On Coaching: Where is the Running Game?? | Syracusefan.com

On Coaching: Where is the Running Game??

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
When you look at the pieces that make up this team, you've got two guards who are great in the open floor in Battle and Gillon, but now Gillon seems a bit hesitant to take it all the way when we have a fast break.

Battle still hasn't shown that he can get by college players on the drive. But he is really good in the open floor, so let's get the running game going !!

White is our go-to guy, but he's better taking a spot up three as the trailer on the break, than he is doing it off balance in the half court offense as the shot clock is running out.

These guys don't know and trust each other well enough yet to play well in the halfcourt, but fast break basketball is like AAU, summer pick up ball. Everybody knows their roles and how to play that style. Let's get out and run !!! It will cure a lot of our current ills. It will get us easier baskets, and it will take advantage of what our guard are best at.

Sure, you have to rebound, but it's as much about the outlet pass, and getting after the 50/50 balls. If you are picking up the loose balls and getting steals (we are getting fewer than I anticipated), each one of those is an opportunity to run. That's what's been missing.

Is it just talent or the system? I mean UK and UCLA can come in and run good offense, get easy baskets (and they could shred a zone, IMO), etc. with tons of new faces and be alright. Many other top programs are doing the same. This 'new pieces' argument is losing its luster. Not meant towards you Matt but in general.

Agree. Add on token pressure to eat up an extra 6 seconds off of the newly shortened shot clock. For years we would have Cooney run around outside screens like a crazy person to get off a 3. White is a better shooter. Why not have him run a little? So there are three tangible suggestions right there.

guessing Fredericks can't pick up the defensive schemes to relay to the line, his hands have left much to be desired too. Stricklands been ok but he hasn't taken the sophomore leap i think we all saw coming. Mo Neal looks like a boy amongst men out there but damn that boy has legs.

Where's Hill been??

guessing Fredericks can't pick up the defensive schemes to relay to the line, his hands have left much to be desired too. Stricklands been ok but he hasn't taken the sophomore leap i think we all saw coming. Mo Neal looks like a boy amongst men out there but damn that boy has legs.

Where's Hill been??

90% of people on this board are not going to have a clue as to what this means. But they will, although I hope they move Moe to the slot.

Agree. Add on token pressure to eat up an extra 6 seconds off of the newly shortened shot clock. For years we would have Cooney run around outside screens like a crazy person to get off a 3. White is a better shooter. Why not have him run a little? So there are three tangible suggestions right there.

White's context out of free agency says he doesn't have to run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom