Oshae is Underrated | Syracusefan.com

Oshae is Underrated

Orangtiz

Starter
I think a lot of us thought he could play coming in, especially on offense. Well, he finally had a nice game on offense and made most of the shots he should make (i.e.: layups, free throws) and he dropped 17. Nice to see the production on O.

Where I have been most impressed is on defense and on the glass. He doesn't have many defensive lapses. He competes hard on the glass, and is so athletic he will win a lot of battles in the air. 14 rebounds out of him against Toledo was just huge.

Love what Oshae brings to the table, he really just needs to learn how to play within himself and become more consistent from 3. If he does that he is an NBA player.

Last edited:
From the get go, we could see he was good. He had the “it” factor. Didn’t seem like a freshman at all to me! He was a bright spot during the exhibition games, although I can’t remember what he produced. You could see right away that he was a player and was going to help us. I am happy for him - and for us!

Hope every player on this team ends up having been vastly underrated.

So far mostly they have. Frank and Chukwu for sure. So far I would say it's fair to assume they are approximately twice as good as people thought. Sidibe is far more capable than many estimated. He's already done a few things Xmas never did until his junior year. Marek is a totally different player than I thought he would be but he's really impressive. For the most part, when he touches the ball, good things happen and he is all over the place on defense.

Player roles weren't defined until well into the ACC season last year.

It took 3 games this year.
The chemistry is night and day better this year, so isn't the defense. We may struggle some in conference, but then again, we may be better than i thought we could ever be this year. Besides Battle (and Thorpe), everyone is back next year. Pretty exciting.

I think a lot of us though he could play coming in, especially on offense. Well, he finally had a nice game on offense and made most of the shots he should make (i.e.: layups, free throws) and he dropped 17. Nice to see the production on O.

Where I have been most impressed is on defense and on the glass. He doesn't have many defensive lapses. He competes hard on the glass, and is so athletic he will win a lot of battles in the air. 14 rebounds out of him against Toledo was just huge.

Love what Oshae brings to the table, he really jus needs to learn how to play within himself and become more consistent from 3. If he does that he is an NBA player.

Its obviously still early and all that, but Oshae and Dolezaj are two of the three best defesive frshman I have ever seen. The third was Brandon Triche who was a legacy guy that played highschool ball at JD which ran Boheime's 2-3 zone. So he had advantages these guys don't. Its really amazing how well they have played so quickly. Especially Dolezaj who got to school late.

I'm really looking forward to this team. But man I'd be lying if i'm already giddy at next year with Frank/Carey at the top - Bazley/Brissett/Chukwu on the backline. Doleazj, Hughes, MM and Sidibe off the bench.

The thought of that length of Baze/Oshae/PC in the back of the zone will be stuff of legends, especially if Bazley can pick up the zone quick

I really like what I have seen so far, I think the season will be a lot more satisfying for us as fans than I had originally anticipated. Likable team, good players, seem to play well together, but I am still taking a reserved approach on the ultimate results for the season.

With respect to players being underrated etc. As everyone seems to agree, we are seeing things out of guys that suggest a much, much higher ceiling than their rankings would have suggested. That said, we need to be careful in setting expectations for them too high for this season. Bottom line is that they are frosh, seeing things in fits and spurts suggests that they will be capable of doing those things consistently and consistently against good competition as they mature. It may not be fair to expect that this season.

For example, the offense we saw out of OB last night was fantastic - drives to the basket and outside shooting. Does that mean he's gotten himself going or that we should expect to see that regularly from this point forward? Or does it mean that is what he is capable of, but we'll probably see it inconsistently this season? I have also really liked what I've seen on offense from BS, although even more inconsistently! Tune in to find out...I am confident that the season will be more fun than I was originally expecting.

Kudos to the posters like Moqui who were high on this group before we ever saw them take the court.

Last edited:
Hard to believe the progress FH has made defensively. Having him and TB at the top of the zone harkens back to our defensive glory days a few years back with F8/FF teams. They'll be tested when we play UM and KU, for sure. But they're pinching at the top (preventing penetration) extremely well, closing out on shooters, getting deflections ... all the marks of our best defensive zones. Toledo is not a top 20 or offensively gifted like KU... but they threw a bunch of defenses against us and had a guard and 2 forwards with excellent size and sweet strokes from the perimeter (Sanford, Fletcher and Navigato, 6'4; 6'7; and 6'8). Either way, I agree with many above: 1) good chemistry; 2) three capable offensive players; 3) better than expected rebounding from thin/inexperienced forwards; 4) the team settled into defined roles very early; 5) much higher BB IQ than I expected; and 6) excellent interior length and rim protection. The key to this year is going to be whether we can develop some front court bench production ... MM and MD need to get their shots to start dropping so they can contribute offensively (they're doing everything else well).

Last edited:
I like our team.

Not only are a lot of these players under rated talent wise but everybody has nice chemistry and knows their role

That's more important.
Very, very impressed with OB. A couple of those drives to the hoop were eye-popping- he has a savvy about his game that belies his age. Not for nothing, and yes its still early, but I'm not one of those fans who spend their time waxing poetic about our future prospects for NEXT year.
Considering our great potential for success THIS year and with so many different things that can be accomplished, why look ahead to what COULD happen vs simply enjoying what IS happening?
The ACC is an absolute beast this year, so we're likely to take our lumps. But if we stay healthy and keep getting better, we should make the Dance. After that...all bets are off! LGO

Last edited:
One sequence from Oshae last night was eyepopping and literally is the perfect embodiment of who he is as a player.

Hustles to try to save the ball from going out of bounds under Toledo’s basket, literally falls into the advertisement board on the baseline under the basket. Then quickly gets to his feet, and FLIES down the court on defense and jumps into traffic to snag a defensive rebound that he just plucks from the Toledo guy. If I’m not mistaken he got whistled for a foul on that play which was complete BS.

I never took my eye off him when he dove/went after that ball on the baseline because I wanted to see if he’d hustle back on D. Boy did he ever?

His motor doesn’t stop. I’ve seen him dive on the floor for more 50/50 balls in five games this year than I saw the entire team do last year.

Absolutely LOVE this kid.

One sequence from Oshae last night was eyepopping and literally is the perfect embodiment of who he is as a player.

Hustles to try to save the ball from going out of bounds under Toledo’s basket, literally falls into the advertisement board on the baseline under the basket. Then quickly gets to his feet, and FLIES down the court on defense and jumps into traffic to snag a defensive rebound that he just plucks from the Toledo guy. If I’m not mistaken he got whistled for a foul on that play which was complete BS.

I never took my eye off him when he dove/went after that ball on the baseline because I wanted to see if he’d hustle back on D. Boy did he ever?

His motor doesn’t stop. I’ve seen him dive on the floor for more 50/50 balls in five games this year than I saw the entire team do last year.

Absolutely LOVE this kid.
That wasn't the only BS call. Officiating was bizarre last night. At least 3 of the 5 fouls called on Chukwu were complete fantasies.

If he starts consistently being our third competent scorer this may be a top 20 team

I like Oshaes game but he has some work to do on his outside and midrange game. In no way is he a one and done in my opinion. Some seem perplexed that he wasn’t a five star, my feeling is he is at least a four coming in ineatching him but doesn’t matter now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom