OT: Aaron Sorkin at SU commencement today.... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Aaron Sorkin at SU commencement today....

cto

Administrator
Aaron Sorkin delivered today one of the best commencement speeches I've ever heard (and, believe me, I've heard a lot of them). It was both serious and funny at the same time. And he took the occasion very seriously. When I briefly chatted with him at a reception last night, he was really nervous about it ... and anxious to rehearse it a few more times.

This transcription does not do it justice (because it loses how he delivered it), but I couldn't find a video clip that works.

http://www.syr.edu/news/articles/2012/sorkin-remarks-05-13.html

One comment deserves special recognition for the deep truth that he had the courage to tell the world in his address:

He said, “ You’re too good for gossip and snark, you’re too good for intolerance — and ... you’re too good to think people who disagree with you are your enemy. Unless they went to Georgetown, in which case, they can go to hell.”

Col. Bleep, you beat me to it with the Gtown quote...funny. But the beginning of this same paragraph is fantastic too:

"Don't ever forget that you're a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day. Civility, respect, kindness, character."

I love his ending to. Joyce, thanks for sharing. I agree, this sounds like an outstanding speech, even without hearing it. Guess I didn't even realize that Mr. Sorkin was from SU.

One comment deserves special recognition for the deep truth that he had the courage to tell the world in his address:

He said, “ You’re too good for gossip and snark, you’re too good for intolerance — and ... you’re too good to think people who disagree with you are your enemy. "
I hope he doesn't read the "Off Topic" board.

I was impressed by his honesty about his cocaine addiction (which I never knew about and suspect I'm not alone on that one). He acknowledged his fear that he couldn't write without it, and then listed all the honors he accrued after he went straight. Sounds like Kris Joseph and all the other graduates had a real treat (in the heat)!

Sorkin was tremendous. That far surpassed any expectations I had. Not sure if Joseph was there to enjoy it (can't say I blame him - looked like he was constantly badgered by well-wishers at the Falk School's graduation at Manley on Saturday). But everyone in attendance was really fortunate that Sorkin spoke. Well-thought, well-crafted, and well-delivered.

Awesome speech, Sorkin is a truly great writer...It would have cool if he delivered it while walking through hallways.
It took me a minute to get it.
I'm reminded of the hilarious MadTV (I think) parody on West Wing.
I agree about Sorkin's writing ability.

He said, “ You’re too good for gossip and snark, you’re too good for intolerance — and ... you’re too good to think people who disagree with you are your enemy. Unless they went to Georgetown, in which case, they can go to hell.”
Much as I love the Georgetown line, this is pretty rich coming from one who has called Sarah Palin an "idiot" a "witless bully" and "deranged", among other intolerant snark -- not much writing ability displayed here. I get it that this board mostly shares this view, but he'd have more credibility if he admitted his own failings when it comes to intolerance (like he did with the coke addiction).

Much as I love the Georgetown line, this is pretty rich coming from one who has called Sarah Palin an "idiot" a "witless bully" and "deranged", among other intolerant snark -- not much writing ability displayed here. I get it that this board mostly shares this view, but he'd have more credibility if he admitted his own failings when it comes to intolerance (like he did with the coke addiction).

Politics aside, I think it's fair to say that most of the world shares that view. If Palin played for Georgetown she'd be Patrick Ewing.

He really only meant that for non-liberals. That's understood.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

So great a writer that he decided to use something from off the shelf. If it ain't broke...
No problem using your own words or your own stories. It is plagiarism if you use someone else's words without attribution. As one who has given 100s of speeches, many of them on the same topic, I have done exactly the same thing. If you're taking about your life and your SU experience... you can't change the facts of your life or your SU experience.

Politics aside, I think it's fair to say that most of the world shares that view. If Palin played for Georgetown she'd be Patrick Ewing.
Why do you call Palin an idiot - because she has conservative views. Do you think Palin actually said something that was only said by a lefty Sat Night Live comedian? Not being able to discern reality meets my definition of idiot. For your information, Palin does not live on the coast. She does not even see ocean from her house.

WARNING: no more political posts or name-calling here. Take it to the Off-Topic board.

Young writer caught up in "gotcha" mentality. He'll do well. :(

Why do you call Palin an idiot - because she has conservative views. Do you think Palin actually said something that was only said by a lefty Sat Night Live comedian? Not being able to discern reality meets my definition of idiot. For your information, Palin does not live on the coast. She does not even see ocean from her house.
Your definition of idiot doesn't mean much to me. It has nothing to do with politics; she's not an intelligent woman.

CTO, just curious, who were the best SU Commencement speakers since you've been attending?

CTO, just curious, who were the best SU Commencement speakers since you've been attending?
Brian ... I've attended a lot of commencements -- at Syracuse, Columbia and USMA (West Point). Speakers have included Adlai Stevenson, George HW Bush, Colin Powell, General Schwarzkopf, Bill Clinton, Rudy G and a bunch of authors, broadcasters and "entertainers." Based on relevance to the audience, and relevance of the message, I would say Sorkin was the best. And the worst was surely Felicia Rashad -- who gave a soppy talk about Mother's Day. Oddly enough, my second favorite was the SU student who did the "penguin speech" a few years ago. It was very clever.

Brian ... I've attended a lot of commencements -- at Syracuse, Columbia and USMA (West Point). Speakers have included Adlai Stevenson, George HW Bush, Colin Powell, General Schwarzkopf, Bill Clinton, Rudy G and a bunch of authors, broadcasters and "entertainers." Based on relevance to the audience, and relevance of the message, I would say Sorkin was the best. And the worst was surely Felicia Rashad -- who gave a soppy talk about Mother's Day. Oddly enough, my second favorite was the SU student who did the "penguin speech" a few years ago. It was very clever.
Not only was she bad (I've heard that before you even mentioned it) she broke a pretty impressive streak of strong SU graduation speakers.

2004 — Phylicia Rashad - American Actress
2003 — Bill Clinton - Former President of the United States
2002 — Rudolph Giuliani - Former Mayor of New York City
2001 — Eileen Collins - NASA Astronaut
2000 — Ted Koppel - Anchor of ABC News Nightline
1999 — Charles E. Schumer - U.S. Senator from New York

As a graduate on Sunday, I thought Sorkin's speech was the only good part of the ceremony. The scholar's speech on the camera was full of social media cliches and after our own convocations on Saturday I was just ready to get it over with. Sorkin really captured everyone's attention and delivered a great speech. I don't care if the DO says he's done it before, I haven't heard it. Glad he kept it somewhat comical but was able to get some serious points across and I was very happy we were able to get him.

As a graduate on Sunday, I thought Sorkin's speech was the only good part of the ceremony. The scholar's speech on the camera was full of social media cliches and after our own convocations on Saturday I was just ready to get it over with. Sorkin really captured everyone's attention and delivered a great speech. I don't care if the DO says he's done it before, I haven't heard it. Glad he kept it somewhat comical but was able to get some serious points across and I was very happy we were able to get him.
NAOMI! That's really all I remember from graduation besides Sorkin's speech.

The penguin speech was 2007, the year that I graduated. We literally all thought they let some wacko drama student on stage who was having a mental breakdown.

It quickly turned into a funny, brilliant speech that grabbed the attention of everyone in attendance like few can do. That was a great speech.

Frank McCourt (author, not the former dodgers owner) followed her and even made a comment about how hard it would be to follow such a great speech by a student. No disrespect to Frank, but he wasn't even in the same hemisphere as that girl.