OT: african american coaches (NFL) | Syracusefan.com

OT: african american coaches (NFL)

SteveC

Starter
On CBS they just mentioned that the NFL is going to somehow change the rule that makes you have to interview an african american coaching candidate. Also said that the NFL is trying to get more African Americans into OC positions.

My problem with this is simple. If you're not good enough to be the head coach you are not going to be the head coach. no matter what color you are. Want to know why an african american wasn't hired as a head coach in this most recent round? Because the teams liked other coaches.

I'm sure racism exists in the NFL, however it has to be incredibly rare right? That's an honest question because i'm not up on this stuff. It's just odd to me that there is such an emphasis on color instead of skill.

Feel free to yell at me if i'm wrong haha.

On CBS they just mentioned that the NFL is going to somehow change the rule that makes you have to interview an african american coaching candidate. Also said that the NFL is trying to get more African Americans into OC positions.

My problem with this is simple. If you're not good enough to be the head coach you are not going to be the head coach. no matter what color you are. Want to know why an african american wasn't hired as a head coach in this most recent round? Because the teams liked other coaches.

I'm sure racism exists in the NFL, however it has to be incredibly rare right? That's an honest question because i'm not up on this stuff. It's just odd to me that there is such an emphasis on color instead of skill.

Feel free to yell at me if i'm wrong haha.

Norv Turner coached the Chargers for six years in spite of the fact he was destroying the team every single day with his idiocy. Skill clearly is not a requirement to be a head coach - so why all the white guys? :)

How many shitty white coaches have been recycled through the head coaching ranks while a good coach like Lovie Smith only gets interviewed to satisfy the Rooney Rule? How many black coaches have gotten second head coaching chances?

I think your doing what a lot of people who jump to the same conclusion have done, they are missing the point. This isn't meant to come off as a douche bag. The whole logic is similar to the "glass ceiling" idea. In the NFL you have a significant percentage of blacks employed all the way up and down the food chain, except at the head coaching position. It's about integrating the business (nfl) to best reflect the viewership, the players, and all other personal involved on an NFL team.

I never quite understood this until someone said to me a long time ago when discussing business, you can't have a business that sells/markets to a diverse population and has an employee pool that is also very diverse yet run by old white men. Your not keeping up with the times.

Let me ask you the opposite question, how would you feel if your kids went to an all white school (90% +) but all of the teachers were men from India? Would you ever once question why the school didn't hire any white teachers? Same concept, I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom