One more thing on Louisville | Syracusefan.com

One more thing on Louisville

Orangemen

All Conference
For as good a team as they are (and I think they are very good), they are extremely dependent on Dieng. The game was night and day different when he was out.

I think Pitino made a major mistake taking him out with 3 fouls. The second he left the floor the inside was wide open for SU, and we went right after it.

The fact that Duke beat Ville without Dieng really takes a lot away from their victory in my eyes.

Also, I'm thankful that JB has never played with that control freak mentality regarding fouls. I think Pitino might have cost his team the game by taking him out. I think he really hurt his chances last year as well by benching Siva with 2 fouls early in the first half (though based on Siva's performance against SU, that may not be true).

For as good a team as they are (and I think they are very good), they are extremely dependent on Dieng. The game was night and day different when he was out.

I think Pitino made a major mistake taking him out with 3 fouls. The second he left the floor the inside was wide open for SU, and we went right after it.

The fact that Duke beat Ville without Dieng really takes a lot away from their victory in my eyes.

Also, I'm thankful that JB has never played with that control freak mentality regarding fouls. I think Pitino might have cost his team the game by taking him out. I think he really hurt his chances last year as well by benching Siva with 2 fouls early in the first half (though based on Siva's performance against SU, that may not be true).
Totally agree on that. A good strategy is to try to make him defend down low. Go at him with all 3 "centers", plus Fair & Grant and make him sit on the bench as much as possible.

i do think montrezl harrell is a beast and will be a serious issue down the line. Dieng is a jr, which is frightening. hopefully he will go pro after this season.

hopefully he will go pro after this season.
Why?

If Syracuse plays against Louisville next year it would be in the NCAA Tournament.

Why?

If Syracuse plays against Louisville next year it would be in the NCAA Tournament.
good point. Still wouldn't want to see him in the NCAA next year. Louisville will be better next year, after all, they are losing Siva.

I love how LVille bigs can always pass. I would kill to have a big who knew about "inside outside". The ball doesn't have to be shot every time you get it down low.

Pitino had not used the high post with Dieng passing much at all until this game. He usually curls Siva or Russ off a Dieng screen to enter the lane, but you guys gave us none of that with your D. I think Pitino's strategy worked well, but got pretty predictable (which was one factor in Siva's late turnover).

Pitino is not the best at creating an inside offense. For much of Pitino's tenure at UofL he has played the inside-out gam,e where he gets a decent three after briefly throwing it inside. But recently that we have had some strength inside, we have no outside touch.

I don't know much about JB's tactics, but Pitino does not give a player too much leeway on D, even if he is a beast on offense underneath. Hence, Harrell has a real short rope due to what Pitino perceives his defensive lapses. I hope Pitino gets a hardon when he watches Gorgui's passing, because we need more of that.

Pitino had not used the high post with Dieng passing much at all until this game. He usually curls Siva or Russ off a Dieng screen to enter the lane, but you guys gave us none of that with your D. I think Pitino's strategy worked well, but got pretty predictable (which was one factor in Siva's late turnover).

Pitino is not the best at creating an inside offense. For much of Pitino's tenure at UofL he has played the inside-out gam,e where he gets a decent three after briefly throwing it inside. But recently that we have had some strength inside, we have no outside touch.

I don't know much about JB's tactics, but Pitino does not give a player too much leeway on D, even if he is a beast on offense underneath. Hence, Harrell has a real short rope due to what Pitino perceives his defensive lapses. I hope Pitino gets a hardon when he watches Gorgui's passing, because we need more of that.

Inside out is the way to beat SU. Just look at any tape from our NCAA losses...fundamentally sound bigs who can pass with a couple guards who can shoot. Those teams give us fits.

Inside out is the way to beat SU. Just look at any tape from our NCAA losses...fundamentally sound bigs who can pass with a couple guards who can shoot. Those teams give us fits.

I agree. But you have to have someone who can shoot, right?

yea, I wasn't impressed with Louisville at all. They appeared to be a 2 man team, and rely totally on the D of Dieng and RS. I know Behanan was off his game, and Siva won't always shoot like he is blind, but if they don't shut people down, they are very beatable. They needed to keep this game at least 10 points lower and couldn't do it thanks to Brandon, Grant and MCW.
Interesting that Rick had Dieng at the high post all game, and on the final play he needed to tie, he dumps him down low for the fumble. Doh!

Louisville doesnt have the shooter (or shooters) this year to use that inside out strategy like they have had and done in the past. Guys like Kuric are not on this roster.

yea, I wasn't impressed with Louisville at all. They appeared to be a 2 man team, and rely totally on the D of Dieng and RS. I know Behanan was off his game, and Siva won't always shoot like he is blind, but if they don't shut people down, they are very beatable. They needed to keep this game at least 10 points lower and couldn't do it thanks to Brandon, Grant and MCW.
Interesting that Rick had Dieng at the high post all game, and on the final play he needed to tie, he dumps him down low for the fumble. Doh!

I guess everyone sees the game played in his own light. Behanan was over powered by you guys underneath. As far as keeping the game under control, Triche had a thing or two to say about that. After the first 10 minutes when Triche hit 8 quick points, Louisville led most of the game (leading over 25 of the remaining 30 minutes). If time balances Triche's preformance and Siva's performance even two 2 points from yesterday, it will be a different game in the dome.

I guess everyone sees the game played in his own light. Behanan was over powered by you guys underneath. As far as keeping the game under control, Triche had a thing or two to say about that. After the first 10 minutes when Triche hit 8 quick points, Louisville led most of the game (leading over 25 of the remaining 30 minutes). If time balances Triche's preformance and Siva's performance even two 2 points from yesterday, it will be a different game in the dome.
My favorite retort, "if everyone played they way they should have we would have...". If I played bball the way I do in my mind I'd make Lebron James look like Terrence Williams.

Harrell is scary good .. best finisher around the hoop for a big man I've seen all year (DC2 take note .. he never puts the ball on the floor to gather himself). Glad his D is bit behind otherwise we are in big trouble.

My favorite retort, "if everyone played they way they should have we would have...". If I played bball the way I do in my mind I'd make Lebron James look like Terrence Williams.

We will have to wait to see. Triche 9-13 Siva 1-9 Equally absurd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom