OT - ESPN the Ocho | Syracusefan.com

OT - ESPN the Ocho

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
No, it’s not really ESPN 8, and it’s not the National Dodgeball Championship. But it’s close...

ESPN2 is currently airing the Cornhole Championships.

Yes, a drunken tailgate game is now a nationally televised sport. SMH

No, it’s not really ESPN 8, and it’s not the National Dodgeball Championship. But it’s close...

My wife is actually a ranked cornhole player on the women’s side in PA. We’ll play in on weekends in tournaments; the top players are absurdly good. I found it entertaining to watch.

My wife is actually a ranked cornhole player on the women’s side in PA. We’ll play in on weekends in tournaments; the top players are absurdly good. I found it entertaining to watch.
:) Well,, good for you!
What's the trick? Sliding it right down the middle? Or is it like curling?

Saw this the other day around 7pm on espn. Was wondering if I was watching the Ocho. Was like a 21 year old against a 45 year old. They had special bags and all. What have we come to.

:) Well,, good for you!
What's the trick? Sliding it right down the middle? Or is it like curling?

Generally guys will try to slide it up the board if they have the first throw in a round; either it goes in the hole or you block your opponent. Depending on where bags are, sometimes trying to “air mail” it directly in the hole is your best option. I think comparing to curling is probably not bad; there’s a fair amount of strategy for the top players.

Generally guys will try to slide it up the board if they have the first throw in a round; either it goes in the hole or you block your opponent. Depending on where bags are, sometimes trying to “air mail” it directly in the hole is your best option. I think comparing to curling is probably not bad; there’s a fair amount of strategy for the top players.

I Go out of my way to find a bar shuffleboard table. Full length preferably.

The SEC has a league. Georgia is pretty good but Arkansas won it

I remember when ESPN started. They showed a lot of tractor pull events. It was all they could get accredited for and/or afford. Then, the Big East came along. And suddenly they were legit.

Last edited:

My son told me this was on, and I didn't believe him at first. I had to go and see for myself. Brings me back to the early days of ESPN when late night programming consisted of the Canadian Lumberjack Championships, of which log rolling was my preferred event. I admit I watch the Premier League Darts occasionally, but I don't see how Cornhole is appealing if you're not at a beach with a beer in your hand.

My kid was down at spring break at FT Lauderdale and they had a professional set up with a board to win tickets to some big concert if you could beat him. They were there for an hr and not one person did. he basically just tied everyone as he needed too.

its really horse shoes

It's only going to get worse. The rise of e-sports has led to ESPN broadcasting competitions in this as well. I am of the video game generation and still play ( rarely as time is sparse) but as a sport on TV???

I can see it now though. Retirement homes in 40 years will be more like arcades...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom