OT: Blasphemy Alert - I really like Billy the kid... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Blasphemy Alert - I really like Billy the kid...

jr4750

All American
guy has had his team in the Elite 8 fours years straight. Has a team of seniors that are battle tested and play together. They always show up. Did this before in 2007-2008 and won two championships. All the while, he works at a football school in the heart of the SEC conference, where basketball is an afterthought. Why has he been more successful over the last 8 years than our Hall of Fame coach who had the Melo Center, NC, etc., to work with. Not to mention the best conferences to recruit into, major TV coverage every year, and 26,000 fans a game? Is Billy D a better coach than JB?

guy has had his team in the Elite 8 fours years straight. Has a team of seniors that are battle tested and play together. They always show up. Did this before in 2007-2008 and won two championships. All the while, he works at a football school in the heart of the SEC conference, where basketball is an afterthought. Why has he been more successful over the last 8 years than our Hall of Fame coach who had the Melo Center, NC, etc., to work with. Not to mention the best conferences to recruit into, major TV coverage every year, and 26,000 fans a game? Is Billy D a better coach than JB?
What is amazing is how under the radar he seems. Maybe because the SEC doesn't get much hype as a BB conference, and people think of Florida as a FB school, or it is just hard to break into the conversation with the typical top programs since there isn't decades of history.

I think a key to his success is the stability he seems to get with his players. I can't remember any top-5 guys who are gone early, though I know the 07 team all chose to come back. His only early entry guy in the last 4 drafts was Bradley Beal. But the guys he does seem to be just on the line of being real good college players but not good enough to leave early.

Not gonna say better than JB though (though some could make an argument)...we can check back in 20 years for that one.

he's my dream successor to JB

Billy the Kid is a better bball coach. Doubtful there are many who could argue that considering what he's accomplished and where he's accomplished it. Not an indictment on JB. JB is one of the all-time greats. Billy the Kid just happens to be one of the few on the planet who are better.

Why is this blasphemy? Billy Donovan is the man. I don't think many would disagree with you.

Billy the Kid is a better bball coach. Doubtful there are many who could argue that considering what he's accomplished and where he's accomplished it. Not an indictment on JB. JB is one of the all-time greats. Billy the Kid just happens to be one of the few on the planet who are better.

Yep, that's probably the best way to characterize it. Out of the hundreds of d-1 coaches currently, JB has gotta be in the top 10, but there are certainly a few who I would chose over him, and I hate that about myself, an absolute diehard JB fan! Billy D, Pitino, Izzo, K, for sure... I also really like Self, Matta, and I hate hate this, but Coach Cal... Those guys seem to always get the job done, although so does JB. Just wish he could figure out March a little bit more, and be a little less stubborn on things that may help him in March, and we all know what those are... No need to rehash.

billy is a great college basketball coach and a great ambassador for the game. i believe he coaches the under-18 team for usa basketball... there's talk that he may even succeed coach k as coach of team usa

in addition to all his achievements in the college ranks, billy has an amazing track record of developing/preparing guys for the nba

recent gator draft picks/active players include:

Mike Miller - early 1st
Matt Bonner - late 2nd
David Lee - late 1st
Corey Brewer - early 1st
Al Horford - early 1st
Joakim Noah - early 1st
Marreese Speights - mid 1st
Chandler Parsons - early 2nd
Bradley Beal - early 1st

and i bet we'll see a couple more guys in the coming years

Last edited:
billy is a great college basketball coach and a great ambassador for the game. i believe he coaches the under-18 team for usa basketball... there's talk that he may even succeed coach k as coach of team usa

in addition to all his achievements in the college ranks, billy has an amazing track record of preparing guys for the nba

recent gator draft picks/active players include:

Mike Miller - early 1st
Matt Bonner - late 2nd
David Lee - late 1st
Corey Brewer - early 1st
Al Horford - early 1st
Joakim Noah - early 1st
Marreese Speights - mid 1st
Chandler Parsons - early 2nd
Bradley Beal - early 1st

and i bet we'll see a couple more guys in the coming years

No doubt about it, The Kid can coach and recruit... He's also young enough to be around a long long time. I'd be feeling really good about myself if I was FL. Hopefully, Billy continues to feel he's a college coach and not a NBA guy and stays put. My great hope is that Hop is Billy D light. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom