Orangeyes Obituary | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Obituary

Thank you for posting that. I just found out and it is very sad. I never met Dan but we had some really nice coversations on here. He was a true friend to many people. My deepest condolences to his family and those who knew him.

Thanks JHJ, and geez, I'm touched to observe that in so many ways he was my kind of guy. I hope my own obit reads like that. One of the hard things about these message board things is that you often sense a connection but often don't get the privilege of meeting the man. There are a bunch here fit that bill as well. I mean, I know it's just a message board, but a good man is a good man, regardless, and he brought Orange fans closer together. The fact this was important enough for him tells you much about what you need to know about him. RIP Dan.

I have been reading Orangeyes article links for years. I did not know who Orangeyes was, but I always said to myself; I would have enjoyed meeting this person. Well, I didn't meet him, but he must have been one heck of a friend. I am praying now for Dan and his family. What an impact type guy he was. God bless him in heaven.

I was out of town in Atlanta this past week and didn't see this until today. The only contact I personally had with Dan was on here about a medical issue some time ago. We were both experiencing the same issue and he was informative and offered me some good advice and was very earnest in his concern. I know I will miss what Dan brought to this board and this online community. Reading the Orangeyes articles here has been a daily discipline for me for what seems like forever.

It's amazing how Dan touched so many people, many of whom he never met face to face or even exchanged a word with. His tireless effort to peruse the internet for stories of interest which were pertinent to Syracuse Athletics was nothing short of extraordinary with respect to both the number of articles he would mine and the diversity of the content. The common unifying theme was that it was about all things ORANGE and that few, if any, stories of any substantive merit would escape the keen "eye" of Orangeyes.

Dan's legacy on this board will without question resonate with most all of us here for many years to come. I know that for myself, Dan was an example of how a person can make a difference by selflessly giving of himself for the benefit of others. Somewhere along the path of life I was told that very thing is the definition of "Love". Giving of yourself for the benefit of others. Dan made it a personal discipline to cobble the articles together and take the time to post them to this forum and in doing so made it enjoyable for hundreds of us who would come here to get information and news about the program. For me, each day I took advantage of the service which was provided by Dan, I went about my day a little better informed and was able to get a pulse on the program in a way which I could not have done myself because I am so busy as soon as my day starts. Every time I clicked on an Orangeyes post I was in effect blessed with a little more time in my day because Dan had taken the time to do what I didn't have the time to do.

But perhaps the most valuable thing that I've been given by Dan is this:
The notion that each one of us can choose to make a message board, our work, our family, our community, and the world a better place for us having been around simply by doing things for the benefit of others rather than just ourselves. Look what an incredible mark Dan has left on so many people and on this forum. Imagine what the world would look like if we all just tried to be a little bit more like Orangeyes.

My condolences to his family and also my thanks for sharing Dan with all of us.

I look forward to hearing about the tremendous number of people who show up for his services tomorrow. I have to imagine there will be a strong show of support from the SU athletics department, and hopefully some of the athletes who were fortunate enough to meet Dan when he was in the hospital.