Ok... I'm totally against stereotypes... but... | Syracusefan.com

Ok... I'm totally against stereotypes... but...

I saw that too. Pedicure? Really? I'm an old fart and would never let anyone touch my toes but a 19-20 year old kid getting a pedicure and making it sound routine? I'm thinking a Philly kid would use a chain saw to trim his toe nails. What's the world coming to?

Funny thing is that manicures and pedicures are one of those "dirty little secrets" of pro athletes. And if you think about it, that luxury is completely understandable.

If my livelihood depended that heavily on my hands and feet, I'd be getting a Mani-pedi on a weekly basis as well.

431761_3028609508445_1059042493_2887381_661108111_n.jpg

scoop and rak say hello

Cuseclappy, I love that picture! I, too, was a little taken aback by Dion's pedicure. I am a woman of a certain age and have never had a mani or a pedi, which is admittedly quite unusual. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that a pedicure might actually be considered a necessity for these athletes. Think how they pound on those dogs, and how completely undone they might become by an ingrown toenail! Or, if their toenails get a little too long and the next thing they know they develop a huge, painful mother of a blister under their toenail, and they're in throbbing agony, and then the whole damn toenail falls off . . . okay, that was me. Glacier National Park.

I should have had a pedi.

Why is getting a mani-pedi stereotypical or out of the ordinary? It's 2012, do we really care about antiquated notions like this?

Ain't going no place where the staff needs to wear masks but the customers go commando.

One of my favorite stories is about the time that I met Andre Reed. It's slightly embarrassing how I tell it but it's true. Not only did he have the largest hands I had ever shaken hands with, but the softest also. This was at a golf outing and it was off season for him, but you could tell he spent a lot of time taking care of his hands.