Officiating... | Syracusefan.com

Officiating...

wvlax

2nd String
For some reason the refs were very whistle happy today and they whistled us for a season high 25 fouls (Villanova 22).Only a difference of 3, but it's huge when we have 2 guys foul out in regulation. Villanova had one guy (Yarou) foul out but it was late in overtime. This is when we really miss Southerland.

There are a few threads on this topic. I don't think the whistles went our way today. We shot a ton of free throws only because we attacked the basket at least twice as much as they did.

Eh, refs were a draw, they had a few bad calls on both sides and called a lot of nickel-dimers. The one call I had an issue with was the CJ "goaltend", I thought the ball was still on its way up and a clean block.

I was bothered by the constant moving screens, it has become a common occurrence against the zone and never gets called

Yeah, that's more of that NBA bullsh1t creeping into the college game.

I wasn't a fan of the guy with all the anticipation calls - first game this year where we ran into that (a least that I recall).

Yeah, that's more of that NBA bull creeping into the college game.

We throw plenty of moving screens at opponents as well. Probably because our screening leaves much to be desired.

Eh, refs were a draw, they had a few bad calls on both sides and called a lot of nickel-dimers. The one call I had an issue with was the CJ "goaltend", I thought the ball was still on its way up and a clean block.

Wasn't so much the calls for me. It was the non-calls.

I didn't think the refs were that bad. We still had 3 walk-ons and an assistant coach (hiding in the team bus) that they didn't foul out of the game.

I thought the ref job was bad both ways. The two calls they missed against Syracuse one was the goaltending call against CJ. the other was an out of bounds call against Syracuse In the last 3 minutes made by Burr. It did hit off CJ going out of bounds but landed on the Nova player standing out of bounds. I think we all know that is too much for Burr to follow and the inevitable call was made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think the refs were that bad. We still had 3 walk-ons and an assistant coach (hiding in the team bus) that they didn't foul out of the game.
Actually, if Gmac could have suited up the game would have been no contest.

No-one's talking about this, but there was a BLATANT "up and down call" against Nova that the refs completely ignored yesterday. I'm thinking Yarou was the offender.

Anyone else see this?

Wasn't so much the calls for me. It was the non-calls.

I agree with this. Every time their players drove to the basket, it drew an automatic whistle. Our guys would get hit repeatedly and there wouldn't be calls for a significant portion of the game.

In particular, I'm thinking about one CJ Fair driving layup where he made the basket, got hammered, and fell down. No call. The next possession a villanova player drives in, throws up a flailing shot and gets the anticipation whistle from behind the play from the ref out behind the three point arc. The first half was way more imbalanced than the second half was.

We were stuck on 8 fouls forever in the second half; ultimately, it had a big impact on that MCW miss. If we'd been in the double bonus, he would have had a second FT, instead of just the front end of the one-and-one.

No-one's talking about this, but there was a BLATANT "up and down call" against Nova that the refs completely ignored yesterday. I'm thinking Yarou was the offender.

Anyone else see this?
Saw it and the announcers started to talk about it and then just dropped it. I watched in slo-mo and it looked like the guy fumbled it ever so slightly but he didn't lose possession and I'm pretty sure we didn't touch it. Bizarre.

Saw it and the announcers started to talk about it and then just dropped it. I watched in slo-mo and it looked like the guy fumbled it ever so slightly but he didn't lose possession and I'm pretty sure we didn't touch it. Bizarre.

Glad someone else saw it. I thought I was going nuts. It looked like a pretty blatant no call to me. I was starting to wonder if I was seeing things.

Glad someone else saw it. I thought I was going nuts. It looked like a pretty blatant no call to me. I was starting to wonder if I was seeing things.
It was completely blatant. I'm not positive and don't want want to watch the game again to find out, but I think they might have hit a three on the possession with the up and down.

I was bothered by the constant moving screens, it has become a common occurrence against the zone and never gets called
Thank you. Teams started screening the guards a few years against the zone. I have seen maybe 2 moving screens called in that time when it happens on almost every possession. The refs will call moving screens against man to man but for some reason swallow their whistles against zone.

Go back to the play The Nova big was screening Triche and Triche got called for bulling through him. Fair enough, Triche did bull through him. But for 2 full seconds before that the dude was leaning all over Triche!

Anyone else see this?
It looked bad, but from the TV angle Yarou's body was in the way, so I couldn't swear in court that there was a violation. A defender COULD have touched the ball so it came loose. However, put it this way (and I do some basketball refereeing, but not near this level) - NO ONE would have faulted a ref for making a call, even a jump ball. A "no call" was the worst option there for a ref. But IIRC, the closest ref to the call was...

Jim+Burr+NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Second+qXfKWnydDZfl.jpg

Did anyone else notice that Villanova often briefly doubled MCW at the top of the key, then before the off defender released he would throw a fairly blatant hip check to block MCW's path? If that's foul it was never called.

I saw it too. Looked like an easy call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom