OT: ESPN3 Stream | Syracusefan.com

OT: ESPN3 Stream

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
I had a ton of buffering issues and poor quality broadcast issues on my 3.5 yr old laptop comp uter (Toshiba AMD X2 Dual Core w/Vista). I'm now running an ACER Core I5 with Windows 8. I have Roadrunner w/Turbo.

The good news: very little buffering now.
Bad news: the picture quality was crummy the last 7 mins or so for the first half. Normally it has been much improved since using the new computer.

It seems like a new, more powerful computer will help your buffering. Picture quality don't think too much. Computer geeks: thoughts?

I'm watching on ESPN3 too, but I'm on my XBox, it's like watching it on TV, very smooth and no buffering at all.

You can get an XBox for about $200 and stream ESPN3 and Netflix on it (although there's a monthly charge for Netflix), it might be worth it even if you don't play video games. The picture is crystal clear and it runs very smooth.

Jekelish seemed to be having the same issue, but mine didn't buffer at all and it was actually very smooth all along. I just wish the resolution wasn't so poor...
Oh and I have a water-cooled PC, so no issues with performance here.

I'm watching on my Lenovo thinkpad - about a year old. No buffering issues at all and the picture is really good.

I'm watching on ESPN3 too, but I'm on my XBox, it's like watching it on TV, very smooth and no buffering at all.

You can get an XBox for about $200 and stream ESPN3 and Netflix on it (although there's a monthly charge for Netflix), it might be worth it even if you don't play video games. The picture is crystal clear and it runs very smooth.
You also need an Xbox Live Gold acct to utilize the ESPN app, YouTube app etc., tho.

What do you mean by picture quality? What was your quality set to by ESPN3? (From 1 to 5).

With anything bought in the last three years if you get below a 5 that's your internet connection. Streaming video doesn't use up that much CPU, just make sure there is nothing else running.

I can stream ESPN3 at highest quality over WiFi on a 4 year old laptop. Obviously I'm on cable internet with a top of the line DOCSIS 3.0 modem (my own, not from cable company) and my own Linksys router.

On the ESPN3 they have like 5 levels of little red boxes. 1 red box=crappy picture 4 or 5boxes=real nice picture

Fluctuates due to cable bandwidth

my quality was decent for most of the game. but it did rewind about 5 minutes at least 3 times.

i only had to ff to live... but the 1st and the last time, i had no idea it rewound... just thought it buffered - until i noticed the score or the exact same play i had just watched... it was frustrating.

buffering has little to do with your computer.. its all internet driven .

Your computer and internet connection are fine. It was simply Rutgirls' suckiness that messed up your quality. You should be back to normal for the next game.

My picture quality dropped of significantly the last 5 minutes. Otherwise it was fine. Living in AZ, that matched up with when a lot of people in my neighborhood got home from work and probably went on their computers. Usually the more use, the slower it gets.

For whatever reason, I actually had the game on ESPN Full Court even though I don't subscribe. Just on a whim, I checked and bang - the game was there. I have Comcast. If I tried to record it, it told me I had to buy the $119 Full Court package, but it let me watch the whole thing. You guys may want to check, I assume there must be a free preview week going on or something.