On the right path | Syracusefan.com

On the right path

jordoo

Living Legend
After watching the two exhibitions and our first game against Cornell I feel good about SU being on the right path to improve greatly over the course of the season. I see a bunch of two-way players. I see a whole rotation of guys who aren't afraid. The pieces are there to be an excellent defensive team this year but more importantly the willingness is there for everybody.

Offensively it's going to be a work in progress but with the exception of one guy everyone is at least somewhat of a threat on that end. We also have multiple guys that can create to an extent with the ball in their hands. I like the improvements I'm seeing in each guys game over just these first three.

There's a long way to go and a lot of challenges in the OOC schedule. Those challenges can be a serious plus developmentally. The team's going to have to improve steadily to continue winning. This is going to be a great learning season for the guys that'll be back next year but there's also potential to be a scary opponent in the NCAA tournament this year. I tend to evaluate to the most positive extreme early in the season so take that with a grain of salt. That said I have a feeling that this group is going to give us quite an interesting season and be in most games because of the defense.

Last edited:
After watching the two exhibitions and our first game against Cornell I feel good about SU being on the right path to improve greatly over the course of the season. I see a bunch of two-way players. I see a whole rotation of guys who aren't afraid. The pieces are there to be an excellent defensive team this year but more importantly the willingness is there for everybody.
That I believe is the biggest difference from the past several years.

We would have 2 guys good on offense, 2 good on defense and 1 good at both or neither, on the court at the same. Now everybody seems like they want to play on both sides of the ball.

Offensively it's going to be a work in progress but with the exception of one guy everyone is at least somewhat of a threat on that end. We also have multiple guys that can create to an extent with the ball in their hands. I like the improvements I'm seeing in each guys game over just these first three.

There's a long way to go and a lot of challenges in the OOC schedule. Those challenges can be a serious plus developmentally. The team's going to have to improve steadily to continue winning. This is going to be a great learning season for the guys that'll be back next year but there's also potential to be a scary opponent in the NCAA tournament this year. I tend to evaluate to the most positive extreme early in the season so take that with a grain of salt. That said I have a feeling that this group is going to give us quite an interesting season and be in most games because of the defense.

During the the two years between our near championship of 1987 & the ‘Rhode’ disappointment of 1988 we had arguably the best rebounding tandem duo the Orangemen have ever had to date in our all around ‘Windex Man’ Mr. Derrick Coleman and our own first US basketball ‘Greek Freak’ Mr. Rony Seikaly.

After watching the shellacking we put on the boards against an obviously inferior Cornell team, the future potential to defend and finish a defensive possession by being as aggressive on the boards as a pack of wolves was as impressive to behold as any other Orange team in the last several decades. Brissett, Moyer & Sidibe all exhibited a blend of junkyard determination, hands, timing, athleticism and skill to warrant the kind of lunch pail, finish the job, dogged determination that we as fans would find endearing, but more importantly, provide the time and growth for the offense to mature while we may excel in an area that has not been so common in our zone defenses in many decades. Can you imagine if Chukwu with two good eyes figures it out how even more imposing we might be on defense and on the glass?

There were a few Pitt teams I can recall who would clean our clock on the boards in our old Big East days. Those Pitt teams would have nothing on us if we continue on the promise and trajectory this team has.

To borrow a phrase from our men’s lacrosse breathren, I like our HHH, head, heart and hustle on the defensive end and I especially appreciate our potential as a defensive force to be reckoned with on the glass as much as on any team we have put on the court in years. I like us as a tough out against just about anybody if we can keep learning and bring it like that during the season. I expect this season to be quite enjoyable and entertaining no matter the bruises this year because we look as a team like we are going to keep on coming through our lessons during our wins and despite our losses. Perhaps there is something to be said about being an under appreciated underdog. I expect our Orange Nation to be pleased with this team as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom