Oh the irony | Syracusefan.com

Oh the irony

I am now convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the NCAA needs to impose the death penalty at PSU.

Really? So O'Brien wants everyone to ignore molestation also? If PedSt is going to come clean, they now need to let O'Brien go also. He has just placed the football program above child rape. Just ignore it.

I think he's just trying to tell his innocent players to focus on what they need to focus on, while this cloud surrounds them. I think you're connecting a few too many dots here. I don't think it's fair to hold the players guilty by association. O'Brien is just doing his job. This isn't going away for Penn State, the University, and nothing like this will ever happen there again, thank God.

I think he's just trying to tell his innocent players to focus on what they need to focus on, while this cloud surrounds them. I think you're connecting a few too many dots here. I don't think it's fair to hold the players guilty by association. O'Brien is just doing his job. This isn't going away for Penn State, the University, and nothing like this will ever happen there again, thank God.

He is saying all the talk is "noise". That sadly minimizes what the noise is. And he tells them to ignore it. No dots need to be connected. He trivialized it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He is saying all the talk is "noise". That sadly minimizes what the noise is. And he tells them to ignore it. No dots need to be connected. He trivialized it.

Really don't agree at all. It's a message to the players, not a statement of how he feels about the whole thing. From everything I've heard about the guy, I don't think comparing him to the monsters that preceded him is fair at all, especially based on his method of getting the players to move beyond this (no matter what words he used). But I guess time will tell. Maybe he'll end up being just as bad. I hope not though, because as much as some will do anything to protect the machine that is college football these days, I'm holding out the hope that the ones who went to these horrific lengths at Penn State are few and far between.

I think he's just trying to tell his innocent players to focus on what they need to focus on, while this cloud surrounds them.

While I think you're right, and that he is just trying to keep his players focused, the signs are poorly worded. He should have taken another approach.

While I think you're right, and that he is just trying to keep his players focused, the signs are poorly worded. He should have taken another approach.

Yeah, probably, but there's really nothing he can say that won't be completely picked apart if it sounds like he wants his players to focus on football.

Which is what makes that job so much tougher than just being the "guy who followed Paterno". That would have been hard enough if Paterno really was the decent man he wanted you to believe he was.

I think people should focus on those who need to be focused on (Paterno's legacy, some in his family, Schultz, Curley, Spanier, and obviously Sandusky and other assistants who knew). They are the ones who need to be behind bars. There are others as well who knew, some board members I'm sure, the General Counsel didn't exactly say "you guys are pretty f*(cked up", others along the way associated with the children's organization, etc.

Putting any of the focus on O'Brien or the current players is deflecting from the monsters, don't do them the favor. As for punishing the program, that will fall on the new President, the Board, and possibly the NCAA. If the NCAA determines it has no power, I'm sure they'll use whatever threats they can so they don't look bad. Basically tell the school if this self imposed punishment isn't one of a kind bad, then we'll start digging and surely find anything and everything that does fall under our radar. For which you'll get the max penalty per infraction.

Boeheim told his players to focus on basketball and forget about the Fine stuff too.

These coaches aren't wordsmiths, I think we get their point.

Badly worded but I don't agree that he's trying to make people think rape and molestation is okay. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he'd be dumb enough to do that.

Exactly.

He was obviously trying to do as you said (hence the irony), but seriously, what kind of moron puts up signs on the exterior of the building where all of this happened that says 'ignore the noise'?!?

Really don't agree at all. It's a message to the players, not a statement of how he feels about the whole thing. From everything I've heard about the guy, I don't think comparing him to the monsters that preceded him is fair at all, especially based on his method of getting the players to move beyond this (no matter what words he used). But I guess time will tell. Maybe he'll end up being just as bad. I hope not though, because as much as some will do anything to protect the machine that is college football these days, I'm holding out the hope that the ones who went to these horrific lengths at Penn State are few and far between.

I didn't say he was a monster like the others. But his words minimize the seriousness of it all.