OMG: CAL doing a telethon for Sandy victims | Syracusefan.com

OMG: CAL doing a telethon for Sandy victims

arbitragegls

All Conference
wow...now i will re-evaluate Cal as a person...NOT! From ESPN:

Above all, though, there is the ability to marshal that popularity for a good cause. This week, coach John Calipari will seek to do just that for the second time in his Kentucky tenure. This weekend, Kentucky announced it will host a telethon Wednesday to raise money for victims of Hurricane Sandy. According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, the telethon will air 7 to 8 p.m. ET.

In 2010, his first season at Kentucky, Calipari held a telethon for victims of the devastating earthquake in Haiti. Thanks to call-in donations and matching private pledges, "Hoops For Haiti" sent more than $1 million to the ravaged island, and UK got a personal call from none other than President Barack Obama thanking the players for their conscientious contributions.

wow...now i will re-evaluate Cal as a person...NOT! From ESPN:

Above all, though, there is the ability to marshal that popularity for a good cause. This week, coach John Calipari will seek to do just that for the second time in his Kentucky tenure. This weekend, Kentucky announced it will host a telethon Wednesday to raise money for victims of Hurricane Sandy. According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, the telethon will air 7 to 8 p.m. ET.

In 2010, his first season at Kentucky, Calipari held a telethon for victims of the devastating earthquake in Haiti. Thanks to call-in donations and matching private pledges, "Hoops For Haiti" sent more than $1 million to the ravaged island, and UK got a personal call from none other than President Barack Obama thanking the players for their conscientious contributions.

Good job by Calipari. The more help the better.

I know its fun to hate... but...daaaaamn.

Boeheim takes a picture with school children and he is some type of modern day saviour of man kind.
Coach Cal uses his fame to get some money for a good cause = horrible person.

I know we all love to hate Cal, but is his putting on a telethon for charity really something to take shots at him about?

Good for him for using his celebrity to raise money for the victims.
I'm certain he is doing this more for himself than for anybody else.

You know damn well it's only a matter of time before he's doing Dancing With The Stars. He's college basketballs Kate Goselin or better yet the Kardashians.

He may very well, but the money he raises is still gonna help people who need it

Just to play devil's advocate:

Haiti Relief - Could it have helped with Nerlens Noel who is originally from Haiti?

Sandy Relief - Could it help with 2015 #1 Center Karl Towns out of NJ?

Why didn't he have a telethon earlier this year for the Kentucky tornado victims?

Interesting article about Calipari seemingly wanting more attention for his good deeds:
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...ter-charity-efforts-calipari-takes-to-twitter

Even if he may have other intentions with his charity, at least someone in need will end up benefiting.

He may very well, but the money he raises is still gonna help people who need it
No doubt. I'd be impressed if he said he'd match it up to a million.

Calipari also eats mainly at Spanish restaurants. Is this to appease his best recruiting guy, who is Spanish? Guy is totally transparent!!!1

The bottom line is it makes us look bitter and flat out bush league to try to call him out on this. We are better than that. Christ, we aren't Rutgers.