OT: Beano Cook passed away | Syracusefan.com

OT: Beano Cook passed away

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
Love him or hate him, a college football fixture.

Ivan Meisel just tweeted that he died in his sleep at the age of 81. RIP.

I enjoyed Beano. Can't believe he was only 81 since he seemed that old the last time he was on ESPN.

A true legend in the sport. RIP, Beano.
i would listen to him and ivan maisel on the espn college football podcast frequently and really enjoyed it. He had been absent since the end of August so this doesnt come as a huge shock. RIP beano

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

he claimed the 59 team was the greatest ever right? and the second string was a top 20 team as well? RIP Beano

I'm reminded of his take when SU beat Nebraska. Basically said it was karma for running up the score in Nebraska the prior year. Was it 63-0? And they ran an on-side kick in the second half. Since then, he's been my favorite college football guy.

I am pretty sure he predicted us to beat miami in 1992.

That sucks. His Podcast with Ivan was the best. He did his last one right before the season and that was it. A few weeks later he updated his website and said he was ill and would hopefully return to it soon. And he was mad this just happened at the beginning of the season.

His knowledge of the history of college football was amazing. He was always funny. One of the all time great personalities. You will never see anybody else like Beano Cook come along!

Beano was like the lovable drunk that was always hanging out at the corner tavern that knew a lot about a lot of topics. Not like Cliff Claven, but someone you wanted to hang out and drink with. Definitely a blue collar guy from Pittsburgh.

That sucks. His Podcast with Ivan was the best. He did his last one right before the season and that was it. A few weeks later he updated his website and said he was ill and would hopefully return to it soon. And he was mad this just happened at the beginning of the season.

His knowledge of the history of college football was amazing. He was always funny. One of the all time great personalities. You will never see anybody else like Beano Cook come along!
maisel said on wednesday that beano was ill but would be back soon. he must have took a turn for the worse last night or this morning.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I have an old NCAA guide that quotes him from when he was the Pitt SID he got that job in 1956. He was 25 at the time. I can remember when 1956 wasn't very long ago and am feeling very old right now.

Beano was always entertaining. I never could quite figure out if he offered much in terms of actually relevant analysis, but he was always 100% entertaining in that "how did this guy end up in this job again?" kind of way. I remember when he used to always appear on that absolutely horrendous "fabulous sports babe" show back in the 90s . His preseason previews consisted of running through each team's schedule. Someone would call in and go, "Hey beano, what do you think of OSU this season?" and he'd, without fail, go, "Well, they have Michigan and Wisconsin at home but they have to travel to Michigan State and play against Miami in Miami." That would be the whole answer. I always loved that.

He was a college basketball fan too, I remember listening to him talking Big East hoops years ago on the radio.

RIP Beano

It's been a few years since he made regular TV appearances, but at one point he was asked if current team X had the best defense ever. He began rattling off some of the greatest defenses of all time and clearly had Syracuse's '59 team at number one.

Lately I'd only heard an occasional podcast with Maisel or in a weekly segment on Cowherd. He was a great character and appeared to be one of he good guys.

The BEST Beano Cook story of them all maybe...

But his years at Pitt were never forgotten. In one tale he often told, as recounted by Sports Illustrated, Mr. Cook received a phone call one day from a woman asking for a copy of the roster of the Pitt football team. Mr. Cook said she should wait until the squad was cut, to 75 or 80 players from the original 120. “Otherwise it’s really a waste of your time,” he said.

But the woman demanded the roster immediately. He asked why. “Because,” she said, “I want to sleep with everybody on the Pitt football team.”

Mr. Cook gasped, but rallied. “Well,” he said, “in alphabetical order, starting at guard ... Cook, Beano.

I loved Beano. An old school guy from an old school place. He knew and loved college football and didn't pretend to be an expert on any other sport. And his quote, "Haven't they suffered enough..?" is an all-time classic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom