Orioles’s sale could change the competitive balance in AL | Syracusefan.com

Orioles’s sale could change the competitive balance in AL

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
From having one of the least wealthy owners to ownership wealth in the top 50% of MLB, spending to acquire and, more importantly, keep talent, the orioles should be in the WS hunt for the next 10 years. Less than a couple of championships in that span would be disappointing.
Couple that with, perhaps, the best GM in the game, and the dark days for O’s fans are over.

That news then the Burnes trade back to back was a helluva week.

That news then the Burnes trade back to back was a helluva week.
Burnes was a great move but watching an interview with him, it's pretty clear that it will most likely be a 1 year rental and that's fine even if it plays out that way but with the new ownership at least they might be in the game here if Burnes has a really good year. gets them in the game to make a run at the World Series this year. More importantly, hoping they can lock up Gunnar and Adley but this other catcher they have coming up is suppose to be fantastic as well. With Angelos I don't think they were going to be able to sign more than one of them if either long term and Holliday hasn't even hit the majors yet

I am a big DL Hall fan but not sold that he is a true starter at the major level. Probably a middle reliever or a closer.

Burnes was a great move but watching an interview with him, it's pretty clear that it will most likely be a 1 year rental and that's fine even if it plays out that way but with the new ownership at least they might be in the game here if Burnes has a really good year. gets them in the game to make a run at the World Series this year. More importantly, hoping they can lock up Gunnar and Adley but this other catcher they have coming up is suppose to be fantastic as well. With Angelos I don't think they were going to be able to sign more than one of them if either long term and Holliday hasn't even hit the majors yet

I am a big DL Hall fan but not sold that he is a true starter at the major level. Probably a middle reliever or a closer.
The long term signing of their own prospects is key. One story called it the greatest collection of farm system talent ever. (Pretty hyperbolic, but 6 guys in the top 100.).
I think they will move Basallo (the catcher) to 1b or DH. His defense is supposed to be subpar.
I think they lock up Rutschman, Henderson, Rodriquez, and Jackson with some longer term deals. Basallo, Mayo, Cowser, Kjerstad, Bradfield, Jr., Westburg, tbd.

Note: Saw that Ethan Holliday is projected as #1 pick in 2025.

The long term signing of their own prospects is key. One story called it the greatest collection of farm system talent ever. (Pretty hyperbolic, but 6 guys in the top 100.).
I think they will move Basallo (the catcher) to 1b or DH. His defense is supposed to be subpar.
I think they lock up Rutschman, Henderson, Rodriquez, and Jackson with some longer term deals. Basallo, Mayo, Cowser, Kjerstad, Bradfield, Jr., Westburg, tbd.

Note: Saw that Ethan Holliday is projected as #1 pick in 2025.
Wonder what the opening day line up looks like as far as infield. I think Holliday is up in the majors from game 1. That said, I think they start Westburg at 3b, Gunnar at SS and Holliday at 2nd Mounty/ O'Hearn at 1st. I guess you could go Gunnar at 3rd, Holliday at SS, Westburg at 2nd. Thye can probably trade Urias at this point for something

Not sure really but I have seen quite a few people predicting Holliday will play 2nd base this year. I just like Gunnar at SS

Wonder what the opening day line up looks like as far as infield. I think Holliday is up in the majors from game 1. That said, I think they start Westburg at 3b, Gunnar at SS and Holliday at 2nd Mounty/ O'Hearn at 1st. I guess you could go Gunnar at 3rd, Holliday at SS, Westburg at 2nd. Thye can probably trade Urias at this point for something

Not sure really but I have seen quite a few people predicting Holliday will play 2nd base this year. I just like Gunnar at SS
Golfed with a guy who knows the family (coaches D-2 in OK.) He thinks Holliday will outgrow the middle infield spots and wind up on a corner or in the outfield. Who knows? From decades of little talent or investment in the minors to an embarrassment of riches.

Golfed with a guy who knows the family (coaches D-2 in OK.) He thinks Holliday will outgrow the middle infield spots and wind up on a corner or in the outfield. Who knows? From decades of little talent or investment in the minors to an embarrassment of riches.
Listening to Elias last week, Sounds like they are going to give Holliday every opportunity in spring training to win the job and start at 2nd from day one of the regular season.

Line up

1 Gunnar SS
2 Adley C
3 Santander RF
4 O'Hearn DH
5 Hays LF
6 Mountcastle 1st
7 Mullins CF
8 Holliday 2B
9 Westburg 3B

Probably tweak the middle of the line up spots 4-6 I guess but that is what I am expecting on opening day. Mullins did hit lead off for some time as well but he's probably been replaced there

Last edited:
Listening to Elias last week, Sounds like they are going to give Holliday every opportunity in spring training to win the job and start at 2nd from day one of the regular season.

Line up

1 Gunnar SS
2 Adley C
3 Santander RF
4 O'Hearn DH
5 Hays LF
6 Mountcastle 1st
7 Mullins CF
8 Holliday 2B
9 Westburg 3B

Probably tweak the middle of the line up spots 4-6 I guess but that is what I am expecting on opening day. Mullins did hit lead off for some time as well but he's probably been replaced there
All depends on if it's a righty or lefty. Gunnar only leads off against righties. Usually ends up Adley or Hays if it's a lefty.

It’s interesting how the manager juggles the lineup, as well as the defense. Lots of guys play lots of places. IDK if that’s good, bad, or doesn’t matter.

It’s interesting how the manager juggles the lineup, as well as the defense. Lots of guys play lots of places. IDK if that’s good, bad, or doesn’t matter.

That's literally how the majority of major league baseball teams have played baseball the last 5 years. Its not exclusive to the Orioles, its a change across major league baseball. Lots of position and lineup versatility.

Analytics driven for lineups. Also driven by 13 man staffs at all times, and the desire by some teams to carry 3 catchers. And teams adding a few more extra rest days than before. That leaves short benches. Teams like their players to have more positional versatility than before for those reasons, because benches are shorter.

Like any philosophical shift across a sport, it looks better to fans when executed by more talented teams, and is criticized more by fans when executed by less talented teams. Shocking! Given that the Orioles are quite talented it should work out fine!

Last edited:
That's literally how the majority of major league baseball teams have played baseball the last 5 years. Its not exclusive to the Orioles, its a change across major league baseball. Lots of position and lineup versatility.

Analytics driven for lineups. Also driven by 13 man staffs at all times, and the desire by some teams to carry 3 catchers. And teams adding a few more extra rest days than before. That leaves short benches. Teams like their players to have more positional versatility than before for those reasons, because benches are shorter.

Like any philosophical shift across a sport, it looks better to fans when executed by more talented teams, and is criticized more by fans when executed by less talented teams. Shocking! Given that the Orioles are quite talented it should work out fine!
Thanks. Have not followed baseball as a whole as much as I once did. Age, other pursuits, and the Orioles stinking, have all contributed.