one and done's | Syracusefan.com

one and done's

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
finally caught up to Kentucky atleast so far this year. It left them with an inexperienced , unstable team this year. Number 1 recruiting classes are a double edged sword in their case. Even though i'd probably take a NC than not make the tourny the next year myself, if it happens.

will they have room for their next crop when noel is the only person to declare that is guaranteed a lottery pick.

will they have room for their next crop when noel is the only person to declare that is guaranteed a lottery pick.

Who all do they have though.. Harrow,Goodwin,Noel,Poythress,Wiltjer,Cauley-Stein, Polson and a couple other kids who were given schollies? They would likely still have room at the inn even if Noel is the only one to leave. Of course that could be a major concern regarding playing time with so much talent headed there next season.

Don't write Kentucky's obit just yet. I've not seen them play but for parts of two games but they do have talent and Cal, despite the hate here, is a good coach and is on a mission to get these kids drafted. I'm guessing as they gain experience they will improve dramatically. Seems like Michigan State always starts slow and comes on like a freight train (they were awful last year vs. NC on that boat). Izzo is a better coach than Cal but I suspect Kentuck will be a force this year and we'll be complaining again about their one and dones.

They will still end up with a good record. The sec is terrible, but this is definitely one of cals weaker teams going back to Memphis.

But a few of their recruits from this year will stay, then you get Harrison twins and possibly Wiggins. Oh, and James Young.

Same boat as last year, title contender.

Meanwhile, about that Baylor team they lost to...

Who all do they have though.. Harrow,Goodwin,Noel,Poythress,Wiltjer,Cauley-Stein, Polson and a couple other kids who were given schollies? They would likely still have room at the inn even if Noel is the only one to leave. Of course that could be a major concern regarding playing time with so much talent headed there next season.
It may take a lil time but theyll be fine,there is no way they dont make the tourney this year! I wish they would blow it but there is too much talent and too good a coach for it not too come together

Poythress seems to be their best player right now. It'll be interesting to see if they improve enough by march to make some noise. It'll also be interesting to see how many of them eat some humble pie and realize they're not good enough to make the jump. If enough do, they could be scary next year.

Poythress seems to be their best player right now. It'll be interesting to see if they improve enough by march to make some noise. It'll also be interesting to see how many of them eat some humble pie and realize they're not good enough to make the jump. If enough do, they could be scary next year.
I agree, they would be a very talented and deep team. The problem is, that would blow Cal's model to hell. These guys were sure fire first rounders coming in, if they aren't one and done then Cal will lose some luster. I am sure he will gladly sweep them out the door to make room for the next crop. None of the players he is bringing in signed up to sit on the bench.

Even if only one or two leave this year, he will still be able to sell the incoming class on sharing playing time. He could sell SU's sixth- man model and even start using it extensively: "Look at Dion Waiters for Syracuse, he came off the bench, played 24 mins and was drafted fourth." If they have a mix of talented, experienced sophomores and top freshmen, they have to be favorites to win it all.

Not every top player comes in and dominates. Texas recruits well and has been meh. They just got beat down the other night with ESPN trying to pump up their top rated big man in the promo for the game.

UK had the perfect storm to have a dominant team last year. Anthony Davis is light years better than Noel and that once in a decade type talent combined with elite returning players.

No doubt UK will get better and in the watered down garbage that is SEC Basketball they will probably end up with a decent seed but if Poythress and Noel bolt for the NBA, Cal better hope his incoming class has the next Anthony Davis in it..and maybe it does, BUT if it doesnt, then I think the luster starts to come off.

Even if only one or two leave this year, he will still be able to sell the incoming class on sharing playing time. He could sell SU's sixth- man model and even start using it extensively: "Look at Dion Waiters for Syracuse, he came off the bench, played 24 mins and was drafted fourth." If they have a mix of talented, experienced sophomores and top freshmen, they have to be favorites to win it all.
I think you can sell that sixth man model to fringe top 25 players, but more likely top 40 players. Top ten guys want to start and get to the league ASAP. Generally speaking of course, there are exceptions, no doubt.

I think you can sell that sixth man model to fringe top 25 players, but more likely top 40 players. Top ten guys want to start and get to the league ASAP. Generally speaking of course, there are exceptions, no doubt.
Yea im pretty sure we didnt tell McCullough that he can be our sixth man.

Yea im pretty sure we didnt tell McCullough that he can be our sixth man.
Yeah, by the time he is here Fair will have just graduated and Christmas may be gone as well. McCullough will surely have a starting forward spot. Oneof the great things about Syracuse's system is that the forward positions are interchangable.

I agree, they would be a very talented and deep team. The problem is, that would blow Cal's model to hell. These guys were sure fire first rounders coming in, if they aren't one and done then Cal will lose some luster. I am sure he will gladly sweep them out the door to make room for the next crop. None of the players he is bringing in signed up to sit on the bench.
His model is more fiction that the media has created than it is truth. The Wall/Cousins year they had all kinds of contributions from upper classmen. Last year was the most freshman heavy he's been and even then they had Lamb and upper classmen filling important roles. If NN and Poythrress were the only guys to leave, the rest of the guys with next years class would resemble last years team moreso than this year's does.

His model is more fiction that the media has created than it is truth. The Wall/Cousins year they had all kinds of contributions from upper classmen. Last year was the most freshman heavy he's been and even then they had Lamb and upper classmen filling important roles. If NN and Poythrress were the only guys to leave, the rest of the guys with next years class would resemble last years team moreso than this year's does.
I completely agree, but Cal seems to be a master of marketing himself as the guy to get these kids to the league after one season under his watch. We all know that these one and done kids do not improve their stock after one year there, but that is all these kids talk about, "Cal gets guys to the league".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom