cleaned up the play on the court to a great degree - they have mostly made it a non-contact sport again. It is such a better game than it was in the 1990s. It would be great if college BB did the same. There are so many games in college BB where the outcome is determined by no calls/bad calls - in many close games, one has to wonder which team deserved to win. Of course, the bias for elite teams is a different matter.

[/quote]post: 2393233, member: 1743"]NBA has the same issues IMO. Such a
fast paced game.[/QUOTE]

Thoughts?

Rules are the most important part of the game. I think the NCAA should spend millions on video training everyone could look at clarify what the rules should be. They analyze good calls and bad calls showing video on the proper call. It's just mind boggling that what one person calls a charge another person calls a block. I think getting the rules understood and taught well is absolutely critical to maintaining and increasing the popularity of CBB.

Thoughts?
mindy rudolph

maybe the players should learn to play out of control a bit less..

NBA has the same issues IMO. Such a
fast paced game.
NBA refs are not perfect, but they're much better than college refs. I watch the Knicks quite a bit and there's a noticeable difference between college and NBA officiating talent. If we had NBA-quality officials reffing the last game, I doubt the 3 phantom calls against Chukwu would have been made. Nor would Dolezaj have been called for a foul on that (excellent) shot block play. Poor college officiating may not be new. But it's frustrating and detrimental to the game. Guards get away with murder in college ... they run into the lane, bounce off a big with his hands up and waltz over to the FTL like it's their job. That has to be changed.

Last edited:
And while not as bad, it's hard to say Tim without saying Jim (Burr). Quite a combination in their day. They must have done the majority of our games with Georgetown. Maybe TV Teddy Valentine snuck in for a few.

If you know the refs name, it’s not a good thing. They were the king of the blow the whistle and come running while gesturing their call wildly to call a weird foul out of nowhere that had nothing to do with the play to try to kill an SU run and get the whole Dome booing them out of the building.

Players need to learn not to foul. If calling it tight now gets us cleaner games down the road then I am for it. I am sick and tired of hand checking, grabbing etc etc.

I want to see clean, well executed basketball on both ends of the floor.

The NBA has cleaned up their rules and ENFORCEMENT and, subsequently, cleaned up the play on the court to a great degree - they have mostly made it a non-contact sport again. It is such a better game than it was in the 1990s. It would be great if college BB did the same. There are so many games in college BB where the outcome is determined by no calls/bad calls - in many close games, one has to wonder which team deserved to win. Of course, the bias for elite teams is a different matter.

You can't compare what is being done with referees in the NBA and the NCAA.

Much easier to deal with the refereeing in the NBA. What, there are 30 teams? No more than 15 NBA games on any given day. Total pool of 60-70 referees required to manage the games played in the NBA. That means 60-70 referees that they have to train up and get calling plays the same way.

Now compare that to the NCAA and the number of referees that it is working with. I think there are 65 P5 schools alone. That means as many as 32 P5 level college games going on at any given time and that doesn't include the Big East, A-10, AAC and other non P5, mid level and mid major conferences. How many referees are you talking about when you consider how many games are going on at any given time? Much bigger problem finding quality referees to do all those games, training them to call plays the same way etc.

Players need to learn not to foul. If calling it tight now gets us cleaner games down the road then I am for it. I am sick and tired of hand checking, grabbing etc etc.

I want to see clean, well executed basketball on both ends of the floor.

I agree there. A lot of the blame goes on the coaches that have the “they can’t call everything” philosophy.

The era where defenses were just mauling ball handlers out front and grabbing and holding cutters and then undercutting guys who went to the hoop or flopping on guys who got the ball in the post and actually getting charge calls was so incredibly bad for the sport.