OT - Generic Letter on Syracusefan.com letterhead declining all wedding invitations in March | Syracusefan.com

OT - Generic Letter on Syracusefan.com letterhead declining all wedding invitations in March

Victory Lap

Scout Team
With some exceptions, most southern folks are college football oriented, so they avoid scheduling weddings in the fall and end up scheduling a lot during March because of Spring Break, etc. Since I've relocated to ATL, I've had to make tough life decisions on skipping weddings to watch Cuse games.

Our ability to watch games via smartphone is making progress but seriously deficient thus far (in terms of content and whether the game will be available, and in terms of risking that I won't get service from AT&T in the church/reception hall).

Can someone please draft a generic letter on Syracusefan.com letterheard declining invitations to all March weddings? And attach a petition of concerned fans whose Marches are rudely interrupted by poor wedding planning. I'll send it out to every non-married friend (and every married friend whose marriage is on the rocks, just in case)

Please?

You are in luck. Here is an actual letter I sent to two friends of mine earlier this month in response to their March 31 wedding invitation (only the names are changed).

Hi, Bob and Peggy --
As Bob knows, I have a potential conflict on the evening of March 31. If Syracuse is playing in the Final Four, I will be in New Orleans that evening. Conceivably, I may not know for certain until March 25 whether I am going to New Orleans (unless Syracuse inexplicably loses earlier in the NCAA tournament).
I realize this may sound like a tacky excuse. I really want to attend the wedding, but Syracuse basketball is my favorite hobby and I travel to all SU games during the NCAA tournament. (And we will likely be a #1 seed this year).
I hope you can wait until a later date to know whether I can attend. If not, I will understand.
Sincerely,

Here is one I like to use.

Dear Friends:

The fact that you scheduled a wedding in the month of March just shows how inconsiderate you are as people. If you think for one minute I am going to attend your lame ass wedding to miss one second of the NCAA tournament you are crazy. Next time get an clue and get married in the summer when nothing is going on. Throw in the chances you will be divorced are about 50-50 just further proves why I am wasting any money that I will be giving you as a gift.

Anyways, hope you have a great life together. Go Orange!

Dear Sir and/or Madam:

Thank you for the invitation to your March 31st gathering. As you know, I am a huge Syracuse basketball fan, and you've gone ahead and planned a major event on the same evening as the Regional Semifinals. As it stands right now, it looks like the team will be seeded #1 in their region (likely Boston) for the NCAA tournament. However, it also is a strong possibility that North Carolina could be the #2 seed in the same region. If that ends up being the case, I'll have the chicken and I'd prefer to sit with the groom's side of the family at the reception.

Am I the only one who planned their wedding around the sporting calendar? I mean literally the entire years sports calendar I had out and we picked the weekend that nothing was going on. September - December? Um, no. NFL, Syracuse football and MLB playoffs. January - March? NFL playoffs and Syracuse Basketball. No chance. April? The Masters (and my wifes bday which is a certain no-no to get married on your bday). May - July was the only option. We settled in June but had to plan it around the US open golf tournament.

Needless to say 17 years and counting...

My in-laws are staying with us for week of the BE tourney. I have a DVR but obviously I'd prefer to watch games live. Might have to watch the selection show later that Sunday night.

My wife invited some couples to come over for dinner the night of Saturday the 24th. I'm going be like a crackhead who needs a hit, badly.

My in-laws are staying with us for week of the BE tourney. I have a DVR but obviously I'd prefer to watch games live. Might have to watch the selection show later that Sunday night.

My wife invited some couples to come over for dinner the night of Saturday the 24th. I'm going be like a crackhead who needs a hit, badly.
Cant watch the games with the inlaws? We were invited to go somewhere at 3:00 on Selection Sunday and it took me 15 minutes to compose myself from the laughter when my wife asked if we were going.

Sounds like you have some serious marital issues. You need to get your wife on board.

Rule#1: She needs to include you in every decision. None of this that she invited people over.
Rule #2: Pick your battles. Stick with the most passionate sports. Cuse basketball and football. NY Giants Football. One NBA team. Yankees playoffs or games vs Boston and Mets. Give up the other stuff, even if it's a Yankees game on a Tuesday night vs Detroit. Give up hockey. Give up watching football all day long. Give up Sportscenter.
Rule#3: Buy her and her folks tickets to the BE. Quality time with her and your team.
Rule #4: See rule one.

Am I the only one who planned their wedding around the sporting calendar? I mean literally the entire years sports calendar I had out and we picked the weekend that nothing was going on. September - December? Um, no. NFL, Syracuse football and MLB playoffs. January - March? NFL playoffs and Syracuse Basketball. No chance. April? The Masters (and my wifes bday which is a certain no-no to get married on your bday). May - July was the only option. We settled in June but had to plan it around the US open golf tournament.

It was my girlfriend's birthday yesterday (she goes to school about an hour away from me) and I didn't visit her this weekend because of the game last night. Needless to say, she wasn't too happy.

It was my girlfriend's birthday yesterday (she goes to school about an hour away from me) and I didn't visit her this weekend because of the game last night. Needless to say, she wasn't too happy.

She will get over it. If she doesnt then it just wasnt meant to be.

I used same strategy as you. Arrived at June 10th. Was watching us open in st Thomas. I was ok with that.

I used same strategy as you. Arrived at June 10th. Was watching us open in st Thomas. I was ok with that.
Ha! June 10 for me as well. Too funny.

Here is one I like to use.

Dear Friends:

The fact that you scheduled a wedding in the month of March just shows how inconsiderate you are as people. If you think for one minute I am going to attend your lame ass wedding to miss one second of the NCAA tournament you are crazy. Next time get an clue and get married in the summer when nothing is going on. Throw in the chances you will be divorced are about 50-50 just further proves why I am wasting any money that I will be giving you as a gift.

Anyways, hope you have a great life together. Go Orange!

Classic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom