Oh My Hockey: $2,000,000 extra per hockey team in B1G | Syracusefan.com

Oh My Hockey: $2,000,000 extra per hockey team in B1G

arbitragegls

All Conference
Okay gang...who would have thought this? The B1G is paying out an additional $2,000,000 for each hockey team...now Nebraska is thinking about it...are you kidding me?

http://www.cornnation.com/2013/4/29...on-payout-for-hockey-make-the-sport-viable-at

Of course with 'Cuse being in the North Country, this may prove a likely next sport...'Cuse hockey in the EAST Hockey League with BC and ND...yahoo!

What do you think?

It's Good to be 'Cuse...even in cold weather.

Wait, the BTN will pay every school playing hockey $2MM a year? So that could cost them $28MM/year if all decided to play?

NBC pays the NHL $200MM/year.

I don't buy it.

If a network is paying for a B1G hockey contract they're going to be incredibly disappointed, if it's just for the B1G network, it's going to be a failure as well. College hockey is a cool idea but just about every top prospect goes straight to the NHL or plays minor league hockey, additionally, hockey is pretty far down the list for universities in the fastest growing areas in the country looking to add new athletic programs. I doubt you'll see UNC, Texas A&M or University of Georgia starting up hockey programs anytime soon.

More importantly, TV ratings for college hockey suck - BC's SB Nation blog put out ratings numbers and they don't seem to be improving - http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/...p-boston-college-minnesota-ferris-state-union.

If there's that kind of money going out for college hockey - maybe there will be some real $$ for college lacrosse in the future, the TV numbers for lacrosse are almost equal.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...crosse-championship-s-42-attendance-skid.html

I think the BiG sucks. That's what I think.

SU would be better off with baseball than hockey, IMHO. Not sure enough would give a crap about SU hockey.

Sure Crunch Mgt is exponentially better then Chief Mgt, but I still think hockey attendance would trump baseball attendance if Mgt was equal. Syracuse is a very under rated hockey town, if anything I think the support for SU hockey would be greater then SU baseball. And that's coming from someone who's Father was on the last Syracuse baseball team

Sure Crunch Mgt is exponentially better then Chief Mgt, but I still think hockey attendance would trump baseball attendance if Mgt was equal. Syracuse is a very under rated hockey town, if anything I think the support for SU hockey would be greater then SU baseball. And that's coming from someone who's Father was on the last Syracuse baseball team

I would watch SU hockey if they dressed three guys every game that wore the same glasses as the Hansen Brothers.

Let's put this whole hockey thing in perspective--the now defunct XFL got better ratings than hockey.

As a sport? Great.
As a spectator sport? Not worth all that much to advertisers.

b10 hockey draws 5-10K and its shown mostly on regional networks where it does pretty well. its national numbers are vastly different.

Let's put this whole hockey thing in perspective--the now defunct XFL got better ratings than hockey.

As a sport? Great.
As a spectator sport? Not worth all that much to advertisers.

Hockey is much better in person. And Olympic hockey is better than NHL, IMHO. What rules are used in college hockey?

Obviously there's a difference between TV popularity and a sport's popularity. Few college sports will prove viable big money TV sports, that doesn't mean nobody cares about them.

I'm biased to college hockey as a Cornell season ticket holder for both men and women.

Men's hockey averaged 4,247. That's at $18.00/game for season tickets; $13.00/game for students. It does not include Cornell's annual game at MSG which sells out. As for all the best prospects going directly to the pros, 8 of the 27 members of the team were already NHL draft picks.

Women's hockey averaged 981. That's at $6.00/game; free for students.

Baseball lists its attendance at 174 (which is about what Syracuse women's hockey averages). There are no tickets so I'm not sure how or why they count attendance.

College baseball attendance does pretty well in sunny, warm weather climates, no surprise there. I don't think there's a northeastern school in the top 50 in D1 attendance.

Baseball at SU would clearly be bigger than the sport is at Cornell, but it's highly doubtful it would be bigger than hockey would likely be at Syracuse. It sounds like it doesn't matter as baseball appears to be part of the price of ACC admission.

Obviously there's a difference between TV popularity and a sport's popularity. Few college sports will prove viable big money TV sports, that doesn't mean nobody cares about them.

Baseball at SU would clearly be bigger than the sport is at Cornell, but it's highly doubtful it would be bigger than hockey would likely be at Syracuse. It sounds like it doesn't matter as baseball appears to be part of the price of ACC admission.
I love hockey but arb's post was about the TV value of hockey. Would love to see an SU hockey team.

Why would SU add any sport not being played in the ACC?
I'm not big on baseball, but at lease that makes sense. Before we signed up for the ACC, I thought hockey would be a great addition. But I can't see doing it now.

Why would SU add any sport not being played in the ACC?
I'm not big on baseball, but at lease that makes sense. Before we signed up for the ACC, I thought hockey would be a great addition. But I can't see doing it now.
This was my thinking all along. It would be one thing to maintain an existing hockey team, but to engineer a start-up in a sport our new conference does not sponsor makes absolutely no sense. The logical choices are baseball, wrestling, or golf.

I love hockey but arb's post was about the TV value of hockey. Would love to see an SU hockey team.
True, but the second post brought up baseball. Whenever adding a men's sport comes up it's usually about hockey and baseball -- wrestling would be awesome to bring back.

Didn't the dept hire someone from Oregon (?) to build a baseball program? Sounds like that's going to be the new sport.

Baseball might make the most sense from an ACC angle. It'd probably be a doormat program, but if that's what the league and SU want go for it.

Didn't the dept hire someone from Oregon (?) to start a baseball program?

Okay gang...who would have thought this? The B1G is paying out an additional $2,000,000 for each hockey team...now Nebraska is thinking about it...are you kidding me?

http://www.cornnation.com/2013/4/29...on-payout-for-hockey-make-the-sport-viable-at

Of course with 'Cuse being in the North Country, this may prove a likely next sport...'Cuse hockey in the EAST Hockey League with BC and ND...yahoo!

What do you think?

It's Good to be 'Cuse...even in cold weather.
No chance Syracuse would get into Hockey East. They'd end up probably playing ECAC at best. The Women's team couldn't even find a good conference to get into. With no ACC hockey it will be interesting to see where they would put the team.

No chance Syracuse would get into Hockey East. They'd end up probably playing ECAC at best. The Women's team couldn't even find a good conference to get into. With no ACC hockey it will be interesting to see where they would put the team.
We could go indy. Works for ND, right? ;) Actually, as I (and others) said above, hockey just doesn't make sense, as much as some would love it to happen.