Orangeman 1991 | Syracusefan.com

Orangeman 1991

MartyCuse

Starter
Just listening to Sirius radio and the question came up when was the last time the Florida gators played a BCS program Out of conference and out of state. The answer the host came up with was the Orange in 1991. They play Florida state almost every year and have played Miami and USF but nobody else. I know apples to oranges with our basketball schedule and never leaving the state until January but how about for two decades for the Florida football program. Just repeating what I heard on the radio and just like the Internet it is always true.
Go CUSE

Just listening to Sirius radio and the question came up when was the last time the Florida gators played a BCS program Out of conference and out of state. The answer the host came up with was the Orange in 1991. They play Florida state almost every year and have played Miami and USF but nobody else. I know apples to oranges with our basketball schedule and never leaving the state until January but how about for two decades for the Florida football program. Just repeating what I heard on the radio and just like the Internet it is always true.
Go CUSE

The story is that after we gave them that epic ass whoppin' Spurrier said he'd never travel north of the Mason-Dixon line to play an OOC opponent again.

By the way, I think Kirby Dar Dar just scored again. ;)

Our board (bored) historian, SWC, has brought it up on many occasions. ...but what a game!

I believe Florida was held to -17 rushing yards. I love that stat.

In fairness, they have two traditional in state rivals who are out of conference and also historically powerhouses, so of course they play them every year. You only have a few OOC games every year, and if you're already playing FSU and Miami, why would you add an additional big time program and not a couple cupcakes, since you play in the SEC and have a brutal schedule as is?

In fairness, they have two traditional in state rivals who are out of conference and also historically powerhouses, so of course they play them every year. You only have a few OOC games every year, and if you're already playing FSU and Miami, why would you add an additional big time program and not a couple cupcakes, since you play in the SEC and have a brutal schedule as is?

Florida and Miami have only played 3 regular season games in the past 25 years (2002, 2003, 2008). But I agree with your point that playing the SEC and Florida State is a guantlet.