OK - what do we have ????? | Syracusefan.com

OK - what do we have ?????

newmexicuse

All Conference
Yesterday was my first look at this year's team.

We mostly succeed or not based upon the D. Last night's D appeared to be very lackadaisical. Was that on the players or the coach ??? Jimmy believes shooting will revert to the mean, which did not happen yesterday. Sometimes it is upon the coach to help that reversion. it is easy to criticize the players for not closing out fast enough, but maybe the real solution was to extend the Zone, which is a coaching decision. Yes, they have small quick good ball handling guards, but still, sometimes you have to do something different to shake up the rhythm of the game. I only remember one possession where we pressed, they scored, and that was the end of it. Should have pressed more, even a soft press just to take time off of their clock and to try and disrupt their rhythm.

Many here clamoring for Frank. Truthfully, i did not pay enough attention to Jalen's D to say if he was especially victomized or not compared to Ty (and others) and maybe to what frank might have done. One thing was clear, every time we made some sort of a run, we gave up a daggar three to snuff out our rally. Fair to say that Jimmy made no discernible adjustments, that is not good coaching. Unfortunately, i saw more hustle from Hurley than i did from most of our players.

On rebounding - lack of effort was inexcuseable. By the stats Sid was the only big out there battling off the glass. He should have been rewarded with more minutes. That was probably the worst game i have seen from Oshae, what gives ? How does a 7'2" guy not get a single d board ???? Jimmy should have sent a message and stuck Bras in their for a cameo to let the others know that no hustle = no minutes.

On O - we have a bunch of slashers. Frank is an OK facilitator, but not a star caliber facilitator, so he will help, but not be a panacea when he returns. Amongst the others, marek is probably the best facilitator, but I did not see the marek from last season's playoffs. his o was passive, he did not establish himself as enough of a threat to keep em honest. he proved he could do it last season, he needs to not defer and play aggressively. If Oshae wants to play at the next level, he has to be able to post up at least a little bit. i saw none of that. i saw no improvement over last season. He has to step it up or may may well end up being a four year player for us. Why was ty in a funk almost the entire game. He is not a PG, just because he sometimes brings the ball upcourt that doesn't make him a PG. Why pretend, he needs to do what he does when he has the ball. Hughes, I liked what I saw even though he could have shot for a better percentage. He looks very smooth, too bad he was impacted by foul trouble. Jalen certainly was the bright spot. He is a natural scorer, while his game isn't facilitating, he did make several nice passes that weren't finished by bigs. The one thing he did not do was to drive and kick to an open three point shooter. maybe that comes with experience. Buddy, he seems to have early season shooting woes. His form is too good, he will make em if he gets opportunities. His role, if he is to have one, will be to stand at the three point line and hit open treys. However, in order to do that he needs somebody to drive and kick. Frank does a bit of that, but nobody else seems to have that skill, so what is a Buddy to do ??? The centers seemed limited. Chuk showed a little bit last year in being able to finish inside if he actually caught the ball. We did not seem to try and play in to him at all. Were the lilliputians totally neutralizing the big guy or were we not even looking at him. i think at least quite a bit of the latter. I still don't really have enough of a feel about what Sid can or cannot do with the ball. all I know is that if he can do some posting up he should be able to find a role in this O.

Anyways, I am not sure if this is a vent or a post. maybe a bit of both.

It was a rant.

Look, our guys played hard. They got beat by a team that rebounded better, shot better, moved the ball better. Frank would have helped on defense (better size and experience) and on offense by getting the team into sets. How much overall would Frank have contributed vs Carey's breakout game? Hope we know soon.

Strikes me as wrong to blame lack of adjustments or lack of effort. Our inside guys got beat by beefier UConn centers. The UConn guards made dagger threes to put the game out of reach. We need more from our 3 centers and 2 primary stars. Rebound at 4:30 and we are back on track.

It was a rant.

Look, our guys played hard. They got beat by a team that rebounded better, shot better, moved the ball better. Frank would have helped on defense (better size and experience) and on offense by getting the team into sets. How much overall would Frank have contributed vs Carey's breakout game? Hope we know soon.

Strikes me as wrong to blame lack of adjustments or lack of effort. Our inside guys got beat by beefier UConn centers. The UConn guards made dagger threes to put the game out of reach. We need more from our 3 centers and 2 primary stars. Rebound at 4:30 and we are back on track.
omg, if that is playing hard what would playing soft look like ????

Yesterday was my first look at this year's team.

We mostly succeed or not based upon the D. Last night's D appeared to be very lackadaisical. Was that on the players or the coach ??? Jimmy believes shooting will revert to the mean, which did not happen yesterday. Sometimes it is upon the coach to help that reversion. it is easy to criticize the players for not closing out fast enough, but maybe the real solution was to extend the Zone, which is a coaching decision. Yes, they have small quick good ball handling guards, but still, sometimes you have to do something different to shake up the rhythm of the game. I only remember one possession where we pressed, they scored, and that was the end of it. Should have pressed more, even a soft press just to take time off of their clock and to try and disrupt their rhythm.

Many here clamoring for Frank. Truthfully, i did not pay enough attention to Jalen's D to say if he was especially victomized or not compared to Ty (and others) and maybe to what frank might have done. One thing was clear, every time we made some sort of a run, we gave up a daggar three to snuff out our rally. Fair to say that Jimmy made no discernible adjustments, that is not good coaching. Unfortunately, i saw more hustle from Hurley than i did from most of our players.

On rebounding - lack of effort was inexcuseable. By the stats Sid was the only big out there battling off the glass. He should have been rewarded with more minutes. That was probably the worst game i have seen from Oshae, what gives ? How does a 7'2" guy not get a single d board ???? Jimmy should have sent a message and stuck Bras in their for a cameo to let the others know that no hustle = no minutes.

On O - we have a bunch of slashers. Frank is an OK facilitator, but not a star caliber facilitator, so he will help, but not be a panacea when he returns. Amongst the others, marek is probably the best facilitator, but I did not see the marek from last season's playoffs. his o was passive, he did not establish himself as enough of a threat to keep em honest. he proved he could do it last season, he needs to not defer and play aggressively. If Oshae wants to play at the next level, he has to be able to post up at least a little bit. i saw none of that. i saw no improvement over last season. He has to step it up or may may well end up being a four year player for us. Why was ty in a funk almost the entire game. He is not a PG, just because he sometimes brings the ball upcourt that doesn't make him a PG. Why pretend, he needs to do what he does when he has the ball. Hughes, I liked what I saw even though he could have shot for a better percentage. He looks very smooth, too bad he was impacted by foul trouble. Jalen certainly was the bright spot. He is a natural scorer, while his game isn't facilitating, he did make several nice passes that weren't finished by bigs. The one thing he did not do was to drive and kick to an open three point shooter. maybe that comes with experience. Buddy, he seems to have early season shooting woes. His form is too good, he will make em if he gets opportunities. His role, if he is to have one, will be to stand at the three point line and hit open treys. However, in order to do that he needs somebody to drive and kick. Frank does a bit of that, but nobody else seems to have that skill, so what is a Buddy to do ??? The centers seemed limited. Chuk showed a little bit last year in being able to finish inside if he actually caught the ball. We did not seem to try and play in to him at all. Were the lilliputians totally neutralizing the big guy or were we not even looking at him. i think at least quite a bit of the latter. I still don't really have enough of a feel about what Sid can or cannot do with the ball. all I know is that if he can do some posting up he should be able to find a role in this O.

Anyways, I am not sure if this is a vent or a post. maybe a bit of both.
How about we wait to get back to full strength before deciding what we do, and don't, have.

Especially since the missing piece is our starting point guard...