OT: Amazon Fire Stick | Syracusefan.com

OT: Amazon Fire Stick

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Greatest invention ever!

I have a Smart TV in the living room with a BluRay player and a Google Chromecast but the Firstick blows them all away.

Only $39, takes 2 minutes to set up and, though the list of apps are somewhat limited, I can get Netflix, HBOGo, Showtime Anytime and Watch ESPN. I have TW standard broadband and get HD streaming with virtually NO interuptions.

Highly recommended.

Haha you and I must have some similar devices. I used to love chromecast, haven't really used it since i got the FireStick a few weeks ago. A+

I still prefer my Roku 3 above all else, but we also have a Fire Stick in my son's play room so we can put Netflix on in there for him, and it's definitely pretty great.

How does it compare to chromecast or Apple TV? I have both and prefer Apple TV over chromecast.

How does it compare to chromecast or Apple TV? I have both and prefer Apple TV over chromecast.
It's probably more similar to Apple TV than the Chromecast.

I have the Amazon FireTV. I like, don't love it, but do like it.

Blows away the chromecast IMO and I have both. Don't need a separate device to broadcast from. Plugs into your HDMI port and you're good to go. No experience with Apple TV. Looks like the Fire TV box is no longer available. Since the stick is only $39 and looks to offer the same functionality.

I have a Roku stick and it seems to work pretty well. Between Antenna stations and Sling TV I can get most sporting events. Sometimes events are blacked out (Yankees game today on ESPN was blacked out), but its a pretty good deal for what I pay.

New Apple TV will be announced Wed. I'd bet it will be more expensive than the fire stick, but have more bells and whistles.

Consigliere said:
Blows away the chromecast IMO and I have both. Don't need a separate device to broadcast from. Plugs into your HDMI port and you're good to go. No experience with Apple TV. Looks like the Fire TV box is no longer available. Since the stick is only $39 and looks to offer the same functionality.

Do you need 2 HDMI ports? One for the fire stick and one for the cable box?

I actually just got one of these delivered on Friday. It's quality.

I think it's the only one that runs Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Do you need 2 HDMI ports? One for the fire stick and one for the cable box?
Yep. One of the sticks is about the size of a flash drive and plugs straight into one of the HDMI ports, so you'll have to have 2+ if you want to have HD cable as well.

I actually just got one of these delivered on Friday. It's quality.

I think it's the only one that runs Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Walmart didn't have the fire stick. I bought a Roku Stick. It has Netflix and Amazon Prime. I do like it much better than chromecast. I'm not sure if it's much different than Apple TV.

Walmart didn't have the fire stick. I bought a Roku Stick. It has Netflix and Amazon Prime. I do like it much better than chromecast. I'm not sure if it's much different than Apple TV.
Ah, good to know, thanks.

Greatest invention ever!

I have a Smart TV in the living room with a BluRay player and a Google Chromecast but the Firstick blows them all away.

Only $39, takes 2 minutes to set up and, though the list of apps are somewhat limited, I can get Netflix, HBOGo, Showtime Anytime and Watch ESPN. I have TW standard broadband and get HD streaming with virtually NO interuptions.

Highly recommended.
I assume that you have to have a subscription to HBO, or Showtime to get those channels, no?

I assume that you have to have a subscription to HBO, or Showtime to get those channels, no?

thats right. you have not stumbled upon the ultimate go around...

Yes, through your television provider although I believe HBO is launching (has launched) a stand alone subscription for cord cutters. And if you haven't tried the apps, they are the exact opposite of the ESPN3 app. You can see every episode from every original series along with 100s of movies, specials and sports events. Really solid value for binge watchers.

Greatest invention ever!

Highly recommended.

A more general question on the Fire stick for anyone who has it...have you loaded Kodi on it and if so, does it still work? I have a Roku but Plex sucks and I've heard that Kodi is much better. But I read somewhere that Amazon has cut off Kodi. Any info would be appreciated.

Roku Stick also has the WatchESPN app available to be installed from the channel store (free).

if you have a roku what do you need kodi for? what are trying to stream?

what about the time warner app? i have roku and it works fairly well. does amazon stick also provide this app? it removes the need for an additional cable box. just an fyi, but down in nyc, you cant just plug your tv into the wall and get basic cable. they want to charge you for an additional box or fee, which is quite pricey.