On to the NCAA Bracket | Syracusefan.com

On to the NCAA Bracket

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
I know some of you have no interest in discussing it now (or at all), and I respect that. But some may want to discuss it.

Anybody have initial thoughts on the tourney now that the bracket is out/

Just something to spark discussion.

Who do you see as the first:
#1 seed out
#2 seed out
#3 seed out
#4 seed out

#1 seeds

Tough choice. Kansas is always a good candidate to blow it in the second round. And they potentially have Miami / Michigan St in the second round which will not be easy. But if they can get to the round of 16 they get close to home court and may get to play a Big 12 mate (As an aside the committee just totally threw out the bracketing preference to keep conferences away from each other until the elite 8, IF the conference has 8 teams or less I had never seen that before)

Gonzaga also has the second round blunders when they are highly ranked. I think they got a solid matchup however against Northwestern/Vanderbilt. They should not get overwhelmed athletically which is always a concern when they move to the tournament. It could be the same story in the Sweet 16 if Notre Dame gets through West Virginia.

Villanova got a tough draw in round 2 with Wisconsin potentially being underseeded (another team who seems to play better in the tournament). They also struggled with Virginia earlier in the year who is a potential sweet 16 matchup.

North Carolina seems to have the easiest draw to the Elite 8.

Pick to Fall First - Gonzaga. While Kansas has the best chance to fall in round 2, I expect they get through. So it has to be Gonzaga who will be heavily challenged as soon as they get to the round of 16.

Easiest Path to Elite Eight - UNC

#2 seeds

How about the second round re-match of Kentucky vs Wichita St from 3 years ago. That was a great game, and you know Marshall will have them up first this. Really looking forward to this potential.

I think most of the other 2 seeds have fairly good roads to the elite 8 in my view

Last edited:
My Final Four is Villanova, Arizona, Louisville, UCLA.
Villanova vs. UCLA for the title. UCLA wins.

First one seed out Kansas.
First two seed out Duke.
First three seed out Oregon to Rhode Island.
First four seed out Purdue.

I like Middle Tennessee to win 2 games.

My Final Four is Villanova, Arizona, Louisville, UCLA.
Villanova vs. UCLA for the title. UCLA wins.

First one seed out Kansas.
First two seed out Duke.
First three seed out Oregon to Rhode Island.
First four seed out Purdue.

I like Middle Tennessee to win 2 games.

Aren't you worried that UCLA plays pretty bad defense? If they need a few stops late in a game, I don't think they can get them.

Edited to add: Their Kempom numbers are almost exactly like Duke's last year and they got knocked out in the Sweet 16. Not that Kempom is the end all, but it would concern me.

Aren't you worried that UCLA plays pretty bad defense? If they need a few stops late in a game, I don't think they can get them.

Edited to add: Their Kempom numbers are almost exactly like Duke's last year and they got knocked out in the Sweet 16. Not that Kempom is the end all, but it would concern me.
There defense isn't elite but their offense is. The only defensive team they would have in my scenario would be Louisville. If it got that late anybody could win.
I just like Lonzo Ball. I think he is the best player in the tournament and feel UCLA is going deep. Kentucky/North Carolina would be a tough path but I like the Bruins.

#1 seed out: Gonzaga
#2 seed out: Kentucky
#3 seed out: Florida State
#4 seed out: Purdue

I know that SWFL and I have been pumping up FGCU, but now that this game is being played roughly 3hrs away from campus, this could be a very interesting game! FGCU has a decent sized front court for a mid major that is deep and very athletic, as well as solid guard play. Not a great 3pt shooting team which could be the reason they don't pull this off, but they are one of the better teams in the country in the paint. They are also experienced, and play a lot of transfers from major programs that will not be intimidated by FSU's athletes.

SWFL had a great break down in another thread, but this would not shock me in the least, especially with the way that FSU plays defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom