Orangebloods (UNIV TX) and all the chatter about Expansion | Syracusefan.com

Orangebloods (UNIV TX) and all the chatter about Expansion

arbitragegls

All Conference
...this is a reasonable article to read as it covers both sides of realignment...going to happen-- well it isnt going to happen (some would say Chip Brown writer is Dodds' mouthpiece--Dodds is Athletic Director of TX).
What is interesting as I noted in an earlier thread, there is not one main stream pundit, reporter, sports anchor writing and/or speaking about realignment at this time--aside from agreeing there is lots of chatter out of Swaim, Dude, MHVer3 etc. My source is closed mouth on this and I believe that is because there is nothing to say; however, I am eager to hear something from the ACC offices about the TV renegotiation with ESPN; what is happening with Notre Dame; and what is the expectation for not only a new revenue share plan but also the TV/digital network (albeit the digital network is in place and actually quite good (that has been discussed previously).

It should be noted that the Big 12 is having meetings Monday and Tuesday this coming week and that expansion is on the agenda. A few interesting comments from this article:
  • Multiple sources in the Big 12 told Orangebloods.com on Wednesday the Big Ten has tried to gauge the interest of Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Virginia about possibly joining Maryland in the Big Ten. But the sources said those schools have indicated to the Big Ten thanks but no thanks - for now.
  • "We may decide 10 is the best option no matter what. But I think we have to talk about every possible scenario as a league."(Blowsby-Big 12 Conference)
    That sentiment was shared by three other officials at different Big 12 schools Wednesday.
    Those sources said it's doubtful the Big 12 reaches a decision to take action on expansion in the meetings in Dallas. But contingency plans could certainly be made.
  • Texas athletic director Deloss Dodds and football coach Mack Brown have been outspoken that an upset in a football title game could derail a national title bid by the conference.
Once again, there is lots of chatter seemingly coming from the WVU side and/or affiliates that want the ACC to be hit hard...no fury like a scorned university...so I am sure all of us will be paying close attention over the next week and beyond. ALSO NOTE THAT IN ORDER FOR A TEAM AND CONFERENCE TO ENTER THE '14 SEASON (first of the new BCS Bowl regimen) movement most likely has to take place soon.
Hope this helps and keeps us from that ledge...Go 'Cuse!

http://texas./content.asp?CID=1463673

I gotta figure WVU is pushing for Cincy...and I really think USF or UCF makes sense for the B12. I doubt they go that way right away...like a opportunitist they'll wait and see if the SEC or B1G moves. I think it is pretty obvious that the B12 can't move on ACC teams. Maybe a couple Million difference in revenue amounts to squat.

The map showing B12 schools shows you all you need to know.

Here's a dumb question...

Based on the geography of that map, academics aside, why doesn't the ACC pursue WVU as the 15th school (or 16th if you count ND)? I understand the Grant of Rights, but if other conferences feel that they can pursue Big12 schools in spite of such an agreement why wouldn't the ACC do the same?

...this is a reasonable article to read as it covers both sides of realignment...going to happen-- well it isnt going to happen (some would say Chip Brown writer is Dodds' mouthpiece--Dodds is Athletic Director of TX).
What is interesting as I noted in an earlier thread, there is not one main stream pundit, reporter, sports anchor writing and/or speaking about realignment at this time--aside from agreeing there is lots of chatter out of Swaim, Dude, MHVer3 etc. My source is closed mouth on this and I believe that is because there is nothing to say; however, I am eager to hear something from the ACC offices about the TV renegotiation with ESPN; what is happening with Notre Dame; and what is the expectation for not only a new revenue share plan but also the TV/digital network (albeit the digital network is in place and actually quite good (that has been discussed previously).

It should be noted that the Big 12 is having meetings Monday and Tuesday this coming week and that expansion is on the agenda. A few interesting comments from this article:
  • Multiple sources in the Big 12 told Orangebloods.com on Wednesday the Big Ten has tried to gauge the interest of Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Virginia about possibly joining Maryland in the Big Ten. But the sources said those schools have indicated to the Big Ten thanks but no thanks - for now.
  • "We may decide 10 is the best option no matter what. But I think we have to talk about every possible scenario as a league."(Blowsby-Big 12 Conference)
    That sentiment was shared by three other officials at different Big 12 schools Wednesday.
    Those sources said it's doubtful the Big 12 reaches a decision to take action on expansion in the meetings in Dallas. But contingency plans could certainly be made.
  • Texas athletic director Deloss Dodds and football coach Mack Brown have been outspoken that an upset in a football title game could derail a national title bid by the conference.
Once again, there is lots of chatter seemingly coming from the WVU side and/or affiliates that want the ACC to be hit hard...no fury like a scorned university...so I am sure all of us will be paying close attention over the next week and beyond. ALSO NOTE THAT IN ORDER FOR A TEAM AND CONFERENCE TO ENTER THE '14 SEASON (first of the new BCS Bowl regimen) movement most likely has to take place soon.

http://texas. /content.asp?CID=1463673

Looks like he's back on the Florida State kick. The Big XII needs to change its targets. They don't have the gap in resources to lure any ACC schools at this point. It's also interesting that Texas is worried about losing the Conference Championship game. With playoffs coming, everyone will have to win the national championship on the field rather than in the polls going forward. That should include the conference championship game.

I hope he is correct in that Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech told the Big Ten to go away. Hopefully Maryland will end up paying the full exit fee from the ACC. I'm not sure I believe that Florida State reached out to the Big Ten Conference. But rumors are flying.

Thanks, arb. Commissioner's name above - Freudian slip? ;)

Based on the geography of that map, academics aside, why doesn't the ACC pursue WVU as the 15th school (or 16th if you count ND)? I understand the Grant of Rights, but if other conferences feel that they can pursue Big12 schools in spite of such an agreement why wouldn't the ACC do the same?
I know you said academics aside, but I thought academics was the only reason WVU was turned down.

After following the ACC closely for 35 years, the only time I've seen the ACC put academics aside was 2 months ago when the ACC invited Louisville.

WVU has tried a few times to join the ACC. They tried in 1953 and were turned down because the North and South Carolina schools thought Morgantown was too hard to get to. At that time air travel was not that common for college teams.

Lately it has been academics as well as the bad reputation of the gameday experience for visiting fans in Morgantown. I know for a fact that Virginia Tech does not miss playing WVU in football. I noticed though that VT went to Morgantown this season in basketball, so maybe their opinion is changing back toward playing WVU again.

Now that the ACC has broken the ice with Louisville, WVU should be considered again.

If I were running the league...I'd want to digest the current 3.5 new teams right now. I want an option to go to 16 if ND comes on full time. ND obviously would want a say...doubt they have any interest in sending their fans to Morgantown when Annapolis might be available as a FB only or TX as a full add.

The answer is in your paranthetical. Spot #15 will be reserved for whatever school will convince ND to go all-in for #16. Until the Irish are ready to commit (if ever), it would just be another mouth to feed. Unless they can get a bigger name/market than WVU or there is some other game-changing event.

Why introduce a cancerous program like WVU when it isn't necessary? LVille is such a better fit anyways. And if it comes down to WVU or UConn...I tell WVU to go pound coal.

http://texas. /content.asp?CID=1463673

That Mack Brown bit is stupid. Maybe the conference title game is what it takes for you to get a higher seed in the new playoff? It's short sighted and reflective of where things were, not where they are going. You want to play and beat the best teams in your conference, maybe more than once. And it should be noted - that's how it should work!

Thanks, Arb.

I think MB made the comment about the CCG during the BCS years and was not commenting on the new playoffs. The BCS was punitive of late season losses.

Thanks, Arb.

I think MB made the comment about the CCG during the BCS years and was not commenting on the new playoffs. The BCS was punitive of late season losses.

That's the only reasonable explanation.

WVU is an irrelevant university (#165 ranking) in an irrelevant state (1.8 million pop.)

Those are definitely drawbacks. The mitigating factors are that WVU has a top 40 Athletic Program. Their football program has tremendous support from that 1.8 million, and they travel well in support of their team. WVU is also geographically situated well within the ACC footprint, and they restore a natural rivalry with Pittsburgh.

But they do have drawbacks as you suggest.

Those are definitely drawbacks. The mitigating factors are that WVU has a top 40 Athletic Program. Their football program has tremendous support from that 1.8 million, and they travel well in support of their team. WVU is also geographically situated well within the ACC footprint, and they restore a natural rivalry with Pittsburgh.

But they do have drawbacks as you suggest.
Agreed...but I see the ACC no bigger than 16/17 hopefully. Love to see ND go full up. If they do in the next few years...make a play for Texas (test the GOR to see if it stands). If No, see if Navy FB only and Georgetown for all sports but Football would work.

No. If "we will add Navy if you join full-time" would work it would have already happened.

Agreed...but I see the ACC no bigger than 16/17 hopefully. Love to see ND go full up. If they do in the next few years...make a play for Texas (test the GOR to see if it stands). If No, see if Navy FB only and Georgetown for all sports but Football would work.

A very nice academic addition.
Notre Dame
Navy
Georgetown

So in the above, we brought the latest from OrangeBloods (TX and Chip Brown)...now lets take a look at FrankTheTANK considered one of the top mouth pieces for the B1G...interestingly, this blog is actually being more conservative than the OrangeBloods blog...this is another more balanced view of realignment and doesnt run amok with the B1G and Big 12 pulling the ACC apart. It is an interesting blog that offsets the mouth and hopes of Big 12: Dude, Swaim, MHVer3, and others...just maybe the quiet from my source and on most ACC boards is THAT THERE IS NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT AT THIS TIME.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom