One's not supposed to "congratulate" a woman on a marriage..... | Syracusefan.com

One's not supposed to "congratulate" a woman on a marriage.....

cto

Administrator
... but not knowing what else to say... I say Mazel Tov to Beth Long (long time poster here beginning when this board started 13 years ago) on her marriage yesterday!

Beth was one of the originals here ... beginning when she was 16 years old and a high school junior. We read with interest her posts while she was a student at SU, during her fascinating career with various NFL teams and then her law school adventures. And yesterday, she was a beautiful bride.

i went to High School with a Beth Long, is she roughly 28? perhaps from Baldwinsville?

i went to High School with a Beth Long, is she roughly 28? perhaps from Baldwinsville?

Yes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

... but not knowing what else to say... I say Congratulations to Beth Long (long time poster here beginning when this board started 13 years ago) on her marriage yesterday!

Beth was one of the originals here ... beginning when she was 16 years old and a high school junior. We read with interest her posts while she was a student at SU, during her fascinating career with various NFL teams and then her law school adventures. And yesterday, she was a beautiful bride.

Not knowing what else to say, I'll just say Mazel Tov.
Awesome! Mazel Tov Beth!

What was/is her board name?

... but not knowing what else to say... I say Congratulations to Beth Long (long time poster here beginning when this board started 13 years ago) on her marriage yesterday!

Not knowing what else to say, I'll just say Mazel Tov.
Is this her that works for Fox sports. Or is she an attorney. If it is her, I've been following her on twitter not realizing it was her. Either way, congrats.

Beth Long

@Beth_Long

I'm your girl for B1G coverage & Midwest FB recruiting on @foxsportsnext. Former D1 runner/swimmer. Eventual triathlete. Coach. Syracuse & Gardner-Webb grad.
Chicago · http://www.foxsportsnext.com

Is this her that works for Fox sports. Or is she an attorney. If it is her, I've been following her on twitter not realizing it was her. Either way, congrats.

Beth Long

@Beth_Long

I'm your girl for B1G coverage & Midwest FB recruiting on @foxsportsnext. Former D1 runner/swimmer. Eventual triathlete. Coach. Syracuse & Gardner-Webb grad.
Chicago · http://www.foxsportsnext.com

different one.

wait, why am i not supposed to congratulate a woman on a marriage?

and then why am i supposed to congratulate a woman on an engagement?

I second the request for answers to these questions.

I'm a no class beat down fool, no doubt, but this etiquette is new to me.

Supposedly, congratulating her implies that she is lucky to have found a man willing to have her. So, save your bridal congratulations for appropriate circumstances.

Supposedly, congratulating her implies that she is lucky to have found a man willing to have her. So, save your bridal congratulations for appropriate circumstances.
Yeah, and...;)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I second the request for answers to these questions.

I'm a no class beat down fool, no doubt, but this etiquette is new to me.
It's not new etiquette. It is traditional etiquette ... going back perhaps to Victorian times. It was considered proper to congratulate a man (the guy who finds a woman, gets her to accept his proposal and weds her). The woman, who was assumed to be a shy, innocent virgin with a certain sense of decorum, was deemed not to have done anything worthy of congratulations.

BTW, I am serious about this. I was taught a long time ago (by a Social Register type for whom I worked) that it was not proper to congratulate a woman upon becoming engaged or married.

well this is a first...no bikini pictures after the first 10 posts. the basketball sucks;)

congrats kid

It's not new etiquette. It is traditional etiquette ... going back perhaps to Victorian times. It was considered proper to congratulate a man (the guy who finds a woman, gets her to accept his proposal and weds her). The woman, who was assumed to be a shy, innocent virgin with a certain sense of decorum, was deemed not to have done anything worthy of congratulations.

BTW, I am serious about this. I was taught a long time ago (by a Social Register type for whom I worked) that it was not proper to congratulate a woman upon becoming engaged or married.

yes...and they did not have the internet back then:noidea:

There is a lot of etiquette that's not new but new to me, given that whole no class beat down fool thing. Thanks for informing some of us.

Interesting, this shows the Syracusefan board is a small world. You/she probably went to school with one or both of my cousins, who are both in their mid/late 20s and went to BVille.

And congrats but not really since I'm all about etiquette to Beth! I remember her posts way back in the day.

Hmm .. when my wife and I announced we had gotten married to my co-workers, they offered their condolences to her ..

Interesting, this shows the Syracusefan board is a small world. You/she probably went to school with one or both of my cousins, who are both in their mid/late 20s and went to BVille.

And congrats but not really since I'm all about etiquette to Beth! I remember her posts way back in the day.
What year did they graduate? I am 02.

Beth Anne.

Wasn't she a stat girl for a time?
I just remember that one stat girl everyone went nuts over, and then some of the students came on and said they knew her and that she, and I quote, "liked to party," whatever that means.

"Best wishes!" to the bride. "Congratulations!" to the groom.

Beth Anne.

Wasn't she a stat girl for a time?
She was.

I think her handle was something along the line of cantaffordaford...

She was.

I think her handle was something along the line of cantaffordaford...
cantafford was her email address. Beth Anne was her screen name.