One thing most here would agree | Syracusefan.com

One thing most here would agree

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
A change is needed at Sp teams coach. I honestly cant remember the last time we blocked a punt. our coverage sucks our returns minus w va suck

A change is needed at Sp teams coach. I honestly cant remember the last time we blocked a punt. our coverage sucks our returns minus w va suck
I pine for the days when Turner and Johnson were returning kicks. And to go further back, having lunatics covering kicks like Jim Gorzalski was awesome to watch.

spotwood another point we gained a total of 4 yards on 40 punt returns this year......and were not going after the punter.

this ruins the mac argument-

he had good special teams unlike this clown show we watch week in week out

I think it's worth noting that Cincy uses their starting TB (Pead) on punt returns.

spotwood another point we gained a total of 4 yards on 40 punt returns this year......and were not going after the punter.

In two years worth of home games, I've seen SU rush the punters three times. All three ended up in a roughing the kicker penalty. That's why we don't go after them.

i'm pretty sure we had a renowned ST coach in Casullo for two years and specials were terrible under him to. Maybe it's not so much the coaches as it is the players on the field?

Seeing that we don't have a special teams coach, I would say thats a pretty good idea. Seriously, how can one whole phase of your football team not have a dedicated coach? Somebody explain this to me.

HCDM, PLEASE HIRE A SPECIAL TEAMS COACH!!! I'm going to keep begging every week until he does.

My observations:
Cincy's kickers (punter & kick-off) were pretty good -- somewhat better than the SU kickers.
Cincy's blocking teams for returns were clearly better than SU's counterparts. Their return guys had some space to work with; our return guys were blanketed by defenders.
Cincy's coverage teams were clearly better than SU's counterparts.
You can blame this on special teams' coaching if you want.
But Cincy has better athletes on its specials. I know some would like an easy answer (blame Marrone for dividing the coaching); the real solution is better recruiting for the units that build your specials (a spare RB or two; safeties; TEs, LBs).

Its amazing how much the the loss of Rob Long hurt us

I think its more basic than that. We really don't do a good job on coverage. Period. Sure, we haven't really come close to blocking a punt and its been even longer since we came close to blocking a FG/XP. Kick coverage is executed by proper open-field tackling and a basic understanding of how to shed a tackle, cover your assigned lane and get the guy down.

A guy like Rob Long helps, and good kick returners can make an exciting play now and then, but good teams have good players making great plays on Special teams with things like tackling & blocking. Its Football 101 and that is where we are lacking right now as a team.

Can the new coach punt and KO?

Maybe we can hire Rob Long???

i'm pretty sure we had a renowned ST coach in Casullo for two years and specials were terrible under him to. Maybe it's not so much the coaches as it is the players on the field?

Hey!

How bout that observation?!

Maybe the loss of Rob Long has something to do with our poor punting and KOs

Can the new coach punt and KO?

Maybe we can hire Rob Long???

No...but maybe they can get us beyond the 24-yard
Ine and the opponent so often across the 40?

Just asking.

In Coach P's era we liberally used starters on special teams. Probably a reason why they were so good.

Do we do that now?

Special teams shouldn't be a home for 3rd stringers and walk-on's. With our lack of athleticism, our best athletes should be on this squad.

I can't remember the last time we even tried to block a punt. I also can't remember the last time Kobena eluded one tackler on a return.

Isn't the job of a coach to get someone who can punt and KO?

Well, you can't exect a freshman to come in and do those things! They need years in the weightroom, and several spring and fall practices to learn the system, etc! We play in a climate controlled environment, what kicker would ever want to come here anyway?!

Actually the coverage teams were terrible. Long and the kickers were actually pretty successful. The athletes on the coverage teams were really bad. I personally feel Casullo brought something that is missing this year, fire and passion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom