OT - An upside to all this mess... | Syracusefan.com

OT - An upside to all this mess...

Forza Azzurri

All American
Took the dog for a walk this afternoon...everywhere we went there were groups of kids playing just about everything under the sun...you just never see that anymore...

No $100 an hour trainers, no screaming parents, no driving to six games in four sports in three states in two days...just kids playing...on their own...

It was awesome to see...

Took the dog for a walk this afternoon...everywhere we went there were groups of kids playing just about everything under the sun...you just never see that anymore...

No $100 an hour trainers, no screaming parents, no driving to six games in four sports in three states in two days...just kids playing...on their own...

It was awesome to see...
Many years ago when I was working on my masters in education, I took a course called Play and Playfulness. It sounded like a simple course, easy A. But we learned about the importance of unstructured play time and its many benefits, as well as how it was/is disappearing. It is how kids learn to interact, problem solve, and learn how to get along on their own.
It is indeed too rare these days but it’s as important as ever. Good to hear about it happening, maybe a bit more because our current situation. Thanks for sharing.
(BTW the wife and I took our dogs for a nice long walk today also)

Last edited:
go outside and play with your friends timmy...and remember no touching!

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com//616fd178-6164-4360-95f0-41ef893c2c5a/doqrt5-828df917-79ab-4454-b74f-88e2ed7b9403.jpg/v1/fill/w_1240,h_1105,q_75,strp/bubble_boy_colored_by_alpisces.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpc3MiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwic3ViIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl0sIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiIvZi82MTZmZDE3OC02MTY0LTQzNjAtOTVmMC00MWVmODkzYzJjNWEvZG9xcnQ1LTgyOGRmOTE3LTc5YWItNDQ1NC1iNzRmLTg4ZTJlZDdiOTQwMy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI0MCIsImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTEwNSJ9XV19.Xkb1irDvpH3FsJiVQ1at40VT_QCyePm3l75A34Bd8F8

so you cancel school. what next ? kids stay home alone or go to daycare centers ? same germs.
parents stay home from work for a month ? you cancel school best to understand all the implications.

Last edited:
Many years ago when I was working on my masters in education, I took a course called Play and Playfulness. It sounded like a simple course, easy A. But we learned about the importance of unstructured play time and its many benefits, as well as how it was/is disappearing. It is how kids learn to interact, problem solve, and learn how to get along on their own.
It is indeed too rare these days but it’s as important as ever. Good to hear about it happening, maybe a bit more because our current situation. Thanks for sharing.
(BTW the wife and I took our dogs for a nice long walk today also)
For a long time now a friend of mine and I have been discussing how the structure of youth team sports has actually hurt the various sports and kids in general. When was the last time you saw kids play sandlot baseball? Or touch football in the street? We use to do it all the time. Now is league games or nothing.

I get Forza's point - in and of itself that is very refreshing.

But it's kind of bizarre that we're shutting schools down and canceling HS sports tournaments (I have no problem with either btw) but yet I go to the local HS for a run and I see the following: on one side of the field are kids playing soccer, then taking a break and congregating in very close proximity while looking at each other's phones. On the other side of the field they're playing lacrosse and doing the same thing. On my way out I pass a basketball court with a couple dozen kids shooting hoops. What's the point?

It seems like most of the closures were common sense oriented but also done for the avoidance of lawsuits. We need to go beyond half measures and do our best to stifle this thing asap.

Schools have a cafeteria, public bathrooms, lots of doorknobs, and hundreds of people in confined space, most of them sniffling children. They are virus heaven.

Not to mention in middle/high schools they have desks/tables that over the course of a day like 6-7 different kids will sit at. In many cases: laptops, chrome books, or tablets that are shared by numerous kids throughout the day.

For a long time now a friend of mine and I have been discussing how the structure of youth team sports has actually hurt the various sports and kids in general. When was the last time you saw kids play sandlot baseball? Or touch football in the street? We use to do it all the time. Now is league games or nothing.
My 10/13 year old nephews don’t know a single kid in this gated San Diego community. They do not ‘go out to play’ unless I force them, and then I basically have to take them to the nearby park where the elder of the two moans that it would be better if we went to play (hoops) in the indoor community center, because there’s no wind, and no sun in your eyes... They’re ‘virtual kids’ in a way.

Back in the 70s, you couldn’t keep us indoors. Basically, the only thing I ever got in trouble for was not coming home on time. We played every sport with every kid in the neighborhood, and that was in far harsher east coast weather, not this cushy (amazing) San Diego paradise.

Longstoryshort (too late), my nephew (10) just joined a school soccer team, and only made the B/inexperienced team, because he’s never really played outside of recess. Yet, he thinks he’s going to be a pro...

Last edited:
I get Forza's point - in and of itself that is very refreshing.

But it's kind of bizarre that we're shutting schools down and canceling HS sports tournaments (I have no problem with either btw) but yet I go to the local HS for a run and I see the following: on one side of the field are kids playing soccer, then taking a break and congregating in very close proximity while looking at each other's phones. On the other side of the field they're playing lacrosse and doing the same thing. On my way out I pass a basketball court with a couple dozen kids shooting hoops. What's the point?

It seems like most of the closures were common sense oriented but also done for the avoidance of lawsuits. We need to go beyond half measures and do our best to stifle this thing asap.
You do have a point. The feeling my be that kids are less likely to spread the virus especially in smaller groups. Most cities I hear off siggest no groups larger than 50. Churches still met today. I see hs spring sports still had some practices despite schools closing. Schools here are still doing breakfast and lunches for poorer students ask to do snatch and go. Libraries are open for kids to study and use computers. Bottom line is unless you demand house quarantine for everybody, its playing the odds.

You do have a point. The feeling my be that kids are less likely to spread the virus especially in smaller groups. Most cities I hear off siggest no groups larger than 50. Churches still met today. I see hs spring sports still had some practices despite schools closing. Schools here are still doing breakfast and lunches for poorer students ask to do snatch and go. Libraries are open for kids to study and use computers. Bottom line is unless you demand house quarantine for everybody, its playing the odds.
It looks like the recommendations/requirements will change this week to smaller numbers. This is really affecting AA groups. The groups that meet in the building I manage are trying to go virtual but many of their participants aren't set up for that.

Went for a run at Onondaga Lake Park this afternoon and it looked like a weekend in July with the amount of people there.