OK, All You Xs & Os Guys. Let's Assume... | Syracusefan.com

OK, All You Xs & Os Guys. Let's Assume...

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
that every defensive coordinator going forth has viewed the Rutgers & Louisville game tapes. They have all concluded (or should be taken out back and shot if they haven't) that press coverage and pressuring the QB is the way to beat Syracuse.

So, if you are SU's offensive coordinator, what plays do you prepare to beat this defensive strategy?

The best plays will be sent to Coach Hackett along with a bouquet of white carnations.

that every defensive coordinator going forth has viewed the Rutgers & Louisville game tapes. They have all concluded (or should be taken out back and shot if they haven't) that press coverage and pressuring the QB is the way to beat Syracuse.

So, if you are SU's offensive coordinator, what plays do you prepare to beat this defensive strategy?

The best plays will be sent to Coach Hackett along with a bouquet of white carnations.

Good question, they need to find a way to beat this with what we have, no doubt

the quick dump off over the middle to TE that blew up WVU

Smith and Moore up the middle into the rush (there were openings both games in the middle, but we tried to run outside for some insane reason)

Since Nassib can not hit anything over 20+ yards, 12-14 yd post routes

Bailey screens

the quick dump off over the middle to TE that blew up WVU

Smith and Moore up the middle into the rush (there were openings both games in the middle, but we tried to run outside for some insane reason)

Since Nassib can not hit anything over 20+ yards, 12-14 yd post routes

Bailey screens
SU got away from the screens in the LV game. Not being an X&O guy, I'm not sure why. Would like to see if they can make that work.

1. The deep ball -- hope you now understand why Ryan's issues with this are compounding the problem. Think of it like hoops -- if one guy is torching your team, you might try a box and one or some sort of zone scheme (overly simplified, I know) to slow him down. Same principal goes for football. They might start cheating a safety over to that side to help out, might start playing deep zone coverage, etc. If you have the deep ball in football, it really opens things up. It forces safeties out of the box, allowing the run game to open up (another issue we are faced with).

2. running some sort of in/out routes -- the old pick play if you will you see a lot of NFL teams run successfully.

3. double moves -- slant and go, stop and go, post corner -- get the db's to stop jumping the initial route, force them to back off a bit. We tried this once against Ville that I saw, Ryan missed Chew on this play.

4. Use some motion out there -- get the opposing db uncomfortable by having to chase his receiver down before the snap. Don't allow the guy to set up for the jam.

1. Spread the field with four wide receivers and look for favorable matchups with our 3rd and 4th receivers working inside against a nickel/dime corner or a free safety. The spread also may allow SU to isolate Bailey one-on-one against a linebacker in pass coverate.

2. Get back to the zone read and make Nassib a running threat.

3. Get Kobena more involved in the offense on reverses and WR screens (see WVA).

4. Give Kinder a shot to run a couple of wildcat plays. He is more of a threat to throw the ball than Bailey which will lead to more balance from the defense.

5. Stop running 2-TE, 2 WR sets with Lemon and Chew at the WR spots. That makes us very slow at the skill positions. Also, no more bootleg 2 yard passes to a dragging TE.

6. Pick up the tempo - get to the line - and snap the ball. Call two plays in the huddle so we can run a quasi-no huddle from time to time.

7. Come out throwing in the 1st Quarter. No need to "establish the run" when the defense is already stacking the box to stop the run. We have to get out of 3rd and long situations.

1. Spread the field with four wide receivers and look for favorable matchups with our 3rd and 4th receivers working inside against a nickel/dime corner or a free safety. The spread also may allow SU to isolate Bailey one-on-one against a linebacker in pass coverate.

2. Get back to the zone read and make Nassib a running threat.

3. Get Kobena more involved in the offense on reverses and WR screens (see WVA).

4. Give Kinder a shot to run a couple of wildcat plays. He is more of a threat to throw the ball than Bailey which will lead to more balance from the defense.

5. Stop running 2-TE, 2 WR sets with Lemon and Chew at the WR spots. That makes us very slow at the skill positions. Also, no more bootleg 2 yard passes to a dragging TE.

6. Pick up the tempo - get to the line - and snap the ball. Call two plays in the huddle so we can run a quasi-no huddle from time to time.

7. Come out throwing in the 1st Quarter. No need to "establish the run" when the defense is already stacking the box to stop the run. We have to get out of 3rd and long situations.

You're sick of the old fake boot to the TE? Come on. I kid -- I actually wouldn't mind it if the QB was a threat to run, which at this point Nassib is not.

They had that plan on Saturday. Nassib needs to complete some freakin' passes.

No coaching staff in the nation (NFL or college) can come up with an offensive gameplan that results in points when the quarterback is constantly missing wide open receivers.

I'm no Xs and Os guy, but THIS, THIS, a thousand times THIS!

We need to play with some urgency. Hell, playing fast may give Nassib less time to think and force him just to react, which may be a good thing.

We need Nassib to be a threat to run. he does have some athletic ability, but has looked very hesitant to run.

They had that plan on Saturday. Nassib needs to complete some freakin' passes.

No coaching staff in the nation (NFL or college) can come up with an offensive gameplan that results in points when the quarterback is constantly missing wide open receivers.

I really think people are overreacting to this one game, where he received a lot of pressure. He had a bad game, but he has been accurate on a lot of passes, even one week before. Every QB will miss some passes, but if he has time, he has been pretty accurate.

Screens, draws and TE.

But if we don't get down so quickly by 14, I also think we sue a lot more "power" game and might see Smith/AAM more. You run at speed not aay from it. I believe if we didn't get down so fast to Ville that we would have used that to loosen Ville up some first.

I'd like to see an on top view of how Louisville attacked and what lanes they took. If they attack and still contain the lanes a draw won't work. I would like to see a qb draw depending on what look the d is giving and if the SU line can acquire the middle lb which I think Macky could do and is quick enough .

I really think people are overreacting to this one game, where he received a lot of pressure. He had a bad game, but he has been accurate on a lot of passes, even one week before. Every QB will miss some passes, but if he has time, he has been pretty accurate.

He has been fairly accurate this season with one glaring exception - the long ball. He has consistently overthrown his receivers this year. Granted, it was apparently rather windy in Louisville on Saturday, but this his plagued him indoors. We have missed on at least 5 TD passes this season on the long ball. Nassib really needs to work on getting more air under his deep throws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom