one thing about our long season winning streak

dasher

Living Legend
Since we last had a losing season, Kentucky has had 2 and 2 more .500 seasons
North Carolina has had 2 losing seasons
Duke has had 6 losing seasons
Kansas has had 4 losing seasons
Uconn has had 11 losing seasons.

That really is something to be proud of.

IMO, this might be THE most impressive stats of JB's HOF career - 45 seasons without a losing season.
Incredible.

Cue the boo birds!!! I agree. People don't give JAB enough credit for this.

Seriously. All programs have down periods, where the raw talent coming in isn't so dominating as in other years. But Jim Boeheim is such an incredible Teacher of Basketball, even in his down years--like the last few--he produces a team by the end of the season that is competitive with the more talented/experienced teams he faces.

This is one of Boeheim's Down Years (no 5-stars/MDAA's) and we may nevertheless be good enough right now to GUARANTEE ourselves an NCAA invite with a couple of wins (IMO doable, cuz the way we've played defense the last couple of games vs good competition)

This ability he's had to produce competitive teams no matter what kind of talent he has to work with has always been a major indicator of his stellar coaching abilities. It's why he's achieved more with second-tier talent than most of his coaching rivals. He's totally awesome in that regard.

And yet, it seems his legion of arm-chair genius critics can't help themselves, prematurely heaping invective on him at any excuse throughout the season cuz they just can't hold back and wait until the end of the season to unload on him. (face palm)

Here's hoping Jim's able to serve up a huge helping of Crow for his critics to feast on once again this year with another sensational finish to the season...

Cue the boo birds!!! I agree. People don't give JAB enough credit for this.
Of course they will point to the NYS portion of the yealy schedule. However, in 41 seasons of conference play, JB has had ONLY 3 losing seasons and 6 .500 seaons. (by my count) That's a 573 winng percentage.

Of course they will point to the NYS portion of the yealy schedule. However, in 41 seasons of conference play, JB has had ONLY 3 losing seasons and 6 .500 seaons. (by my count) That's a 573 winng percentage.
.500 conference seasons
1981-1982
1996-1997
2007-2008
2014-2015
2015-2016
2019-2020

<.500 seasons
2017-2018
2006-2006
1980-1981

That 4 of the 9 instances in JB’s entire career in the last 7 years.
The frustration is the last 7 years we are 65-61 in conference games.
Our nonconference record in that same stretch is 60-24.
8-21 against P6(SEC, B1G, BE, PAC-12, B12) teams.
52-3 against non P6 nonconference teams.

People aren’t frustrated for any other reason.

much deeper league. much harder travel, team not as good. It is the longest blip of his career by far a run of mostly the last 6-7 yrs of avg league play. Also probably the longest run of not very good center play.

much deeper league. much harder travel, team not as good. It is the longest blip of his career by far a run of mostly the last 6-7 yrs of avg league play. Also probably the longest run of not very good center play.
Bs, the Big East top to bottom was at minimum the same but probably stronger year after year than the ACC has been since we arrived.

Bs, the Big East top to bottom was at minimum the same but probably stronger year after year than the ACC has been since we arrived.
there were power years for sure in the BE.. but when you add a few more teams and travel much further to get there it adds up to more depth.

It's a heck of an accomplishment and says a lot of about how seriously JAB takes winning as well as his longevity at one school.

I don't think comparisons to other programs really are as illutrative though, because they've all been through coaching changes that left them with a couple of losing seasons here and there. SU hasn't had to manage that problem in 46 seasons.

there were power years for sure in the BE.. but when you add a few more teams and travel much further to get there it adds up to more depth.
2005-2013 BE was way deeper than the 2014-2021 ACC.

The top of the ACC was better but the middle is weaker.
UVA, Duke, UNC better than the BE and we traveled while in the Big East from Milwaukee down to Tampa with Chicago to Cincinnati as well.

I think you’re misremembering. Traveling to North Carolina a day before a game on a chartered flight isn’t a big deal, you’re reaching really far to prove a point that isn’t right.

It's a heck of an accomplishment and says a lot of about how seriously JAB takes winning as well as his longevity at one school.

I don't think comparisons to other programs really are as illutrative though, because they've all been through coaching changes that left them with a couple of losing seasons here and there. SU hasn't had to manage that problem in 46 seasons.

Ol Cryin Roy took the L’s for UNC.

What coaching changes has Dook been thru?

Other than those times when coach J’s back has an owie? :p

An incredible accomplishment and I don't care what people say about the nonconference schedule

EVERY coach can and does stack the OOC schedule with mostly cupcakes.

This is not somehow a uniquely Syracuse and/or JAB thing.

And in spite of that - every OTHER coach not named JB has taken a losing season much more recently than he has.

Nobody has ever denied that this streak is supremely impressive and it is something we have taken for granted. I just hope JB realizes that flirting with .500 and the bubble every year is putting this streak in serious jeopardy. Would suck if he ended his career with a losing season because of an injury, unexpected transfer, etc. There is a razor thin margin between below and above 500 these days given the ever-increasing parity.

He has out coached his talent many years to keep it alive.. Even if we had better talent its not a given we get many more FFs out of it or the streak would have survived.

I didn't realize how far K and JAB are ahead of other single school coaches. Consider only the P5 teams and it's not even close.
1615229220430.png

he is almost double every P5 school, thats just crazy. Hard to believe only 4 P5 coaches have been around 20 yrs..

Nobody has ever denied that this streak is supremely impressive and it is something we have taken for granted. I just hope JB realizes that flirting with .500 and the bubble every year is putting this streak in serious jeopardy. Would suck if he ended his career with a losing season because of an injury, unexpected transfer, etc. There is a razor thin margin between below and above 500 these days given the ever-increasing parity.
Hopefully due for an injury/illness free year. Seems like it's been awhile.

Not to be a party pooper on this one, but, the converse of this is "since SU's (only)
national championship, those five schools listed have won TEN of them, led by UNC
and UConn each winning three." While I don't need SU to emulate the recent Boston
Red Sox who go first to last to first to last to first, I think a lot of fans could handle a
losing season here or there if you're looking at multiple titles. I think I'd almost take
UConn's recent misery to be able to casually mention "yeah, how do those four titles
since 99 look?"

Great winning seasons are fun; simply continuing a streak with a mediocre 18-14 is
blah. Doesn't do it for me.

Kev

Not to be a party pooper on this one, but, the converse of this is "since SU's (only)
national championship, those five schools listed have won TEN of them, led by UNC
and UConn each winning three." While I don't need SU to emulate the recent Boston
Red Sox who go first to last to first to last to first, I think a lot of fans could handle a
losing season here or there if you're looking at multiple titles. I think I'd almost take
UConn's recent misery to be able to casually mention "yeah, how do those four titles
since 99 look?"

Great winning seasons are fun; simply continuing a streak with a mediocre 18-14 is
blah. Doesn't do it for me.

Kev

One championship changes everything imo. If we didn’t have that, 18-14 seasons would be yearly gut punches. not to say that it’s ok or not annoying.

and yeah 4 titles would be better than one, but one is better than zero and the distance between the zero and one Vs one and four is miles and miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom