Oline was better | Syracusefan.com

Oline was better

upperdeck

Living Legend
not great but better.. its so hard to watch some of these big time QBs just stand back there every play with 5-7 secs to throw and have them hyped up.. Tommy made some really solid throws today, when he has the time he is very accurate,

The run offense was a small step forward. Numbers were padded with a couple well time QB runs, Still very few real good holes a lot of small ones though.. baby steps, get thru HC and the bye and hope another step forward off the bye

I think we've seen what happens to the Bama QB when he gets pressure and TD is just as good or better imo.

Here's a small sample study comparing lines. Adams at OU averaged what per carry and how is he doing at SU per carry? I know it is a pretty big margin.

Baby steps indeed upperdeck as this group has to move from a 5/6 to 7 by the time SU hits its 6th or 7th game and solid 8's from there on.

This board cannot come to a consensus on how it feels the line did yesterday. I thought they looked better as well. RB’s had some holes. Tommy has time to make decisions.

We improved over our first three games. Good practice opponent next week in preparation for ACC slate of games. I’m feeling we’ll be happier with the line in 3 weeks.

until we can grind out a full drive running or run 3-4 times in a row with positive yds there is still a ton of work to do. Red zone issues will really cause concern until we show we can run in from 7-8 yds out. we get inside the 20 and the D is condensed and we seem to have to run some well timed confusion plays to score, because we cant power it home even 1 drive out of 5..

We are running against teams with 6 in the box and barely getting 1-3 yds a run.

TV guys brought up a good point, might be because of inside push, not sure. But they said TD keeps backing up, which makes it easier on the DE, harder on the OT.

There were times that Alton beat the OT outside, but he just kept him out there running behind the QB, while Wassink was up in the pocket.

TV guys brought up a good point, might be because of inside push, not sure. But they said TD keeps backing up, which makes it easier on the DE, harder on the OT.

There were times that Alton beat the OT outside, but he just kept him out there running behind the QB, while Wassink was up in the pocket.

Interesting...thus the phrase/term "Step into the pocket" comes from. Have to keep the DT's from pushing it back and keeping the DT's forcing the pocket back thus opening the QB to the DE's or DT's...correct?

Yes. Through the first three games he seemed to have a habit of stepping back or fleeing off to his right. Tommy did much better at stepping up into the pocket yesterday.

The OL was good at times, but then there were times when they were awful. Pretty inconsistent play. The good thing is the inconsistency is coming from young guys for the most part. There are plays when they look really good. I want to hope this will improve. I also noticed TD's bad habit of pack peddling. I think it will help him and the OL as a whole if he steps up in the pocket. That throw he made where he stepped up, knowing he was going to get drilled, and hit Jackson for that bomb showed the potential he has. He has shown he can sling it if given time. This was a much better game from him.

I really think when Sam comes back at 100% and Airon can move out to LT that we’ll be better. I think Carlos will be a very very good player for us but right now he looks like what he is, and that’s a RS Freshman. Which isn’t a knock on him by any means, but I do think we’ll see improvement. And with that I think we’ll see tommy get more and more comfortable moving around and stepping up in the pocket, like someone else already mentioned he showed improvement in that area yesterday which was very encouraging to see.

I really think when Sam comes back at 100% and Airon can move out to LT that we’ll be better. I think Carlos will be a very very good player for us but right now he looks like what he is, and that’s a RS Freshman. Which isn’t a knock on him by any means, but I do think we’ll see improvement. And with that I think we’ll see tommy get more and more comfortable moving around and stepping up in the pocket, like someone else already mentioned he showed improvement in that area yesterday which was very encouraging to see.

Is he also more suited at G? Isn’t that where he practiced last year?

When Sam comes back, Carlos will go to RT.

Not sure about that. Thought Alexander was much better yesterday, after an abysmal performance against Clemson. Given that, I'd expect Vett to shift to T3, and still play but in a reserve capacity.

If I were the coaches, I'd sit Heckel next week -- shouldn't be needed against Holy Cross. Ditto McKinley Williams. Then, they have the bye week to get another week of recovery, before coming back against NC State for the conference portion of the schedule.

Next week's game is a tune up game for the OL. Then get Heckel back, shift Servais back where he belongs, and see if those two moves help deliver more solid OL play, a la 2012.

Not sure about that. Thought Alexander was much better yesterday, after an abysmal performance against Clemson. Given that, I'd expect Vett to shift to T3, and still play but in a reserve capacity.

If I were the coaches, I'd sit Heckel next week -- shouldn't be needed against Holy Cross. Ditto McKinley Williams. Then, they have the bye week to get another week of recovery, before coming back against NC State for the conference portion of the schedule.

Next week's game is a tune up game for the OL. Then get Heckel back, shift Servais back where he belongs, and see if those two moves help deliver more solid OL play, a la 2012.

I’m going by what the final preseason OL was and the starters for Liberty.

I feel a lot better about that than having him protect tommy’s blindside, maybe a future at LT but not now. Also I think it could come down to how far along Ryan Alexander has come in terms of keeping up at the pace we want to go at.

They looked better because Babers/Lynch went to WR screens and quick passes to relieve the pressure. This is something I said they should do after the Clemson game.

mckinley still in a boot so no way he plays next week

He's got 18 days to get ready for NC State. Hopefully he's healed by then. Otherwise you gotta consider doing a four-game redshirt with him.

I would absolutely do the 4 game if he is willing.

play calling was better--i was impressed the offense seemed to mix things up a bit more and letting devito run (and not for his life) . they seemed to have changed the scheme somewhat.

I watched the game replay, the O-line is improved. Also, we weren't playing Clemson. The O-Line will not face another Clemson this fall. With Holy Cross next week and then a bye, there is plenty of opportunity to improve and we all know the HCDB gets kids to continuously improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom