OT - Derek Jeter announces he will retire after 2014 season | Syracusefan.com

OT - Derek Jeter announces he will retire after 2014 season

cap.jpg

The Captain.

Next stop: Cooperstown.

This makes me feel old :(

Agreed. I feel like my childhood is officially retiring as well.

Surely Jeter will enjoy every bit of this final season, and witness how loved he is by the entire world of baseball. When Mo took the mound for the last time, it gave me chills for hours. I think I'll cry when Jeter takes his last curtain call, and one day I'll enjoy telling my grandkids what it was like to watch #2 play shortstop in the Bronx.

My mom's favorite as well. I always thought world peace could be achieved if everyone worked as hard, behaved as well, and banged as many models as Derek did over the course of his career. There is no more well rounded champion that exists for anyone from age 30-40. Brady is second, but the Captain stands alone.

*Announces. I wish I could edit the title.

Wow. I feel like this is a huge moment in not just Yankee's history, but sports history.

He's a first ballot hall of famer, no doubt. A classy guy.

I never understood the fascination with Yankees fans trying to push Jeter as even greater than he his, and expecting the rest of the baseball world should feel the same. Most baseball fans think he is great, but not the elite of the elite (in terms of all timers) Why the fascination with expecting the rest of the baseball world to feel like this is a great moment in sports history.

Jordan retiring, Gretzky trade, Tiger getting outed for pounding 168 p-stars and skanks. Those were monumental days in sports history as it touched all fans of those sports. (good or bad)

Last edited:
I don't get sentimental about much in sports but 2003, and Mos retirement were biggies for me. This is in between those...a big one. Once in a lifetime player.

Edit: I do get sentimental about my Danny schayes autographs.

Damn, its sad when Donnie, Paul and Bernie retired. Now all the core four. I wonder if he would have stayed a few more years had the ankle injury not happened.

He's a first ballot hall of famer, no doubt. A classy guy.

I never understood the fascination with Yankees fans trying to push Jeter as even greater than he his ... like he is the elite of the elite (a great amongst the greats). Its a special day (and season) for Yankees fan. You definitely deserve to be proud and enjoy him. By why the fascination with expecting the rest of the baseball world to feel like this is a great moment in sports history. Why do you want everybody else to elevate Jeter as if he is a top 10 player of all time.

Jordan retiring, Gretzky trade, Tiger getting outed for pounding 168 p-stars and skanks. Those were monumental days in sports history as it touched all fans of those sports. (good or bad)
The fan base you speak of is a large one. As far as Tiger goes, I don't know that his conquests were more monumental than the Grand Slams he missed out on.

Go Expos. 2014 is our year.

Reactions: MGP
I can't stand the Yankees but even I respect both Rivera and Jeter.

Understood. For as much as I dislike the Red Sox, I had great respect for Yaz, & Dewey Evans, and have today for Dustin Pedroia - who will probably play his way into a similar place with the Red Sox faithful by the time he's done. Here's hoping for him to do that, anyway.

Reactions: MGP