One of the greatest SU fan celebrations of all-time | Syracusefan.com

One of the greatest SU fan celebrations of all-time

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
On March 21, 1987 Syracuse faced the favored North Carolina Tar Heels in the Meadowlands. Led by Ron Seikaly's 26 points, Derrick Coleman's 14 rebounds and Sherman Douglas' 9 assists the Orangemen defeated the kings of the vaunted ACC 79-75 to advance SU to the Final Four in New Orleans.

On that date I had a softball meeting at O' Leary's bar on Burnet Av. Our team stayed to watch the game in what was a packed house. Bill DeMarle of the 1975 Final Four team sat next to me as we high fived throughout the contest. It was the most fun I had ever had watching a Syracuse game in a setting like that.

Later that evening, caught up in the excitement, I along with thousands of other fans headed out to Hancock Airport to greet the team. Cars were lined up on both sides of the entrance road. I forged my way into the lobby, right up front near the podium. Many of the scenes in this great video are etched in my Syracuse fan memory. The one thing that the video didn't capture was Derrick Coleman chanting to the crowd, JR Who, JR Who, JR Who over and over again until everyone was in a frenzy.

As Syracuse fans we could not get enough of our Orangemen. Just look at JB's face and the faces of the players, it just makes you happy all over again.

Finally!!

PS: Check out the sign DC rips up at the end

On March 21, 1987 Syracuse faced the favored North Carolina Tar Heels in the Meadowlands. Led by Ron Seikaly's 26 points, Derrick Coleman's 14 rebounds and Sherman Douglas' 9 assists the Orangemen defeated the kings of the vaunted ACC 79-75 to advance SU to the Final Four in New Orleans.

On that date I had a softball meeting at O' Leary's bar on Burnet Av. Our team stayed to watch the game in what was a packed house. Bill DeMarle of the 1975 Final Four team sat next to me as we high fived throughout the contest. It was the most fun I had ever had watching a Syracuse game in a setting like that.

Later that evening, caught up in the excitement, I along with thousands of other fans headed out to Hancock Airport to greet the team. Cars were lined up on both sides of the entrance road. I forged my way into the lobby, right up front near the podium. Many of the scenes in this great video are etched in my Syracuse fan memory. The one thing that the video didn't capture was Derrick Coleman chanting to the crowd, JR Who, JR Who, JR Who over and over again until everyone was in a frenzy.

As Syracuse fans we could not get enough of our Orangemen. Just look at JB's face and the faces of the players, it just makes you happy all over again.

Finally!!

PS: Check out the sign DC rips up at the end
I was there for the weekend. The block on Schintius (RIP) (spelling?) was amazing.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Eat This Dick
(Vitale)

somethings never change. great sign.

Still remember listening to that game on the radio. It opened at a frantic pace.

Thanks for this! I've never seen it. It was the first SU game I ever watched. I've told this story. Moved to Syracuse in 1984 from North Carolina. Tuned in the game out of curiosity, expecting NC to win. Cuse's win was so exciting I became a fan from then on. Over time I progressed from "fan" to "super fan" to "bat crazy fan" to whatever it is I am now. I like to think that I have transcended time and space, occupying a bizarro, phantasmagorical orange-y 13th dimension not yet discovered by string theory but which many people on this forum would simply call "home."

Thanks for this! I've never seen it. It was the first SU game I ever watched. I've told this story. Moved to Syracuse in 1984 from North Carolina. Tuned in the game out of curiosity, expecting NC to win. Cuse's win was so exciting I became a fan from then on. Over time I progressed from "fan" to "super fan" to "bat crazy fan" to whatever it is I am now. I like to think that I have transcended time and space, occupying a bizarro, phantasmagorical orange-y 13th dimension not yet discovered by string theory but which many people on this forum would simply call "home."

Very nice.

I can't imagine how those players would feel watching this video after all these years. Well, I guess I know how DC would react.

Great. Thanks for posting. I was at that game, sitting a few rows back behind one of the baskets. We stood on our seats virtually the entire game.

Ohh the 80's...if only I could have been older at the time to have better appreciated that decade.