OT - Baseball Cards | Syracusefan.com

OT - Baseball Cards

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
In trying to eliminate clutter in my house, I came across boxes and boxes of baseball cards. Now I know there is essentially zero market for anything other than Mickey Mantle rookie cards, but does anyone have any experience or knowledge of where to sell a collection of thousands of cards? Or is it easier to just throw them away?

In trying to eliminate clutter in my house, I came across boxes and boxes of baseball cards. Now I know there is essentially zero market for anything other than Mickey Mantle rookie cards, but does anyone have any experience or knowledge of where to sell a collection of thousands of cards? Or is it easier to just throw them away?
Whatever you do, don't throw them away. Go to a local card shop and see if they'll make you a deal for the whole lot. Even if you only get $20, it's better than nothing. At the very least, find a kid in your neighborhood who likes baseball and give them to him/her, but don't chuck them.

Find a guy you trust...tell him the years you have. Ask him what cards are worth anything. What I found out...old cards are nothing special. Card Guys are looking for Mint Cards from the old ones. The other option is go to a card show and see who is buying...be prepared to get ripped off. Lastly as DollarBill said, find a kid who might like it.

What timeframe? Pre early-80s is going to be worth a bunch more.

What condition? Unless they are near mint or better (or very old and rare), they are likely worthless.

You can send them to me :). A good buddy of mine is a dealer. You'll have to go through them and tell me what the year range is.

Whatever you do, don't throw them away. Go to a local card shop and see if they'll make you a deal for the whole lot. Even if you only get $20, it's better than nothing. At the very least, find a kid in your neighborhood who likes baseball and give them to him/her, but don't chuck them.

Card shop? I don't think I've seen one in 20 years. When I was a kid, there were 3 just in my neighborhood! But that was when cards were hot and everyone from 8-88 thought they could make a tidy sum off them. The problem was that the card companies were making a tidy sum off the collectors by producing millions more cards. I thought I'd be able to retire off the cards I collected between the ages of 8-14! When I went to get them valued a couple of years ago, boy did I get a shock!

My suggestion to the OP, as I had the same problem of space recently: Either build a nuclear bunker and store them in there for a couple of hundred years until they gain some value or sell them on EBay for peanuts. I had a bunch of box sets and unopened wax boxes from the '80s that I sold for $20-30 each plus shipping. They went fairly quickly. If you have individual cards in albums, good luck! You won't be getting rid of those.

You can send them to me :). A good buddy of mine is a dealer. You'll have to go through them and tell me what the year range is.
I have a few unopened complete sets from the 80s and 90s and a box of individual thousands. I'd be happy to send you a list and see what your buddy thinks.

Card shop? I don't think I've seen one in 20 years. When I was a kid, there were 3 just in my neighborhood! But that was when cards were hot and everyone from 8-88 thought they could make a tidy sum off them. The problem was that the card companies were making a tidy sum off the collectors by producing millions more cards. I thought I'd be able to retire off the cards I collected between the ages of 8-14! When I went to get them valued a couple of years ago, boy did I get a shock!

My suggestion to the OP, as I had the same problem of space recently: Either build a nuclear bunker and store them in there for a couple of hundred years until they gain some value or sell them on EBay for peanuts. I had a bunch of box sets and unopened wax boxes from the '80s that I sold for $20-30 each plus shipping. They went fairly quickly. If you have individual cards in albums, good luck! You won't be getting rid of those.
There are at least a half dozen within 10 miles of my house in Northern NJ.

I had complete Topps sets from 1966 - 1995 (in box, mint condition) that my parents gave me for my birthday every year, along with two complete sets of the Desert Storm sets. The key word there is had. In my government move from Griffiss AFB to Andrews AFB the cards came up missing. At the time they were worth $20,000. The government gave me $2400 for all of them. I was beyond pissed and never had the government move me again. After that I did DITY moves. I still have few cards left. I think the only one of interest is a Ken Griffey Upper Deck rookie card (mint) and a 1966 Lou Brock (nearly mint).

There are at least a half dozen within 10 miles of my house in Northern NJ.

So if the dream of the '90s lives on in Portland, the dream of the '80s lives on in Northern NJ!

At the very least, sell them on eBay, they have an active sports memorabilia section. I collect some different things on there.