One and dones - another way to think about it | Syracusefan.com

One and dones - another way to think about it

Fat tire 13

But I really prefer IPAs
While we have been discussing everything from the perspective of Cuse basketball, it made me think about the rule itself and the impact on both college and NBA. My apologies if this has been already debated, but didn't see anything recently

My overall thought is the rule does more harm than good. What could be done to improve? I kind of like what is done in baseball. If you get drafted in high school, you either go straight to the pros of back to college for three years. The one year of college is simply a NBA audition for the top 10-20 prospects. There are too many new faces each year. Teams don't get time to gel. It seems like the overall experience of watching college basketball has deteriorated as a result. Major programs need to play along and get the top guys, even if they prefer to develop players instead. From the NBA perspective, how much does the one year of college affect the decision to draft someone? Giles is still a projected first rounder.

The downside is NBA teams would reach for high school talent like before the rule was implemented. Still, there don't seem to be fewer "busts" because of the new rule. There are still people like Anthony Bennett

Or for fun, we can predict what LeBron would have done 2002-2003. Average 30/10/10, take Ohio State to the finals, and lose to Melo like Kansas?

That is why college b-ball was so great to watch back in the 80's and parts of the 90's. You really think Jordan, Olajuwon, Drexler, Ewing, DC, Rony, Barkley, etc. would have stayed past a year or two. Really, really wish they would go back to this and like you said, make both college and NBA a better product. Oh plus it made life a little easier on college coach's unlike today with the stupid one and done rule, unless you are PayPalCal and can funnel in recruits left and right with the right asking price.

Whether a player can go to college for 0, 1, 2, or 5 years doesn't change the fact there will always be "busts".

It's so difficult to determine what players who stick on rosters because so much of it has to do with situation, injuries, personal hardwork, and opportunity.

the one and done has become the norm rather the exception for 5 star players (even less rated). with this new reality just up the number of scholarships available. add 2 more. doesn't cost the ncaa a nickel and allows programs to soften the blow of early jumpers.

Whether a player can go to college for 0, 1, 2, or 5 years doesn't change the fact there will always be "busts".

It's so difficult to determine what players who stick on rosters because so much of it has to do with situation, injuries, personal hardwork, and opportunity.
I agree it won't eliminate busts. The question, is 1 year of college that much different than 0? Is the 1 year rule supposed to help NBA teams evaluate better, so they don't end up with the next Kwame Brown? I don't know the answer, but curious to what others think. I would say it definitely hurts the college experience, so if it is not helping the NBA teams, what's the point?

I agree it won't eliminate busts. The question, is 1 year of college that much different than 0? Is the 1 year rule supposed to help NBA teams evaluate better, so they don't end up with the next Kwame Brown? I don't know the answer, but curious to what others think. I would say it definitely hurts the college experience, so if it is not helping the NBA teams, what's the point?

Pretty much. a nd I think it is helping teams, they get to see the elite prospects for another year against a higher level of competition (generally) than in high school. I know Silver would like to add another year to it.

Pretty much. a nd I think it is helping teams, they get to see the elite prospects for another year against a higher level of competition (generally) than in high school. I know Silver would like to add another year to it.
Two years would seem like a good compromise

Baseball rules get my vote. A player either goes pro right away or he commits to playing in college. I'd be happy with a 2 year college commitment instead of 3.

This would help the D League, help the NCAA, and ultimately help NBA teams. I don't know who would oppose this or why.