One Pet Peeve that the committee does every year | Syracusefan.com

One Pet Peeve that the committee does every year

Marsh01

Living Legend
Putting mid major teams against mid major teams. Drives me crazy. New Mexico vs. Long Beach State. VSU vs. Wichita State, Every year they pull this crap and I wish they would stop.

Putting mid major teams against mid major teams. Drives me crazy. New Mexico vs. Long Beach State. VSU vs. Wichita State, Every year they pull this crap and I wish they would stop.

Yeah, it makes an upset much less exciting if one mid-major beats another.

Well for one it ensures that one of them will make the 2nd round and hence have a greater chance of reaching the S16 to get matched up against a national powerhouse

Yeah, it makes an upset much less exciting if one mid-major beats another.

I honestly think they do it so more mid-majors advance.

Funny those are the 5 vs. 12 games though. Usually those games bring upsets so it's almost like the committee would rather not send a team from the Big East, Big 10 or ACC there.

Honestly I doubt they want what happened last year with VCU and Butler; one run to the Elite 8 is nice, but having 2 in the Final Four isn't appealing.

they should take all the mids, toss them in dayton and let them have their own nice little tourny. it would be nice and cute, they could crown a champion, give em parade...who gives a shlit. but more importantly...it would keep them the F out of the way of real, bigboy hoop.

if i have to sit through another final 4 of butler-esque or vcu-esque teams or even worse...when the 2 shitty programs play each other for the right to get pounded by a lousy storz team...i will be done with this godddamn tourny.

Oh Lord

they should take all the mids, toss them in dayton and let them have their own nice little tourny. it would be nice and cute, they could crown a champion, give em parade...who gives a shlit. but more importantly...it would keep them the F out of the way of real, bigboy hoop.

if i have to sit through another final 4 of butler-esque or vcu-esque teams or even worse...when the 2 shitty programs play each other for the right to get pounded by a lousy storz team...i will be done with this godddamn tourny.

Oh Lord

lol. Yeah let's keep them out of the field of 68. It's getting tiresome watching them beat the big boys.

lol. Yeah let's keep them out of the field of 68. It's getting tiresome watching them beat the big boys.
yep, it sucks. makes for lousy basketball later in the tourny.

screw the mids.

We are so much better than all mids. They with their lightly recruited players and can-do attitudes. They have no right being in this tourny...ever.

I keep hearing about these "mid majors." Who are the "low majors?" And why does no one every talk about them?

I keep hearing about these "mid majors." Who are the "low majors?" And why does no one every talk about them?

I think its Rutgers.....and would you talk about them?

My pet peeve is giving lower ranked teams home court.

HOW does someone not catch that WVU is playing in Pittsburgh vs Gonzaga as a lower seed? Congrats on your better season, Gonzaga, now fly across the country and play West Virginia.

My peeve is higher-ranked teams playing on short rest. Call me old-fashioned, but if #1 Syracuse is playing at 3 in the afternoon, #8 Kansas State should be playing after that, not before.

Getting stuck in a game that ended after midnight last year while Marquette was already back at the hotel was an abomination; this year is better, but not by much.

My peeve is higher-ranked teams playing on short rest. Call me old-fashioned, but if #1 Syracuse is playing at 3 in the afternoon, #8 Kansas State should be playing after that, not before.

Getting stuck in a game that ended after midnight last year while Marquette was already back at the hotel was an abomination; this year is better, but not by much.
Really? They play 2hrs before us and its noon, not 7pm. Not to mention we both have Friday off. What's the problem?

Yes, to hear some people describe it, there are only majors and mid majors. makes no sense.

Really? They play 2hrs before us and its noon, not 7pm. Not to mention we both have Friday off. What's the problem?

Maybe it's immaterial, but the higher-ranked team should have more rest than the underdog opponent. It should be one of the advantages that comes with the good seed.

Maybe it's immaterial, but the higher-ranked team should have more rest than the underdog opponent. It should be one of the advantages that comes with the good seed.
Noon games are tough. And you'd have a point if it was like a 6hr difference and we had to play them the next day. I don't think it's a huge deal.

Noon games are tough. And you'd have a point if it was like a 6hr difference and we had to play them the next day. I don't think it's a huge deal.

You're right, noon games aren't ideal. And even if we played early, the team would just be spending the extra three hours napping in some hotel in Pittsburgh.

I guess it's just the principle that the better seed should get an advantage. I think the time thing was a disadvantage last year; you're probably right that it's (at worst) a wash this time around.

Sounds more like an excuse than an advantage. Three hours more time when you are talking a rest period of at least 45 hours to as much as 50+, if we were to get put into a later game seems insignificant.

One of the fellow posters from a general college board I used to post on, hated this as well. I told him the no-conference matchups until the elite eight make it difficult to avoid this. Sometimes you just need to move teams on the line to make it work. It must also be noted that if you don't put non-BCS in the top four seed lines, and have four more non-BCS at larges in 2012 vs 2011, its hard to avoid alot of these matchups.

Given that both my predicted bracket and the NCAA bracket had no non-BCS as top 4 seeds, and I had no bias in determining matchups (nor made any attempt to avoid or create such matchups), I decided to compare how many I had vs the commitee:

I had 8 such games projected:

7 St Mary's vs 10 Harvard
6 Memphis vs NC St/Drexel Play in Winner
8 Gonzaga vs 9 San Diego St
6 Creighton vs 11 VCU
5 Wichita St vs 12 Xavier
6 UNLV vs 11 Southern Miss
5 New Mexico vs 12 Long Beach St
6 Murray St vs 11 BYU

In prior years it may have been easier to try to avoid or create as there was less teams. But they make up the majority of teams between 5-12.

I honestly think they do it so more mid-majors advance.

Ask mid-major fans and they say they do it to ensure that major schools advance. Not that I agree. But the general basketball forum I used to spend time on has a very active A-10 board. Good guys, know their stuff, but ridiculously insecure and nuts when it comes to these type of things. They actually beleive that the NCAA does this so the BCS can have more teams in the second round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom