OT: Coach K and staff didn’t fix Ingram’s shot | Syracusefan.com

OT: Coach K and staff didn’t fix Ingram’s shot

OrangeDW

Living Legend
The Lakers did though.

“Gotta stay in school and improve your shooting before going pro” though! LOL. Coach K didn’t have time for that, having Ingram out there getting 8 ppg or something while trying to relearn how to shoot. He had to win games. These guys(K and Cal) getting credit for “producing top picks” is such a joke. They recruit top picks and win games with them. That’s it. And that’s their job. Just call it what it is.

Ingram got picked high anyways, as he would’ve regardless of where he went to college. And now he’s a professional who works on basketball 24/7/365. His shot looks so much better.

Just some thoughts.

Are you referring to Brandon Ingram, I may be looking at a different player. Not to be snarky but I don't see your point looking at Ingram's stats. The Lakers biggest issue has been his lack of physical strength not his shooting. He's young, only 20 right now, after just one year in college and another in the pros so his best is yet to come if he has a work ethic. Pros will have much more patience in his development being a 6'9 very young small forward selected with the 2nd overall pick in the draft. He only plays 28 minutes a game now for the Lakers, limited until he matures more physically, getting stronger. I apologize if I screwed up and it's another player you are referring to-I'll blame it on age. :p

His stats at Duke - 17.3 PPG: fg% .442: 3 pt %: .410
Pro stats with LA - 9.4 PPG: fg % .402: 3 pt% . 294

Are you referring to Brandon Ingram, I may be looking at a different player. Not to be snarky but I don't see your point looking at Ingram's stats. The Lakers biggest issue has been his lack of physical strength not his shooting. He's young, only 20 right now, after just one year in college and another in the pros so his best is yet to come if he has a work ethic. Pros will have much more patience in his development being a 6'9 very young small forward selected with the 2nd overall pick in the draft. He only plays 28 minutes a game now for the Lakers, limited until he matures more physically, getting stronger. I apologize if I screwed up and it's another player you are referring to-I'll blame it on age. :p

His stats at Duke - 17.3 PPG: fg% .442: 3 pt %: .410
Pro stats with LA - 9.4 PPG: fg % .402: 3 pt% . 294

I’m talking about his form, which was previously an ugly slingshot. Terrible guidehand.

Now it’s smooth, one motion. His poor mechanics were definitely an issue. He’s gotta get stronger, but he’s gotta shoot the ball better. He and the Lakers staff worked hard to fix it and it looks good. I think he’s going to be much improved this season, and provided he can become a solid shooter at this level, I think has star potential.

I’m talking about his form, which was previously an ugly slingshot. Terrible guidehand.

Now it’s smooth, one motion. His poor mechanics were definitely an issue. He’s gotta get stronger, but he’s gotta shoot the ball better. He and the Lakers staff worked hard to fix it and it looks good. I think he’s going to be much improved this season, and provided he can become a solid shooter at this level, I think has star potential.

With all due respect this isn't that uncommon for sure fire one and dones. I know bill self didn't try and change Josh Jacksons shot and I think it makes sense. You change is shot he isn't going to be as effective thus hurting his draft stock. You don't want to make him uncomfortable in the short time he's going to be there. Plus your gonna change his jumper than 8 months from now the team that drafts him is gonna change his form anyway. Plus in Ingrams case he had a great season regardless so I'm not rlly buying into this argument but that's just me.

With all due respect this isn't that uncommon for sure fire one and dones. I know bill self didn't try and change Josh Jacksons shot and I think it makes sense. You change is shot he isn't going to be as effective thus hurting his draft stock. You don't want to make him uncomfortable in the short time he's going to be there. Plus your gonna change his jumper than 8 months from now the team that drafts him is gonna change his form anyway. Plus in Ingrams case he had a great season regardless so I'm not rlly buying into this argument but that's just me.

???

My argument wasn’t that Coach K should’ve changed his form. Like I said, Coach K had him for 1 year and was trying to win games, he didn’t have time to mess with that.

Which is partly why this “developing players” stuff is stupid, for the top prospect 1 and dones. And why the “stay in school and improve your shooting” argument frequently made is misguided. You can do that in the NBA.

I mean it kind of disproves the myth that you HAVE to stay in school if you want to improve as a player

???

My argument wasn’t that Coach K should’ve changed his form. Like I said, Coach K had him for 1 year and was trying to win games, he didn’t have time to mess with that.

Which is partly why this “developing players” stuff is stupid, for the top prospect 1 and dones. And why the “stay in school and improve your shooting” argument frequently made is misguided. You can do that in the NBA.

My apologies i read that incorrectly, i think changing the shot is warranted depending on the player and the situation, in Jackson and Ingrams case you don't change it because you want to win games and if you know they are leaving after the season theres no point to do it, however if your coaching someone like Matt Moyer thats when you'd want to change the form and tweek the mechanics, but after reading fully again what you say i agree with your assessment

I mean it kind of disproves the myth that you HAVE to stay in school if you want to improve as a player

Def a myth, the NBA drafts on potential mostly, for some players though it isn't a month, mostly program players and multi-year guys, (like moyer mentioned above) but for others why bother when the NBA is just going to change it again in a few months

Stay in school if you can improve your draft stock,not necessarily your shot. It didn't matter how bad Ingrams shot was, he was still going to make the big bucks.

The Lakers did though.

“Gotta stay in school and improve your shooting before going pro” though! LOL. Coach K didn’t have time for that, having Ingram out there getting 8 ppg or something while trying to relearn how to shoot. He had to win games. These guys(K and Cal) getting credit for “producing top picks” is such a joke. They recruit top picks and win games with them. That’s it. And that’s their job. Just call it what it is.

Ingram got picked high anyways, as he would’ve regardless of where he went to college. And now he’s a professional who works on basketball 24/7/365. His shot looks so much better.

Just some thoughts.
Are you saying that coach K and Cal made these kids go to class and their skills suffered from this tragedy ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom