Class of 2014 - OL Billy Ray Mitchell (NJ) offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 OL Billy Ray Mitchell (NJ) offered

By Todderick Hunt, NJ.com
on May 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM, updated May 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

527048704d30386e35726741417a4d57

Billy Ray Mitchell is becoming one of the hottest names in state after logging offers from Central Michigan, Miami (OHIO), Southern Miss, N.C. State, Virginia Tech and most recently, Syracuse and Buffalo since the beginning of the spring evaluation period. The 6-4, 280-pound Paramus (N.J.) Catholic now holds 10 offers, overall, including tenders from UMass, Tulane and Akron. Not bad for a prospect who just recently realized he'd be playing competitively and likely at a high level, in college.
"I had no idea (I'd have all this success). I've always loved football but I never thought about the recruiting part of it much until this year when I got my first offer," Mitchell told NJ.com. "And then the BCS offers started to come in...
"It's obviously an honor to be offered by these schools, but I'm still in high school, still have another year, still trying to win a state championship and be the best I can next season."
Collegiate teams caught on to Mitchell's ability when reviewing game film of other highly sought-after prospects on the Paladins' roster, Jabrill Peppers and Juwan Bushell-Beatty. Mitchell has since proven to hold his own as a top recruit now that the the spring evaluation period has hit its stride.
"Schools tell me they like my aggressiveness, how I finish blocks," he said. "Probably the biggest thing is my athleticism and my passion for the game. When I play football, I can't play any other way than with my passion and emotion. I don't let my emotions control my game but I definitely thrive off my emotions when I play."
Due to his versatility and overall athletic ability, schools are recruiting Mitchell at multiple positions along the offensive line.
"Some schools are recruiting me as a tackle, some are recruiting me inside. I'd say most see me playing inside at guard or center," he said. "I just want to play somewhere and be as good as I can possibly be wherever I go."
Mitchell has been hearing from Rutgers tight ends coach, Anthony Campanile, who has picked up the recruiting duties of the Paramus Catholic standout. Although the Scarlet Knights have yet to extend an offer, Mitchell expects to set up an unofficial visit to campus in the near future.
"I'm hearing from them a little bit," said Mitchell of the Scarlet Knights. "Rutgers is a great school. Its in-state, and they are making a big move into the Big Ten. It's going to be interesting to see how they do this year.
"I've still gotta get to know all the schools a little bit," he continued. "This process is just starting still. I'm still getting to know schools and feel them out a little bit. And when I find the one that I like the most, that's the one that I'll go to."
So far, Mitchell has been on recruiting treks to Boston College (twice), UMass and UConn. He is planning to visit Virginia Tech and N.C. State before the conclusion of the month of May. Ole Miss is an additional school of interest that Mitchell hopes to visit, as well.
When looking back on he and his teammates' journey of becoming 2012 Non-public, Group IV sectional champions and many of them BCS-level recruits, Mitchell is taken aback by the level of recent success experienced throughout the Paladins program.
"It's just amazing to see where we've all come from. Alec Bowman, a transfer from BC, he's become a phenomenal inside lineman. He'll probably play a little center for us this year," he said. "Juwan Bushell-Beatty has come a long way, too. He'd never played football in his life until freshman year. And he's just gotten stronger, faster and smarter, becoming a great football player.
"And it's just great to play for the team in general. We have a bunch of D1(A) prospects and it's a lot of fun. You're not gonna find another program like this anywhere in the country."

Ryan3h
Paramus (NJ) Paramus Catholic offensive guard Billy Ray Mitchell is excited about his #Syracuse offer

Nice to have kids say that they are excited about their offer...plus I just love this name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom