OT: ESPN Bottom Line | Syracusefan.com

OT: ESPN Bottom Line

PoppyHart

All American
During "big" events, like MNF game, they (thankfully imo) remove the ticker.

Why? Do they believe the ticker distracts from the viewing experience?

If so, why do they ever use it? I'd be surprised if it is a significant (or any) source of advertising revenue.

I'd be curious to know their justification.

Maybe it is a stipulation of the NFL in their contract with ESPN to cover MNF?

During "big" events, like MNF game, they (thankfully imo) remove the ticker.

Why? Do they believe the ticker distracts from the viewing experience?

If so, why do they ever use it? I'd be surprised if it is a significant (or any) source of advertising revenue.

I'd be curious to know their justification.
Good question(s), have wondered about this myself

I personally never find it distracting, but that may be because I grew up watching 19" CRT black and white TVs with the help of rabbit ears. A lot more real estate on modern televisions.

I freaking hate it because at times ill be DVRING or already DVR'd a game on another channel while watching a live event on ESPN..and despite all my efforts, my eye will catch the result scrolling across the bottom.

It distracts me, well not tonight because I am a Cowboys fan, and I was focused on the game, but I do find the bottom line distracting.

My best guess is that is served more of a purpose before mobile devices connected to the internet became a widespread thing. It still gives you bits of info that can be useful, though not something you'd bother looking up, but that info (scores) was a lot more useful when you weren't 3 clicks away from finding out who won the out of market basketball game you were interested in.

I remember there was a game on ESPN earlier this year for CFB. It was a Hail Mary to win the game and the scoreboard was VERY close to covering up where the player caught the ball during the live feed. I'm guessing ESPN wants to keep anything like that from happening during their biggest TV block during the week.

I yearn for the days ESPN ticker was at :28 and :58 of each hour and not constant.
I can't watch ESPN for anything but sports now. The network just sucks beyond live content. Skip and Stephen A. Show Should be used as torture for persons of interest.

The ticker thing has never been an issue for me. My eyes are so bad that I can never read it.

The ticker thing has never been an issue for me. My eyes are so bad that I can never read it.
So, you are saying that they should make it bigger?

I yearn for the days ESPN ticker was at :28 and :58 of each hour and not constant.
I can't watch ESPN for anything but sports now. The network just sucks beyond live content. Skip and Stephen A. Show Should be used as torture for persons of interest.
I totally agree. I wish they had more shows that break down plays or interview players and coaches or shows like 30 for 30. All these guys just giving us their opinions about sports doesn't make any sense. I don't need them to tell me how to think.

I freaking hate it because at times ill be DVRING or already DVR'd a game on another channel while watching a live event on ESPN..and despite all my efforts, my eye will catch the result scrolling across the bottom.
Just put a strip of black tape across the bottom of your glasses...problem fixed and if you don't wear glasses,get some