OT: Headed to NYC | Syracusefan.com

OT: Headed to NYC

FireballPhil

2nd String
Funny thing, I grew up in NY, graduating from Mexico, but had never been to NYC before. I am getting married October 13th, and we are going to go to the city for a couple days, then head back upstate for a few days. I am looking for some opinions on inexpensive places to stay that are nice, good places to eat, the hidden gems of the city to visit. Any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance!

The lodging I don't know about because I always stay with friends. I did some college there as well. LOTS of food gems all over. These are my favorites.

Supper- Inexpensive rustic Italian. They have a daily risotto. Enough said. Very cool place. E2nd between Ave A/B.

The Breslin- Restaurant and bar in the Ace Hotel. Just a really cool space. Their lamb burger is ridiculous. W29th between 5th/6th Ave. Here you are a VERY close to Koreatown. If you like Korean food then pop into almost any of the places on 32nd. This is a MUST for me.

Momofoku and Larmen- I'm into Asian so those are two authentic noodle (ramen) spots.

Pegu Club- Lounge, craft cocktail spot. Some of the best drinks I have ever had. Get there on the early side. Labor-intensive cocktails so it can take awhile. W Houston by W Lafeyette/Broadway.

These are more of the gems. The non-touristy places. I also think just popping into the Hudson Hotel and getting a drink at one of their bars is always fun. Incredible space.

Sushi and Indian I could go nuts in NYC. So many great places. Chola, Jewel Bako, Blue Ribbon, Sushi Yasuda, etc.

Mexican food: Arriba, Arriba on 51st and 9th Ave. Italian bistro: Zampa on 13th street and 8th avenue. Wine bar: Bin 71 on 71st and Columbus. Rooftop bar: Ava Lounge at the Dream Hotel on 55th between Broadway and 7th. People seem to love the Shake Shacks burger restaurants a lot.

I always take guests on the Circle Line boat tour. It is three hours (insert Gilligan's Island joke here). The guides are good, there are great views, and you learn a ton about all of the boroughs in those three hours. Great photo ops!

If you have the money to spend.
Or you can always buy a car at the same price.

Some solid food choices above. You really can't go wrong with food in NYC unless you want good wings then there are only a couple places that are adequate.

Not sure what type of going out scene you are into but on the lower east side the following places are my frequent stomps and are mostly dive to a little better than dive bars:
Sixth Ward (Trivia Night on Tuesdays, Back Patio, Pool Table), Whiskey Ward (for the Whiskey of course), Boss Tweeds (Reminds you of a small college bar that's cheap and has pop a shot, darts, pong tables and back patio), Dempseys (sports bar), One and One (pitcher deals and late night happy hour) and my favorite a small place National Underground (music every night, hipster specials - $5 pbr/sierra nevada can and whiskey shot, live karaoke band on some nights including a guy who plays with Huey Lewis and the News, another who is usually on tour with Bieber and is owned by Gavin DeGraw who is in there quite often)

lombardis for pizza, just for the history. the pie is awesome as well. Palermo Cafe has great cannoli for a nice end to an evening stroll in the village.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I stayed at the Hilton in times square for $120 a few years ago. It was pretty nice. Prepare to lose your car as soon as you check in tho

Congrat's. You'll need energy, so Carnegie delli might be a good idea (midtown around 7th and 55th). If you enjoy art, the Met (museum) is huge. Ground zero is a must-see, and for a cheap but enjoyable boat ride, try the staten island ferry.