One more Nassib thread (or maybe a Manuel thread, I dunno)... | Syracusefan.com

One more Nassib thread (or maybe a Manuel thread, I dunno)...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
I don't really get the outrage on this board. It's a business, the Bills had Manuel higher on their draft board for the type of offense they plan on running.

To me "the type of offense they plan on running" is key here. I'm thinking they are looking to go read option (much like SU's offense last year) except with a quarterback that can actually tuck it and run. Essentially in drafting Manuel, they are looking to San Francisco, and Colin Kaepernick.

It's not a secret that SU ran the read option, without a real threat to run out of the quarterback. Now with Manuel, they have that. Colin Kaepernick was not known as a fantastic thrower, but he was fantastic at the read option. His throwing was good enough (accurate enough) in year two to make that package work.

I think that's what the Bills are going for. With Fred Jackson and especially CJ Spiller, why wouldn't they?

I don't really get the outrage on this board. It's a business, the Bills had Manuel higher on their draft board for the type of offense they plan on running.

To me "the type of offense they plan on running" is key here. I'm thinking they are looking to go read option (much like SU's offense last year) except with a quarterback that can actually tuck it and run. Essentially in drafting Manuel, they are looking to San Francisco, and Colin Kaepernick.

It's not a secret that SU ran the read option, without a real threat to run out of the quarterback. Now with Manuel, they have that. Colin Kaepernick was not known as a fantastic thrower, but he was fantastic at the read option. His throwing was good enough (accurate enough) in year two to make that package work.

I think that's what the Bills are going for. With Fred Jackson and especially CJ Spiller, why wouldn't they?
kaepernick's passer rating was 150 his senior year

kaepernick's passer rating was 150 his senior year
And EJ Manuel's was 156. What's the point? So they both have good QB ratings, but were both were questioned in regards to their passing acumen. Not sure what you're saying.

As a matter of fact Manuel was better or similar to Kaepernick in pretty much every passing measurable. The major difference was in rushing, but Manuel ran a spread whereas Kaepernick ran a straight up read option attack.

Completely agree. Its the NFL...Its a business. Marrone wasnt going to pick Nassib to be the nice guy and "to give his guy a shot!" Clearly the Bills are trying to run an offense with a mobile QB and not so much looking for a pocker passer. And being a Bills fan, I am happy with that because I'm sick of having medicore pocket passers at QB that get sacked 12x a game. I think Manuel could be a Kaepernick kind of QB. Spread the field with his feet and agility and ability the throw the deep ball. Marrone and Hackett will have to work on his accuracy and ability to read coverages.

Fair enough but he could have given the kid a plug and some kind words this morning instead of the crap he dished out on Mike and Mike. Some would say his silence really hurt Ryan. We'll see I certainly hope not.

The only reason people were talking about Nassib in the 1st round was going to the Bills. And as Marrone said today, that was other's projections based on the prior relationship.

He's the coach of the Bills, not Nassib's agent. So he talked about the guy he picked, not the one he didn't.

Good post. Marrone is the head coach of the Bills now. His only job is to do what's right in his mind for the organization. Nassib/Marrone in B Lo had media circus written all over it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Fair enough but he could have given the kid a plug and some kind words this morning instead of the crap he dished out on Mike and Mike. Some would say his silence really hurt Ryan. We'll see I certainly hope not.

This.

The only reason people were talking about Nassib in the 1st round was going to the Bills. And as Marrone said today, that was other's projections based on the prior relationship.

He's the coach of the Bills, not Nassib's agent. So he talked about the guy he picked, not the one he didn't.

That only goes so far. Talk the crap out of EJ - but you can at least mention Ryan's name in an interview on Mike and Mike.

You can do both. There is nothing lost by talking about Ryan.

I can't imagine that anything Marrone said on Mike and Mike this morning will impact where Nassib sits on teams' draft boards, after they've evaluated him and other prospects leading up to the draft.

Am I the only one who thinks it is good that Nassib will end up somewhere other than Buffalo, where he won't be attached at the hip to Marrone and get a clean slate from the fanbase?

Don't you know Marrone doesn't comment on people who are no longer with the program?

I get it, I get it- but a few kind words would not have killed him. This is the morning after a very disappointing night for Ryan and DM could have said something positive. Instead he just blathered on with the company line. He just does not get it - its all about him. I was never a Marrone basher and defended him in the darkest days but the more I see of him without my Orange Shades the less I like him as a human being.
You see the same people on the way down as you saw on the way up Coach.
Hopefully today Ryan will go to the Eagles and beat the crap out of Buffalo the next time they play.

The big question is will DM be around when EJ is ready to finally play??

Who cares what Marrone says to the media? And I'm not calling anybodies opinion out but how do you know he didn't give Ryan a glowing review to all the GM's and coaches that asked? They're the ones doing the drafting.

Who cares what Marrone says to the media? And I'm not calling anybodies opinion out but how do you know he didn't give Ryan a glowing review to all the GM's and coaches that asked? They're the ones doing the drafting.

Ryan probably cares. It is for him that Doug could have said something. That would have been the classy thing to do IMO. Other teams probably don't give a hoot about Buffalo, DM, Nix etc.

Ryan probably cares. It is for him that Doug could have said something. That would have been the classy thing to do IMO. Other teams probably don't give a hoot about Buffalo, DM, Nix etc.
Agreed about what he could've said for Ryan's sake, but he didn't, at least publicly. Maybe they did have a discussion privately, maybe they didn't. And I guarantee other teams most certainly asked Doug about Ryan.

Agreed about what he could've said for Ryan's sake, but he didn't, at least publicly. Maybe they did have a discussion privately, maybe they didn't. And I guarantee other teams most certainly asked Doug about Ryan.

Well, since I am a Giants fan and not a Bills fan I can root for Justin and forget about anything West of Syracuse.

Giants fan as well, and I love the Pugh pickup. And I'll say this, I could give a rats @$$ how EJ Manuel does in Orchard Park. If Ryan was there I'd probably find a spot in my nature to root a little harder for Buffalo.