OT: Holy crap, Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Holy crap, Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead

Tragic but has NOTHING to do with BBall forum
It wasn't like the thread title was misleading. Did you think a discussion of the pros and cons of the 2-3 zone was going to break out in it? You knew exactly what you were getting when you clicked to open it. Based on your response, I'm not sure why you did.

iommi said:
Heroin is a very bad thing.

PSH was one versatile actor...from the creepy s e x ually confused guy in Boogie Nights to his haunting portrayal of Truman Capote, in In Cold Blood, the guy was amazing. The guy even could do comedy. He made Along Came Polly watchable, as all his scenes were hysterical.

Huge loss.

Addictions are very sad. I just can't fathom how people transcend to heroin but it is an obviously "drug of choice". I'm just happy that among a few other things, I get my high from Cuse basketball.

I'm not sure who underrated his acting? He was considered a very good actor. Maybe under appreciated by some, but not underrated by those in the profession.

I guess I look at under rated in respect to the roles he has played aren't flashy or something talked about when you start going on about the best movies and biggest names in Hollywood.

Heroin is a very bad thing.

PSH was one versatile actor...from the creepy s e x ually confused guy in Boogie Nights to his haunting portrayal of Truman Capote, in In Cold Blood, the guy was amazing. The guy even could do comedy. He made Along Came Polly watchable, as all his scenes were hysterical.

Huge loss.
His greatest contribution to pop culture came in the movie Along Came Polly with coining the phrase "shart" and "sharting". I literally keeled over in laughter when I heard it then and still makes me laugh now.

He and I are the same age and we both grew up in Fairport. R.I.P.

So now we have Paul Walker and Philip Seymour Hoffman, both taken too early and during breaks in filming of big movies. Question is...who is the third?

I never heard of the guy until today to be honest but then I'm not a movie fan, he must've been a well respected actor. Surprisingly, to me, ABC World News led off their half hour of news talking about his life and death and spent the first 7+ minutes doing so - I can't remember them doing that for any actor/celebrity before.

RIP

He and I are the same age and we both grew up in Fairport. R.I.P.

The dad of one of my son's new best friend's (he just started a new school this year) went to HS with him. Wonder if you know him (the dad) as well.

I never heard of the guy until today to be honest but then I'm not a movie fan, he must've been a well respected actor. Surprisingly, to me, ABC World News led off their half hour of news talking about his life and death and spent the first 7+ minutes doing so - I can't remember them doing that for any actor/celebrity before.

RIP

Great, great, great actor. Did a lot of amazing and different characters. It's sad to me that true artists like this don't get the big dollars that the pretty boys do (Costner, Denzel, etc...).

Very sad loss.

How do you stay sober for 22 or so years and then go right to heroin?

i can understand how people can get hooked on heroin given that they've tried it. after getting a taste of morphine, i get it. it's supposed to be even better than morphine which is hard for me to believe (what can be better than morphine)

i don't know how people even try it for the first time. gotta be really fd up on something else to even consider it

Really sad. My father went to HS with him and his younger brother. He was a great guy, and an amazing actor. Obviously had his demons. It hurts to see people go through stuff like this and never quite overcome it.

One of the sad things that I've read now is that he had been clean and sober for 20+ years, and only got addicted again when a doctor, fully knowing his history with addiction, prescribed him pain pills last year. He got addicted to those, and that sent him spiraling back down the rabbit hole, apparently.

The dad of one of my son's new best friend's (he just started a new school this year) went to HS with him. Wonder if you know him (the dad) as well.
I PMed you. Curious if I know your friend also.

Really sad. My father went to HS with him and his younger brother. He was a great guy, and an amazing actor. Obviously had his demons. It hurts to see people go through stuff like this and never quite overcome it.
Could you PM me your dad's name?