Oh man...Grant was WIDE open underneath | Syracusefan.com

Oh man...Grant was WIDE open underneath

joct

2nd String
Sorry if was a topic in another thread...I mentioned it in one but I think it got buried.

Looking at the play again, just as Ennis started the passing motion to CJ, Grant broke free and was wide open underneath with his hands ready. Grant and Christmas ran the double screen for Cooney. Grant does a great job rolling after the screen, and the Duke guys were lost. He gets wide open. Ennis had just started the motion to pass. Had Grant gotten there a second sooner, I'll bet Ennis finds him.

upload_2014-2-24_11-59-8.png

By all accounts the play was designed to go to CJ, so Ennis' court vision had blinders, so to speak. If he had attempted a pass to Grant and it was tipped, Grant muffed it, or he didn't score for any reason, JB's wrath would have been unleashed on his point guard. Maybe that's a play that a Senior Ennis would have the onions to make, but not a Fr.

Sorry if was a topic in another thread...I mentioned it in one but I think it got buried.

Looking at the play again, just as Ennis started the passing motion to CJ, Grant broke free and was wide open underneath with his hands ready. Grant and Christmas ran the double screen for Cooney. Grant does a great job rolling after the screen, and the Duke guys were lost. He gets wide open. Ennis had just started the motion to pass. Had Grant gotten there a second sooner, I'll bet Ennis finds him.

View attachment 8340

That looks like part of the designed play to make the Duke defender cheat toward Grant and leave more open court for CJ.

So the bottom line is, draw a play up for grant when the game is on the line. Apparently other teams have no interest in covering him.

thats actually true. theyre so worried about ennis cj and cooney that grant is the last thing on their minds.

I went back to watch the video and it looked as though he was covered up pretty quickly. Ennis really would have had to put something on it to get it there and even if he did, Grant would likely have to finish through major contact. Just my feeling, but I don't think Tony Greene was blowing the whistle on Duke's defense at that point. If Grant did get fouled and didn't finish, he's going to the line on a day when he's 1-4.

I thought the play they ran was perfect. Thornton seems slow as heck to me. CJ blew by him and made a great play. Then the coin flip comes after the contact.

What you're all missing here, as evidenced by this picture, is Rakeem's amazing ability to inhale an entire defender to open up the court for CJ and Tyler on the far side.

Give the man some props.

I wouldn't have made a difference because Tony Greene is programmed like the Terminator. He's the Bobby Fischer of refereeing. He sees things four-five plays ahead. He scoped out Jerami and had a scenario already in place to disallow the basket if Tyler had passed it to him.

What you're all missing here, as evidenced by this picture, is Rakeem's amazing ability to inhale an entire defender to open up the court for CJ and Tyler on the far side.

Give the man some props.

Cooney was wide open. As JoeSU said though, Tyler had blinders on for all but CJ.

And for good reason: CJ made a great play, scored a bucket to tie and was going to the line for the lead!...oh wait. :(

yeah, I get it, but wasn't this game at duke and didn't we have like 8 threads on here about how duke was going to get all the calls like a week before the game even happened? did the guys not read those many, many threads and shouldn't CJ just have taken the short jumper once he got by his man? Just sayin...

yeah, I get it, but wasn't this game at duke and didn't we have like 8 threads on here about how duke was going to get all the calls like a week before the game even happened? did the guys not read those many, many threads and shouldn't CJ just have taken the short jumper once he got by his man? Just sayin...
I believe there is a quote from CJ saying that he would have pulled up, but thought he had a clear path to the basket for a dunk. Once he saw Hood move, he changed his mind, switched hands and went for the lay-in. I could be wrong, but I think I saw or read that.

I believe there is a quote from CJ saying that he would have pulled up, but thought he had a clear path to the basket for a dunk. Once he saw Hood move, he changed his mind, switched hands and went for the lay-in. I could be wrong, but I think I saw or read that.

Could be, and now that you mention it, with CJ being a leftie, that shot from the baseline would have been really, really tough. He was nearly behind the backboard, and the ball most surely would have been on a jumper.

Grant was also open when Hood slide off him to defend Fair.

hood.gif

At this point in his career we all know that in no case does CJ make that pass. Just not in his DNA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom