OT - Anyone here that cares about preservation have any sway on the Hill? | Syracusefan.com

OT - Anyone here that cares about preservation have any sway on the Hill?

shandeezy7

Living Legend
This is unacceptable. The university already demoed a row of houses on Ostrom (including the Daily Orange house) and have done absolutely nothing with the land. Now this. They demolished an entire neighborhood immediately west of the campus many years ago to build parking lots. How much further are they going to go?

77901BFA-8DDC-4683-9EFF-8FCC8E6386B3.jpeg

This is unacceptable. The university already demoed a row of houses on Ostrom (including the Daily Orange house) and have done absolutely nothing with the land. Now this. They demolished an entire neighborhood immediately west of the campus many years ago to build parking lots. How much further are they going to go?

View attachment 219242

That land on ostrom where they razed buildings will eventually have dorms built on it.

View attachment 219242
That’s too bad. Looks like a beautiful house

That’s too bad. Looks like a beautiful house
It was a beautiful house. We looked at renting it my junior year (1989/90), but it was out of our budget. It had gotten pretty rundown over the years, if I recall.
I will miss seeing it there.

That land on ostrom where they razed buildings will eventually have dorms built on it.

Maybe. That’s what they say, at least, but frankly, I’ve come to distrust most everything that they say these days. It’s unfortunate. And even then, that reasoning doesn’t make it right, especially for an institution that supposedly preaches sustainability and whatnot while demolishing perfectly fine existing structures without concrete, finalized plans. Hypocritical.

A few interesting comments. Many equally as upset as I am.

I lived on S Crouse in 70 the block s boarding E Genesse. Rundown old classic houses w beautiful wood furnishing and some amazing stained glass . Before the tore down the houses they boarded up the windows .My friend asked about getting the windows and the contractors said no .Over a weekend he snuck in and removed several. They ended up in Tucson when he moved away. A shame so much classic handcrafted furnishings got destroyed .

I attended a lot of parties at that address from 88-90.

And I don’t believe it was SU owned at that time, at least I hope it wasn’t. Thank god for no video back then.

And I don’t believe it was SU owned at that time, at least I hope it wasn’t. Thank god for no video back then.

SU bought it in 2020 it looks like, about the same time they were crying poverty but had the funds to buy a 100 year old house and demo it.

Someone protect this house from the University. It'll be next.

It was a beautiful house. We looked at renting it my junior year (1989/90), but it was out of our budget. It had gotten pretty rundown over the years, if I recall.
I will miss seeing it there.
If it was an old house that had fallen into disrepair and nobody planned to buy it to restore it, I have no problem with them getting rid of it. Those are the types of places that end up becoming slum houses.

It's sad seeing places like that go, but someone has to want to restore/maintain it.

what ever happened to the research park on skytop??? the entrance marquee remind me of cemetery now. all its needs are tumbleweeds

Someone protect this house from the University. It'll be next.

I think you should buy it and hold onto it. That will do the trick.